The Pet Info Thread

Sorry man, I'm sure she was overcompensating...that's what happens. Maybe if you're lucky it's not blown, just strained.For the record, it was nothing you did...it sounds like you were the perfect client in terms of following orders to keep her quiet. Eventually you had to let her loose a bit at a time, and honestly if she did blow the other knee it was inevitable.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget your Mr Fritz pw?

Sorry man, I'm sure she was overcompensating...that's what happens. Maybe if you're lucky it's not blown, just strained.For the record, it was nothing you did...it sounds like you were the perfect client in terms of following orders to keep her quiet. Eventually you had to let her loose a bit at a time, and honestly if she did blow the other knee it was inevitable.
Thanks.I'm just disappointed. My head knows she obviously has a genetic predisposition. That was even confirmed during the actual surgery - Vet said she already showed clear signs of arthritis. And having one already weak leg means the healthy leg was probably under additional stress.But my heart feels like I somehow let her down. She was out of my direct control for less than a minute.
But my heart feels like I somehow let her down. She was out of my direct control for less than a minute.
Meh, let your head take over on this one. It was going to happen...it just was. Today, next week, month, whatever. At least she'll get both surgeries done while she's young and will recover quickly, and can spend the rest of her life without you waiting for the other...something to drop. Ball? What's the other thing that drops? Shoe. I think it's "shoe".

Surgery #2 scheduled for April. Luckily she is young and was recovering very well from the first surgery. She is in a little pain, but otherwise just a little cranky at being hobbled again.Thanks again for the perspective. Head is winning over heart - but never completely. Story of my life.

• 2 weeks later...

New problem. The small dog has been better about going outside with all of our changes like barriers, coin jar, being more watchful, more rewards/no discipline etc.Now, it seems that she has started eating dookie. I can assure you she didn't learn this from me.I've caught her a couple of times and stopped it. She's attempted to eat dried stuff on walks, etc. Mostly though, she likes the soft stuff. I've caught her eating her own while it's still warm, I've seen her eat the cocker's dookie. Doesn't matter. This behavior has happened at all hours of the day, whenever she has access, regardless if she's stressed, tired, full, anything. For instance, I was alone with the dogs, and took a shower after a walk. Got out, the dog was eating from a pile of her own crap that she just took in the middle of the living room. Our walk was almost an hour so it's almost like she tried to hold it when we were walking. So odd. She weighs like three pounds so I'm surprised she wouldn't go on the walk, especially when the cocker was peeing everywhere and dookied twice.Any advice on possible remedies or why she's doing this?Appreciated.

New problem. The small dog has been better about going outside with all of our changes like barriers, coin jar, being more watchful, more rewards/no discipline etc.Now, it seems that she has started eating dookie. I can assure you she didn't learn this from me.Any advice on possible remedies or why she's doing this?Appreciated.
Calling poop "dookie" is so weird to me... in a bad way.Anyway, I googled "dog eating poop" and found a shitload of information. I could copy and paste it all here, but why waste space? You can do the same search and find the same info and more. Good luck! And quit calling it "dookie".
Calling poop "dookie" is so weird to me... in a bad way.Anyway, I googled "dog eating poop" and found a shitload of information. I could copy and paste it all here, but why waste space? You can do the same search and find the same info and more. Good luck! And quit calling it "dookie".
I'm not a moron. I have a vet, so does the girlfriend/dog owner. I can use the internet, and I understand the function of google. Thanks. You see, speedz could easily type, 'ask your vet' or 'google it' to people's questions, but that's not really the spirit of the thread or why he created it. I guess I could be wrong, I'm not sure.I appreciate the insight from speedz, but I also appreciate the insight of other dog and pet owners here. Those who (edit: whom?) I have also built up a quasi e-relationship (no homo) with a few, that's why I posted the question here. Also, there is a lot of noise on the internet, not so much here.You post in the sick thread, I am sure you appreciate the people who post there. Same thing with posting these questions here, and the discussions that ensue.I don't think anyone told you to go find a website that deals with how to interview well when you posted your bad luck in the sick thread (keep at it, you'll get there eventually, good luck!). Isn't that along the same lines as this?My parents always said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.I use poop and dookie because it's easier and more polite than saying piss and shit all of the time. Would you prefer shit, or do you have another word you'd prefer people to use? I don't really care either way. I feel like if I call it pooh, you'd call me a faggot. Not that you don't already.
I'm not a moron. I have a vet, so does the girlfriend/dog owner. I can use the internet, and I understand the function of google. Thanks. You see, speedz could easily type, 'ask your vet' or 'google it' to people's questions, but that's not really the spirit of the thread or why he created it. I guess I could be wrong, I'm not sure.I appreciate the insight from speedz, but I also appreciate the insight of other dog and pet owners here. Those who (edit: whom?) I have also built up a quasi e-relationship (no homo) with a few, that's why I posted the question here. Also, there is a lot of noise on the internet, not so much here.You post in the sick thread, I am sure you appreciate the people who post there. Same thing with posting these questions here, and the discussions that ensue.I don't think anyone told you to go find a website that deals with how to interview well when you posted your bad luck in the sick thread (keep at it, you'll get there eventually, good luck!). Isn't that along the same lines as this?My parents always said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.I use poop and dookie because it's easier and more polite than saying piss and shit all of the time. Would you prefer shit, or do you have another word you'd prefer people to use? I don't really care either way. I feel like if I call it pooh, you'd call me a faggot. Not that you don't already.
Clearly you misunderstood the intention/spirit of my post. I never said you should just google the problem instead of asking here. I was just explaining why I wasn't any use to you (i.e. because all I can offer is what you could easily find yourself as opposed to Speedz' vet school knowledge). The only reason I posted at all on this matter as opposed to others you've asked about is because it caught my interest. I genuinely wondered whether it was normal, googled it, considered posting what I found, decided it was redundant, and made that post. So try not to be all upset and angry over it. I really wasn't trying to be offensive or anything.Also, I think I made it clear that my preference is for the word "poop", and apparantly you're happy to use it too, so what's the problem?

