The Pet Info Thread

Yeah. Sometimes you're gonna hope that the "right" answer is to ring the little darling's neck.I have heard that small dogs can be more difficult to house train than large dogs. Also this is still a puppy, so you' may still have to wait for her to mature a bit. How much supervision does she have? Is she alone for most of the day?
Well, her owner works full time, so both dogs are kenneled from about 8-5. They go outside for 15-20 minutes in the morning, and again at night. They're generally outside for longer after work than in the morning. It's a quiet place so there aren't any other loud barking dogs as neighbors or anything like that. 99% of the time, they are sleeping when I get them out of their kennels.After they go out when we get home, it's just a matter of putting her little ass outside every 10-15 minutes until she decides to poop and pee. After that, it's mostly pee accidents from being excited. She doesn't give any indications that she needs to 'go', she just goes. She usually goes behind the couch, or behind the dining room table. The couch area is easily closed off, but the dining room is much larger, and opens into the kitchen. That barrier would have to be about 12 feet long. Suggestions?I agree that she's really immature still, so I'll wait. I haven't had small dogs before, so I am sort of looking for a miracle cure. I'm exceedingly tired of cleaning up after her.
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget your Mr Fritz pw?

When I talked with the Vet about the Fentanyl patch, she didn't have much of a response. Something along the lines of "yeah, we used to put them on their backs, but that meant an unsightly bald patch."
This is a good example of why people that are socially incompetant shouldn't be vets and these days "I want to work with animals because I don't like people" is a one way ticket to failing a vet school interview.
I agree that she's really immature still, so I'll wait. I haven't had small dogs before, so I am sort of looking for a miracle cure.
Yeah, sorry, doesn't exist. Keep limiting opportunities for bad behavior and rewarding good behavior. But know that some dogs will always pee when really excited...that can be a really tough one to break.

For the last two days my cat has been breathing hard and she threw up tonight which kinda has me worried. It started when she was trying to hack up a furball and has been going on since and I was wondering if there was any kind of home remedy? Does she just need to hack up whatever it is and she'll be fine? Is this serious enough for me to need to take her to the vet or is this fairly normal? I'll probably call them tomorrow anyway but just wanted some advice.

