Random Football Observations

If anyone wants to watch one of the greatest football stories of all time, check out ESPN after the Heisman ceremony tonight.The kids are right to be pissed and Kelly was right to leave. Notre Dame is probably a dream job for an irish catholic guy like Kelly. What they should do is change the transfer rules for players because if a coach can do this then a player should not have to sit out a year for transferring. But the NCAA is an organization of frauds, hypocrites and asshats so....

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did anyone just watch that 3rd and 7 scramble? Cam is such an incredible creature.

That Bama-Auburn ending is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. How fabulous.

If anyone wants to watch one of the greatest football stories of all time, check out ESPN after the Heisman ceremony tonight.
LOL I like how you both pimp the U documentary with hyperbole, and yet don't name it. Either way, this documentary is great. I wish I'd been a miami fan as a kid, I think I would have been at least 30 percent cooler. My earliest sports memory is the Nebraska-miami national championship game, it broke my heart, and I hated miami for years after. But now, those teams had such amazing swagger, so hilarious, and thugish and amazing. I would love this team today.
I could really care less about the Vikings in general, but I agree with you that they looked bad last night. I really like the Cardinals. Even when they lose they are fun to watch and everyone on the team seems like a such a nice guy. Also, if Warner is protected I don't think they can be stopped offensively. If you get pressure on Warner, your chances of winning are greater than 60%. If you get no pressure on Warner, your chances of winning are 0%.I would take the Cardinals against the Colts, Saints, Patriots, etc any day of the week, if Warner wasn't being pressured.
Most NFL QB's will kill you with no pressure. That's kinda the point of pressuring them.
LOL I like how you both pimp the U documentary with hyperbole, and yet don't name it. Either way, this documentary is great. I wish I'd been a miami fan as a kid, I think I would have been at least 30 percent cooler. My earliest sports memory is the Nebraska-miami national championship game, it broke my heart, and I hated miami for years after. But now, those teams had such amazing swagger, so hilarious, and thugish and amazing. I would love this team today.
I thought that was a nice touch by me.Documentary was amazing. Being a Miami fan was like being a fan of the 2007 Patriots over and over for a decade. We were the villains and it was fun. I was at a bunch of the games they showed (including the 1991 Orange Bowl shutout of Nebraska). I still talk about that 1990 Cotton Bowl with some friends down here.Simmons has a good podcast up with LeBatard about the documentary. LeBatard talks about a bunch of amazing stories that did not make the cut.I never knew that Jerome Brown and the Canes were responsible for TV's decision to stop taping coin tosses. Awesome.
I thought that was a nice touch by me.Documentary was amazing. Being a Miami fan was like being a fan of the 2007 Patriots over and over for a decade. We were the villains and it was fun. I was at a bunch of the games they showed (including the 1991 Orange Bowl shutout of Nebraska). I still talk about that 1990 Cotton Bowl with some friends down here.Simmons has a good podcast up with LeBatard about the documentary. LeBatard talks about a bunch of amazing stories that did not make the cut.I never knew that Jerome Brown and the Canes were responsible for TV's decision to stop taping coin tosses. Awesome.
Jerome Brown was such a stud. He could have been one of the best pro DT's of all time, if he wouldn't have died young. He was only 27 when he died. That 1991 orange bowl is traumatic to watch. Osborne got a ton of heat for that game, there was a serious outcry that he should retire/be fired. Starting with that wretched 1983 national title game, osborne went through a long stretch of losing basically every big game he was in, they said he couldn't win the big games at all. And by 1991, their defense was terribly old fashioned. They ran the 5-2 til the start of the 1993 season ( which not coincidentally, they made the national title game against FSU that year). They just looked so much slower and inferior to Miami in that orange bowl, I never thought Nebraska would win another national championship. Little did I know what was to come.
Most NFL QB's will kill you with no pressure. That's kinda the point of pressuring them.
Yeah, this is totally untrue. You need to watch more football involving teams that aren't the Colts.There is no way that the list of QB's that are guaranteed to 'kill you', with no pressure, exceeds 5.
Yeah, this is totally untrue. You need to watch more football involving teams that aren't the Colts.There is no way that the list of QB's that are guaranteed to 'kill you', with no pressure, exceeds 5.
Wow you couldn't be more wrong. Because I have been a Colts fan since the beginning I have seen many no-name QB's play the Colts (before the success of the 21st century) and totally burn the Colts defense specifically because the Colts had zero pass rush. You give most NFL QB's no pressure and time to look around and they will kill you.