I really wish you had just asked me months ago, "Should my girlfriend and I get a small dog?"Can I assume that you feed her the correct amount? And that it's a solid brand of puppy-specific food?When she reaches down to eat her poo, you need to yank her away but not yell at her or in any way show her attention. Yank her away and completely ignore her. Give her a pat and a treat when she goes and then walks right away with you.Have you guys thought about using a clicker?

Yeah. Speedz nails it as usual. My puppy started doing the same thing a while ago. "Luckily" just after she started the behavior I had to have her on the leash all the time because of the injuries. So I was able to stop her when she'd start to go for a bite.

I really wish you had just asked me months ago, "Should my girlfriend and I get a small dog?"Can I assume that you feed her the correct amount? And that it's a solid brand of puppy-specific food?When she reaches down to eat her poo, you need to yank her away but not yell at her or in any way show her attention. Yank her away and completely ignore her. Give her a pat and a treat when she goes and then walks right away with you.Have you guys thought about using a clicker?
The small dog was an inpulse buy at a high school charity auction fundraiser. She loves it, but in my opinion has too much other stuff going on to handle another dog, especially in an apartment. It is what it is, I'm just trying to help solve these issues. That last sentence sounds really defensive, sorry about that.She bought the dog before I was around, I would not have allowed the purchase. She still talks about getting a cat next. I said that would be an awesome way to break up with me. I think she has selective hearing when dealing with this stuff and thinking she can handle the responsibility of another animal.We've just been using a gatorade bottle filled with coins. By clicker, you mean this?She has her own puppy food. I thought she was a little overweight, but getting her shots a couple weeks ago, the vet said she's normal weight. I am at work and don't know the brand info. She spends $40 for a 20lb bag maybe? I understand that cost doesn't equal quality, but it's whatever her vet recommended.LG:
By clicker, you mean this?
Yup. It can be a good way to train a dog because it's portable and eventually can completely replace treats so you don't end up with a super food-motivated (and fat) dog when it needs constant reinforcement.
She has her own puppy food. I thought she was a little overweight, but getting her shots a couple weeks ago, the vet said she's normal weight. I am at work and don't know the brand info. She spends $40 for a 20lb bag maybe? I understand that cost doesn't equal quality, but it's whatever her vet recommended.
Sounds like the food is fine if it's what the vet recommended and she's at a good weight. There's a small chance the poo eating thing could be happening because she should be eating more often (not a higher quantity)...some puppies are best at three times a day, so if you're doing twice a day you could switch if that's possible. But the most likely cause (by a large margin) is behavioral and could hopefully be fixed with training, whether you use the clicker/treat after good behavior or just do the "pull away and ignore her when she does it" thing.

Hey Speedz, wonder what you think of this. A new place opened in my neighborhood called the "Animal Wellness Center". http://www.animalwellnesscenters.com/ourvision.htmlPart of it I like, for instance: Our flagship location in Santa Monica, California is the world’s first non-anthropomorphic companion animal center. Designed literally from the ground up with the companion animal perspective in mind, the entire space below four feet is dedicated to the animal view – completely distinct from the human perspective from four feet and above.But this makes it sound rather kooky: Dr. Annie Harvilicz and her team combine cutting-edge modern technology with traditional Chinese veterinary medicine to create a new comprehensive approach to animal medicine.Traditional Chinese veterinary medicine? Is there anything to that? The other interesting thing about this place is that they do all of their work via house calls, they have no medical facilities on site.

