This is a great example of why it's impossible (and somewhat silly, imo) to measure how "balanced" a network is. Here's their main theme:Meanwhile, Fox's Special Report was dramatically tougher on Obama, with only 36% favorable vs. 64% unfavorable evaluations during the same time period. But McCain didn't fare much better, garnering only 40% favorable comments vs. 60% negative ones. So the broadcast networks gave good marks to one candidate and bad marks to another, while Fox was tough on both--and most balanced overall.So, maybe they are "balanced." But, why would I want my news to be "balanced?" I want my news to be correct (and interesting, if possible....). If MSNBC reports that the sky is blue, and CNN reports the sky is blue, and FOX gives equal coverage to it being blue and it being red, are they more "balanced?" Does that make them better in some way?
When it comes to politics and politicians I want my news to be hard on them, always.But I love my country and appreciate the role the free press was supposed to carry in our wonderful system of checks and balances.Liberals do not!
(Just so we're clear, and so I don't confuse HBlask ( :club: ), I'm saying it's possible McCain was a pretty crappy candidate and deserved to have worse coverage. Thus, giving them equally favorable coverage would in fact be biased...)
This is a good point, for a liberal.
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, my point was made perfectly above, but it's made a lot funnier by the following analogy:A group of people have several scales, and they're trying to determine if the scales work correctly or if they are biased. So, they have two weights and they put them on the scale. Scale 1 says weight A is heaver than weight B. Scale 2 says weight A is heaver than weight B. Scale 3 says they both weigh the same.Which scale is broken? Which scale works the best?

So, my point was made perfectly above, but it's made a lot funnier by the following analogy:A group of people have several scales, and they're trying to determine if the scales work correctly or if they are biased. So, they have two weights and they put them on the scale. Scale 1 says weight A is heaver than weight B. Scale 2 says weight A is heaver than weight B. Scale 3 says they both weigh the same.Which scale is broken? Which scale works the best?
Depends on which scale has the better haircut?I guess it depends on which of the weights are heaver?
.. but his question is crucial. If the democrat speech was twice as long, we could redo the graph in terms of "percentage of speech aired" and CNN would have 100% for each, and Fox news would be 50% dem and 100% rep, making Fox looked biased. Basically, that bar graph is not too informative and looks suspiciously made up.
Huh? It is already "percentage of speech aired".And a 24-hour news organization should air news. Certainly the acceptance speech of a candidate that shook the political landscape should qualify a bit more than interrupting that speech so Olberman can call that person a racist, no?

Now it appears that the strategy that the democrats have passed onto their willing accomplices in the main stream media is to equate Brown with Palin.Like lapdogs those liberal news organization.

CABLE NEWS RACETUES. JAN. 19, 2010ELECTION NIGHT FOXNEWS HANNITY 6,809,000FOXNEWS GRETA 6,399,000FOXNEWS O’REILLY 5,228,000FOXNEWS BECK 3,446,000FOXNEWS BAIER 3,338,000FOXNEWS SHEP 3,241,000CNN KING 1,681,000CNN COOPER 1,508,000CNN BROWN 1,308,000MSNBC OLBERMANN 1,274,000MSNBC MADDOW 1,236,000CNN BLITZER 1,135,000CNNHN BEHAR 845,000MSNBC HARDBALL 798,000

Im surprised Obama ever got into power with Beck and O'Reily able to pull in numbers like that
Just because I like to watch a cat playing the keyboards online doesn't mean that I'm going to listen to it for political advice.
Im surprised Obama ever got into power with Beck and O'Reily able to pull in numbers like that
Part of those numbers is competition. We have at least five liberal news sources, but only one reliably conservative news source, so, among conservatives who like to get their information from TV, 100% will watch the show on that network, whereas the liberal audience is split among the 5 networks (not to mention sitting at home drooling on themselves).PS - I kid, I agree with liberals on many things. Too bad Obama and the Democrats aren't fighting for a single one of them.
Just because I like to watch a cat playing the keyboards online doesn't mean that I'm going to listen to it for political advice.
Part of those numbers is competition. We have at least five liberal news sources, but only one reliably conservative news source, so, among conservatives who like to get their information from TV, 100% will watch the show on that network, whereas the liberal audience is split among the 5 networks (not to mention sitting at home drooling on themselves).PS - I kid, I agree with liberals on many things. Too bad Obama and the Democrats aren't fighting for a single one of them.
Also consider that those numbers are from the night of the Mass election and the right wingers are going to be out in higher numbers that night since the election result is good news for them and they don't want to miss the party.Another thing to consider is that in general right wingers are far stronger in their ideology. They have certain core things that they love ( guns and God is a lot of cases ) and things that they hate ( Abortion and people who want to take their guns away )*. There isn't the same core ideology from those who aren't right wingers in the US although some of the tree huggers have taken up Environmentalism as a religion. I think the main reason that people think of the other sources as "Liberal" is more that they aren't Conservative and don't pander to the right wingers as opposed to being on the far left. The exception to that is MSNBC which is retardedly partisan and not very smart about it.Both Beck and Olberman are equally retarded but Beck is far far more entertaining and people from all political sides will watch him for the entertainment while that isn't true for Olberman who is just an idiot.* I know my description of right wing ideology is shallow and one dimensional and totally misses fiscal conservatives.
Part of those numbers is competition. We have at least five liberal news sources, but only one reliably conservative news source, so, among conservatives who like to get their information from TV, 100% will watch the show on that network, whereas the liberal audience is split among the 5 networks (not to mention sitting at home drooling on themselves).
HB, most nights if you total their numbers they dont come close to Fox
“A generation ago you would have expected Americans to place their trust in the most neutral and unbiased conveyors of news,” said PPP President Dean Debnam in his analysis of the poll. “But the media landscape has really changed, and now they’re turning more toward the outlets that tell them what they want to hear.” Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/...l#ixzz0dp0hu28e