For the last two days my cat has been breathing hard and she threw up tonight which kinda has me worried. It started when she was trying to hack up a furball and has been going on since and I was wondering if there was any kind of home remedy? Does she just need to hack up whatever it is and she'll be fine? Is this serious enough for me to need to take her to the vet or is this fairly normal? I'll probably call them tomorrow anyway but just wanted some advice.
Call in the morning...they'll tell you to bring her in, which you should. She may very well be fine, but two days of hard breathing definitely means she should see a doctor, the vomit is really just a kicker. Is it to the point that's she's open-mouth breathing?
Call in the morning...they'll tell you to bring her in, which you should. She may very well be fine, but two days of hard breathing definitely means she should see a doctor, the vomit is really just a kicker. Is it to the point that's she's open-mouth breathing?
No, I just notice her chest moving faster so I guess I should have said she is breathing more shallow but besides that shes been acting normal. I was searching Google and they mentioned Lung Worms? Does this sound like it could be that?
No, I just notice her chest moving faster so I guess I should have said she is breathing more shallow but besides that shes been acting normal. I was searching Google and they mentioned Lung Worms? Does this sound like it could be that?
There are a ton of differentials* for shallow breathing...some are serious, some are easily rectified**. Beware Internet diagnoses, even from me***. *Yes, I like to use that word now...I feel like I've earned it.**I'm not saying that to scare you, but you really should just bring her in tomorrow morning. Even if it turns out to not be a big deal, better safe than sorry.***Especially from me.
Update.
I know you're not really asking for my update......but I'll give one anyway.Bella the PitAdorabull continues to do well. Following the Vet's Directions to the letter. Everyday she is placing more weight on the repaired leg. On Firday she can start to go for short walks which should help to burn off some of her natural energy. She and our Pitmix are looking forward to being able to romp together again.
I know you're not really asking for my update......but I'll give one anyway.
I always like updates from anyone. Glad she's coming along nicely...just curious, how are you currently keeping the two of them from chasing each other around the house? I feel like someone will ask me that in regards to post-op stuff sooner or later.
I always like updates from anyone. Glad she's coming along nicely...just curious, how are you currently keeping the two of them from chasing each other around the house? I feel like someone will ask me that in regards to post-op stuff sooner or later.
It takes a lot of attention and awareness. Bella is crate trained, so that helps. However, when it appears that they are about to romp, I don't want it to seem like punishment, so instead of putting her in her crate, I intervene and give her some positive attention. For me the important thing is to remember that romping is part of her normal and desired behavior - it is an important part of socialization and I want her to do it when she is healthy - so I don't shout for her to stop or punish for that. I'll grab a toy and distract her and play in a more controlled manner which winds up being a reward. The other dog wants to play as well so I'll also "reward" him with some individual play outside. Earlier in the healing process, I kept her on a leash 100% of the time she wasn't in her crate. This allowed me to keep her close and in my control. Now when she is outside of her crate, I allow her to roam free inside the house, but still keep barriers on the stairs to keep her from going up & down. Tonight they each got a small soup bone from the butcher. Can't give one every day, but really not a lot of calories, and a couple of hours of chewing fun.
Conrad The Puli won the herding group again this year at Westminster. Hooray! DN06708503.jpgHowever, said puli was robbed as Best in Show once again snubbed the herding group (which has only won once).
That dog couldn't herd shit.
That dog couldn't herd shit.
They are really quite excellent herders. They can jump very high from standing position and have been known to leap over the backs of sheep when necessary. Mine herd their toys very efficiently.
That dog reminds me of Dougal from the Magic Roundabout
I may need to watch this show.
They are really quite excellent herders. They can jump very high from standing position and have been known to leap over the backs of sheep when necessary. Mine herd their toys very efficiently. I may need to watch this show.
I'm sure the breed herds fine... but not that particular one.
I don't understand why you think that particular one is deficient in the herding realm. It's a fine specimen.
I can't come up with anything better than,'because she seems like a prissy bitch'.Sorry, I'll sit the next one out.

There are two places that the dog likes to use the bathroom inside. One is behind the couch, which is kind of in a corner. There is about a one foot gap on each side of the couch to the wall. I bought two expandable windshield sun covers, the kind that flip open, and put those on each side of the couch. Cost: $6 at the thrift shop, and she can't get behind there.The other place she goes is behind the dining room table, also in the corner. But this room is open to the rest of the condo and it's opening is roughly 14 feet. I have been unable to figure out a cheap barrier that will cover that distance. I don't think putting chairs down is an option either. Any suggestions? She's tiny, so it only needs to be 18-24" high. I am paying for their vet visits this weekend, so I am looking for a cheap fix before I have to spend more.

There are two places that the dog likes to use the bathroom inside. One is behind the couch, which is kind of in a corner. There is about a one foot gap on each side of the couch to the wall. I bought two expandable windshield sun covers, the kind that flip open, and put those on each side of the couch. Cost: $6 at the thrift shop, and she can't get behind there.The other place she goes is behind the dining room table, also in the corner. But this room is open to the rest of the condo and it's opening is roughly 14 feet. I have been unable to figure out a cheap barrier that will cover that distance. I don't think putting chairs down is an option either. Any suggestions? She's tiny, so it only needs to be 18-24" high. I am paying for their vet visits this weekend, so I am looking for a cheap fix before I have to spend more.
Hmm. That is tough. Maybe just keep her on a leash while she is not in her crate. That way she is always under your control. When she tries stray to her spot you can pull her back and if she really is ready to poop, you can take her immediately outside.

Asking questions about cat weirdness is probably pointless, but...any idea why my cat loves to lick toilet paper (on the roll, not used) and windows? She's obsessed with the damn toilet paper -- we keep a cover on it.

Why do dogs lick up vomit and shove their noses into poop? Is there some sort of reasonable explanation for this?