Hey Speedz, wonder what you think of this. A new place opened in my neighborhood called the "Animal Wellness Center". http://www.animalwellnesscenters.com/ourvision.html
Interesting...though, honestly, most of that is just a marketing concept. Aside from the design of the building, which apparently doesn't matter all that much since they work mostly by house calls, there's nothing there that any well-rounded veterinary hospital isn't already offering in addition to the traditional services.
Part of it I like, for instance: Our flagship location in Santa Monica, California is the world’s first non-anthropomorphic companion animal center. Designed literally from the ground up with the companion animal perspective in mind, the entire space below four feet is dedicated to the animal view – completely distinct from the human perspective from four feet and above.
Yeah, that's pretty cool. Have you ever heard of Dr. Temple Grandin? She's an autistic woman who has done some incredible things in the field of animal welfare because she has an uncanny ability to approach things from the perspective of the animals themselves. For instance, she made huge advances in how cattle are brought to slaughter by designing a system that vastly reduces the stress of the animals as they move through the process...I'm sure that same principle would apply to animals in a hospital setting. Google her, there have been some cool documentaries on the subject, and I think I heard there was an HBO movie or something about her life.
But this makes it sound rather kooky: Dr. Annie Harvilicz and her team combine cutting-edge modern technology with traditional Chinese veterinary medicine to create a new comprehensive approach to animal medicine.Traditional Chinese veterinary medicine? Is there anything to that?
Acupuncture and chiropractic are fairly widely accepted in veterinary medicine these days, even as parts of more traditional animal hospitals. I put in about 25 hours shadowing an "alternative medicine" vet who did housecalls, making something like $250/hr for those services. Some of it seemed to work really well, while there was certainly a noticable amount of quackery involved. I think he was more off the reservation than most...he diagnosed problems by doing what's called "muscle testing"...basically he would have the owner touch the animals body in different places with one hand while holding the other arm out at 90 degrees, and when it became harder for him to push down on the arm that meant the owner was touching an area of negative energy. He chose and dosed herbal meds the same way. But I digress...in general, asian/eastern/whatever medicine is becoming a recognized option for many illnesses, as are what Dr. Annie would call "cutting-edge modern technologies" like therapeutic laser treatments, etc.
The other interesting thing about this place is that they do all of their work via house calls, they have no medical facilities on site.
That's a good way to make some money while saving up for a down payment on a full medical facility. Or just cutting on overhead if they don't want to be doing surgeries, which are big money-makers. Or maybe they just like doing house calls and think it's less stressful on the animals, which I'm sure it is for a lot of them.

My female cat, who you may remember (you don't) is quite vocal, has taken to chasing her tail. Basically, she makes a purring or annoyed sound at all times due to a throat problem when she was a kitten and you can hear her across the room.Chasing her tail is absolutely hirarious.

Sorry for the late reply but my cat is fine now. We had switched her food to one of those cheap brands and I think she didn't agree with it. I've started buying hairball control food and haven't had a problem since. I'll get some pictures up in a bit as who doesn't like pictures of cats?

• 2 weeks later...

Bella the Pitbull had her second ACL surgery today. Vet says it was a success. She'll spend the night in their care and return home for recovery. I feel pretty good about this. Much less apprehension than the first time since I now know what to expect. While it is a four month recovery period, I know that the first four weeks are the key period.I just can't wait for her to be a dog again and be able to romp and burn her tons of natural energy.

Bella the Pitbull had her second ACL surgery today. Vet says it was a success. She'll spend the night in their care and return home for recovery. I feel pretty good about this. Much less apprehension than the first time since I now know what to expect. While it is a four month recovery period, I know that the first four weeks are the key period.I just can't wait for her to be a dog again and be able to romp and burn her tons of natural energy.
Would this work if your budget was unlimited?dog-treadmill-small.jpg
They should start with this:Underwater_Treadmill.jpg
That is my dream item right now.Joint reconstruction surgery is one of the most common pet surgeries in this Country and swim therapy is widely considered to be the best therapy. I've spoken seriously with my wife about developing a business plan for a Dog Spa and Swim Therapy Center. A couple of those units and a few small pools might be very popular.
A seperate issue.I have a guinea pig from my kids. I hate this guinea pig. So as soon as G-Force comes out I plan on taking this stupid guinea pig to see the movie then taunt him with his inablity to slide down ropes and parachute into harms way. How close do I need to be to the screen since the 3D glasses won't fit the stupid guinea pigs head?Or should I just wait for blu-ray?
G Force was a great movie. Not quite as good as Bolt, but still good.Srsly.