you know you're playing a fish when he says...

Guest XXEddie
I misread this and thought he had 3 limpers on the flop. My bad, after rereading it I see the mistake I made. He did not have sufficient odds to call the post flop bets, IMHO. Please excuse my error. I'm man enough to admit I mad a mistake, sorry for the confusion. Thank you for correcting me in this matter.
you still thought getting 2-1 on his money to chase a flush was a good callwhich it isnt
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I misread this and thought he had 3 limpers on the flop. My bad, after rereading it I see the mistake I made. He did not have sufficient odds to call the post flop bets, IMHO. Please excuse my error. I'm man enough to admit I mad a mistake, sorry for the confusion. Thank you for correcting me in this matter.
you still thought getting 2-1 on his money to chase a flush was a good callwhich it isnt
OK, I'll bite, what are good odds to chase a flush draw? 4 to 1, because those are your odds of making the flush on the turn? So on the river I need 8 to 1 odds? Help me, here. Is this your line of thinking?Please keep in mind I'm not being a smart ass, I truly want to know what you'd consider to be good odds to chase this flush draw on the turn and the river.
Guest XXEddie
OK, I'll bite, what are good odds to chase a flush draw? 4 to 1, because those are your odds of making the flush on the turn? So on the river I need 8 to 1 odds? Help me, here. Is this your line of thinking?Please keep in mind I'm not being a smart ass, I truly want to know what you'd consider to be good odds to chase this flush draw on the turn and the river.
you have a 4-1 chance of making a flush on the next card, turn or river, doesnt mattermeaning unless you figure to get some implied odds you need to be getting 4-1 pot odds to make the call correct
you have a 4-1 chance of making a flush on the next card, turn or river, doesnt mattermeaning unless you figure to get some implied odds you need to be getting 4-1 pot odds to make the call correct
I understand your line of thinking, but for me its not that simple. Let's say the pot is 100, and on the flop villian bets 100. Now the pot's 200 and itll cost me 100 to call, thats 2 to 1 odds. Not very good, according to your textbook answer, but at this point I consider my stack size. What percentage of my stack is it going to cost me to call this bet? If he's betting the pot now and I make my flush, chances are I can at the least get a value bet from him in the end, i.e. implied odds on this hand may be low. So if calling the bet costs me less than 10% of my stack, I make this call every time. The higher the percentage of my stack it costs me to call his bet, the higher the pot odds I'll need to make that call.For me, there's no exact set of rules I play by when factoring pot odds. Pot odds are pretty precise, I have no problem calculating them. Determining whether or not they're good depends on several things, including # of outs, stack size vs bet size, implied odds, opponent's image, etc. To simply say I need 4 to 1 odds to chase a flush draw is simplistic at best and easily exploitable, IMO.
I understand your line of thinking, but for me its not that simple. Let's say the pot is 100, and on the flop villian bets 100. Now the pot's 200 and itll cost me 100 to call, thats 2 to 1 odds. Not very good, according to your textbook answer, but at this point I consider my stack size. What percentage of my stack is it going to cost me to call this bet? If he's betting the pot now and I make my flush, chances are I can at the least get a value bet from him in the end, i.e. implied odds on this hand may be low. So if calling the bet costs me less than 10% of my stack, I make this call every time. The higher the percentage of my stack it costs me to call his bet, the higher the pot odds I'll need to make that call.For me, there's no exact set of rules I play by when factoring pot odds. Pot odds are pretty precise, I have no problem calculating them. Determining whether or not they're good depends on several things, including # of outs, stack size vs bet size, implied odds, opponent's image, etc. To simply say I need 4 to 1 odds to chase a flush draw is simplistic at best and easily exploitable, IMO.

I try a little fish talk every now and then in the hope someone will be fooled. Of course sometimes it's funny to see them agree with me.$1/$2 Limit table Kill pot - I have AdKs and I raise preflop and get some callers. It flops a Kxx with the xx being diamonds and the turn is a diamond and the river is another, giving me the nut flush.I bet all the way and get raised and re-raised on the river. Of course the pot is mine - $75 on a low limit table like this is a monster pot when the fish says - "I had the king"No shit Sherlock, second best kicker all the way and make the second best flush on the river and raise and reraise to give me a monster pot and you have to tell me what you had? What makes you think I will respect you cause you had second best all the way?So this is the conversation...Me: I was lucky.Fish: Nice hand.Me: thank you. I'd rather be lucky than good.Fish: I agree.wow. Just wow.

Guest XXEddie
Youre entilted to your opinion as bad as it may be. Chasing a draw should, usually, have no effect on your stack size, its all math, and the way you do it, youre losing a lot of money on draws unless youre getting lucky.........but did you have to post it 3 times?

The main reason why he played the hand so horribly was because when he finally made the hand he didnt get any value you from it. Why would he call down and then when he hit his gin card decide that his flush was no good. He played the hand like an idiot. Also stack size is relevant because it increases you implied odds greatly.