Is it me or have NFL teams been deferring after winning the toss this year? It happens in college football all the time but it seams like it's happening more in the NFL this year then in the past. Thoughts?

Is it me or have NFL teams been deferring after winning the toss this year? It happens in college football all the time but it seams like it's happening more in the NFL this year then in the past. Thoughts?
Lol @ the announcer who analyzed this decision by discussing the merits of "giving Manning an extra possession."
Wow you couldn't be more wrong. Because I have been a Colts fan since the beginning I have seen many no-name QB's play the Colts (before the success of the 21st century) and totally burn the Colts defense specifically because the Colts had zero pass rush. You give most NFL QB's no pressure and time to look around and they will kill you.
Agree to disagree.

what a LOLLERSKATZ game that Eagles Giants game is. DeSean Jackson is my new favorite player in the league. First he gets a touchdown, and as he does he moonwalks into the endzone.. then the next posession, on 3rd down, he misses a deep ball out of bounds, and starts talking shit to the db, getting in his face. The DB head bumps him ( not hard ) talking shit back like basically everyone in the league does when talking shit.. and DeSean Jackson takes an exaggerated soccer style dive backwards.. holding his arms up to the ref begging for the flag. I fell off my elliptical machine laughing at that. He's the greatest.

The kids are right to be pissed and Kelly was right to leave. Notre Dame is probably a dream job for an irish catholic guy like Kelly. What they should do is change the transfer rules for players because if a coach can do this then a player should not have to sit out a year for transferring. But the NCAA is an organization of frauds, hypocrites and asshats so....
I don't have a problem with him leaving, but he should stay to coach the bowl game. Imagine the reaction if a player said he's going to sit out the bowl game because he doesn't want to risk getting injured before the draft.
I agree with this. However, I also think it's a bad idea to do a lot of blitzing. That's why the best defenses are the ones that can get pressure on the QB with just their front four.
Documentary was amazing.Simmons has a good podcast up with LeBatard about the documentary. LeBatard talks about a bunch of amazing stories that did not make the cut.
Yes to both. I wasn't really a fan of any college team when I was a kid, but I remember liking those mid to late 80's Miami teams. I also remember not being able to watch the Miami-Penn State game, but hearing an update about how they lost because Vinny threw a million interceptions and how everybody around me was so happy about that.
It's because the NFL didn't have the option to defer until this year.
It's because the NFL didn't have the option to defer until this year.
It was actually last year that the rule was added. Maybe do some research before pretending to know what you're talking about.Also, Sam, this means it either took you a year to realize it or a year for the coaches to figure out they should defer.

A telling tale of Ted Ginn:It was reported in many places that Ted Ginn challenged the Titans RB Chris Johnson to a foot race.....then backed out. I read about it on the website of Ft. Lauderdale's newspaper, the Sun Sentinel. The dolphins fans who posted, instead of defending Ginn or calling Johnson a loudmouth for bringing this up now, were uniform in trashing Ginn for being a coward, a bitch, etc.I dont like Ginn either but this is borderline hilarious. Ginn is a pariah down here. The best part is if I had to pick the Dolphins Least Valuable Player it would be Gibril Wilson easy....he has had way more "oops" moments than Ginn this year.

A telling tale of Ted Ginn:It was reported in many places that Ted Ginn challenged the Titans RB Chris Johnson to a foot race.....then backed out. I read about it on the website of Ft. Lauderdale's newspaper, the Sun Sentinel. The dolphins fans who posted, instead of defending Ginn or calling Johnson a loudmouth for bringing this up now, were uniform in trashing Ginn for being a coward, a bitch, etc.I dont like Ginn either but this is borderline hilarious. Ginn is a pariah down here. The best part is if I had to pick the Dolphins Least Valuable Player it would be Gibril Wilson easy....he has had way more "oops" moments than Ginn this year.
This is disappointing. I'm much more interested in finding out who is the faster of two incredibly fast players, and not which team wins this game.

BEST SINGLE-SEASON TEAM: Miami (2001)Behind a staggering collection of talent largely recruited by predecessor Butch Davis, first-year coach Larry Coker led the 'Canes to a 12-0 record and national championship while outscoring opponents 512-117. The roster included 16 future first-round picks and 12 Pro Bowlers, led by safety Ed Reed, running backs Clinton Portis and Frank Gore, receiver Andre Johnson, tight end Jeremy Shockey and linebacker Jonathan VilmaWOW. 12 Pro Bowlers on one college roster. That is incredible. And that roster just lost Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss and Dan Morgan.