Bob, i think there is some truth to this...assuming this is true many people want to hear what Fox is saying, so we have that going for us. Plus with the recent elections in NJ, VA and Mass the voters seem to be saying the same as the ratings...so we have that going for us as well.Better days are coming folks, keep your head up and cash on hand!!! Over the next 18 months or so we need to find the next Reagan and things will really improve!!

This weeks numbers are getting ugly:CABLE NEWS RACETUES., JAN., 26, 2010FOXNEWS O'REILLY 3,581,000FOXNEWS BECK 3,196,000FOXNEWS HANNITY 3,133,000FOXNEWS BAIER 2,624,000FOXNEWS GRETA 2,415,000FOXNEWS SHEP 2,187,000CNNHN BEHAR 949,000CNNHN GRACE 914,000MSNBC OLBERMANN 818,000CNN KING 796,000MSNBC MADDOW 726,000

This weeks numbers are getting ugly:CABLE NEWS RACETUES., JAN., 26, 2010FOXNEWS O'REILLY 3,581,000FOXNEWS BECK 3,196,000FOXNEWS HANNITY 3,133,000FOXNEWS BAIER 2,624,000FOXNEWS GRETA 2,415,000FOXNEWS SHEP 2,187,000CNNHN BEHAR 949,000CNNHN GRACE 914,000MSNBC OLBERMANN 818,000CNN KING 796,000MSNBC MADDOW 726,000
Guess Palin being hired gave them another chunk of market share...

Fox News had its best January in the history of the network, and was the only cable news network to grow year-to-year.FNC also had the top 13 programs on cable news in total viewers for the fifth month in a row, and the top 13 programs in the A25-54 demographic for the first time in more than five years.• FNC grew in double digits in both total viewers and the A25-54 demographic from January 2009. In prime time, it was up 22% in total viewers and 51% in the demo. CNN was down 34% and 37% and MSNBC down 26% and 38%. In total day, FNC was up 16% and 28%. CNN was down 34% and 41% and MSNBC down 28% and 39%. Last January all networks performed while with the Inauguration coverage. This month, the big political event was Scott Brown’s victory in Massachusetts, which FNC dominated in the ratings.• Special Report with Bret Baier/Brit Hume was #1 for the 100th consecutive month.• Fox Report #1 for 100th consecutive month.• Sean Hannity had his best month ever (since it launched as Hannity).

Fox News had its best January in the history of the network, and was the only cable news network to grow year-to-year.FNC also had the top 13 programs on cable news in total viewers for the fifth month in a row, and the top 13 programs in the A25-54 demographic for the first time in more than five years.• FNC grew in double digits in both total viewers and the A25-54 demographic from January 2009. In prime time, it was up 22% in total viewers and 51% in the demo. CNN was down 34% and 37% and MSNBC down 26% and 38%. In total day, FNC was up 16% and 28%. CNN was down 34% and 41% and MSNBC down 28% and 39%. Last January all networks performed while with the Inauguration coverage. This month, the big political event was Scott Brown’s victory in Massachusetts, which FNC dominated in the ratings.• Special Report with Bret Baier/Brit Hume was #1 for the 100th consecutive month.• Fox Report #1 for 100th consecutive month.• Sean Hannity had his best month ever (since it launched as Hannity).
Silly brvheart. When it comes to truth..the notion that the more people believe something means it is more likely true is only relevant to global warming, evolution and life on other planets.When the American people believe something overwhelmingly, it is because they are stupid ignorant sheep who just so happen to have created the freest, bestest country in the world with the best economy, military and cheeseburgers ever!So Fox News pounding the snot out of all the other 'news' organizations combined doesn't mean anything, because we can apply a pejorative to the phrase 'good business' and imply that Rupart Murdoch and company are just packaging this programming to the masses to make money.Of course we must ignore the praise we formerly heaped on the likes of PMSNBC and Clinton News Network when they were the #1 news stations....2 decades ago.

Did I mention that Sarah Palin got hired..and Fox News has it's best month ever?Boy the Fox News staff sure knew what it was doing by hiring Sarah Palin to give her views on issues!

Did I mention that Sarah Palin got hired..and Fox News has it's best month ever?Boy the Fox News staff sure knew what it was doing by hiring Sarah Palin to give her views on issues!
Hiring Sarah Palin was a great hire for Fox and was a no brainer as long as her contract demands weren't out of this World.She's a media star and whether people agree or disagree with her positions people still are going to watch her.
Hiring Sarah Palin was a great hire for Fox and was a no brainer as long as her contract demands weren't out of this World.She's a media star and whether people agree or disagree with her positions people still are going to watch her.
Plus she's attractive...

I guess higher ratings still has not convinced Fox News to try and be a little less shameless with their agenda......why did they cut away from Obama's "chat" with the GOP last Thursday when every other news outlet covered the entire thing? I'm sure it had nothing to do with Obama making them all look retarded not smart.