The main reason why he played the hand so horribly was because when he finally made the hand he didnt get any value you from it. Why would he call down and then when he hit his gin card decide that his flush was no good. He played the hand like an idiot. Also stack size is relevant because it increases you implied odds greatly.
Yes, that is only the reason I posted that hand.
You Know that you are playing a Fish when persons that post in this "UBER GAY" thread keep it alive. You are all fish!!!!Don't believe that I have seen any post in this thread by the greats... including DN.
You're such an angry young man. If this thread is so "gay", then why have you posted in it more than once?I'm thinking this is some form of self-loathing. Can't admit to yourself that it is in fact you who is gay. I'm sure there are plenty of support groups out there for you. Be angry no more, my man. You'll get that help (and maybe that boyfriend) you need.
Bad_Beat_Butters wrote:You Know that you are playing a Fish when persons that post in this "UBER GAY" thread keep it alive.You are all fish!!!!Don't believe that I have seen any post in this thread by the greats... including DN.You're such an angry young man. If this thread is so "gay", then why have you posted in it more than once?I'm thinking this is some form of self-loathing. Can't admit to yourself that it is in fact you who is gay. I'm sure there are plenty of support groups out there for you. Be angry no more, my man. You'll get that help (and maybe that boyfriend) you need.
P.S. Anyone who who not only continues this thread but rebukes any posts about how GAY this thread is, is the GAYEST gay person on the planet.. Perhaps even "Saw Rent twice gay"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one day i was playing a $50 MTT on pokerroom.combut i was playing reckless...on purpose. just playing bad and stupid. but i was getting lucky and caught a few hands, really funny.so i'm basically acting like a moron at my table when this happens.duder opens from MP, I have 58o in the sb. I move in and he calls with AA. He flops a set but I notice I picked up a backdoor runner-runner str8 draw. Before the cards come, I call out that I feel the str8 coming, which indeed it does.Probably one of my proudest moments ever. God I love playing the role as a fish sometimes. I can do a really good job at it to if i try.- Jordan

Guest XXEddie
with 2 cards to come odds against making flush 1.86 to 1.
so, thats not important in limitthats only important in NL if some one goes allinif theres 150 in the pot and someone bets in a 50/100 game, you should fold a drawSure, youre about 2-1 to hit the flush, but thats by the end of the hand, not the next card

Let my ego get in the way of my better judgment today. I was in a bad mood, some dude started spouting off about someone's "lucky river" after the guy check/called and hit a flush on the river.So I get into it with this guy, he says "**** you, Im going to play Omaha with some real poker players."Naturally, i follow him to the table (it was hi/lo).3 hands into it he holds:A:diamond: 2:clubs: J:diamond: 10:heartFinal Board:2:heart: J:heart: 10:club: 3:heart: A:heart:"WTF I HAD THE NUTS"

Guest XXEddie

NL 50 game as Pacificfish keeps buying in for only 10 bucksI raise PF on the button 87s, BB(fish) moves inIm getting just under 3-1 so I call he had KQ, I flop two pair and winFish-"ypu lucky mother fucker, you suck"Me-"If I suck how come youve busted out like 7 times"Fish-"BUST? are you an idiot, this isnt blackjack"Me-"fine, Ill speak idiot for you.....Youve lost all your money like 7 times"Fish-"more like 4"

NL 50 game as Pacificfish keeps buying in for only 10 bucksI raise PF on the button 87s, BB(fish) moves inIm getting just under 3-1 so I call he had KQ, I flop two pair and winFish-"ypu lucky mother fucker, you suck"Me-"If I suck how come youve busted out like 7 times"Fish-"BUST? are you an idiot, this isnt blackjack"Me-"fine, Ill speak idiot for you.....Youve lost all your money like 7 times"Fish-"more like 4"
one word....amazing

playing a typical homegame tourny for the first time. you know the ones...blinds get real high real fast. we are at 200/400, 3 limpers and i raise to 1000, blinds fold and all limpers call. there is now 4300 in the pot.dont remember the flop, but its checked to me and i underbet for 1200 into a 4300 pot. all fold. one of the regulars at this game says "you are crazy, why do alwaqys overbet like that"

Guest XXEddie
playing a typical homegame tourny for the first time. you know the ones...blinds get real high real fast. we are at 200/400, 3 limpers and i raise to 1000, blinds fold and all limpers call. there is now 4300 in the pot.dont remember the flop, but its checked to me and i underbet for 1200 into a 4300 pot. all fold. one of the regulars at this game says "you are crazy, why do alwaqys overbet like that"
thats why I hate home games, too many fish want crap shootsI play in a game with my bros occassionally, 1500 chips, blinds 5/10one says "We need to raise the blinds, these are too small, they should be like 100"and yes, he said only ONE blind, I talked him down to 25/50 which he still said were way too low