The Pet Info Thread

They eat vomit because it tastes interesting and they shove their noses into poop because it smells interesting? I don't know. They probably also try their vomit because it's confusing that food just left their mouths, and smelling poo is a way to learn about each other. I haven't done much behavior.I can, however, tell you why people are supposed to breath into paper bags during panic attacks.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget your Mr Fritz pw?

I have heard that the dog sniffing and eating poo thing is often because the poo still smells like the dog food it started as. Especially the soft high protein stuff. There is actually often too much protein in the food and most dogs are at least moderately over fed so the food is sometimes under digested.

By the way......we are now officially in the third week of recovery for Bella The Pitbull. We started taking her for short walks. She continues to progress. Still difficult to keep her from trying to do stuff like romp and run up the stairs, but she listens well.

She's going to exercise herself into a coma once you're able to really turn her loose.I think I'm going to have to foster another pit mix over the summer...I can't do it during the school year since I'm not around nearly enough, but I miss having one around. The only issue will be trying to find one that's cat-friendly.

Well, blocking access to areas where the little dog goes to the bathroom seem to have helped a lot. There have only been a couple of wet spots, and those were close enough to the door that it's likely she was at least attempting to go outside. I also put some coins into a plastic bottle so I am not inclined to punt the little fucker the next time she dookies.She still won't go when she goes outside, which means she stays outside longer and more often. It's been really really cold here lately though, so I think it's kind of difficult being a puppy and wanting to do your business outside in the cold.She got a couple of shots this weekend, and the vet said that they sometimes see potty training issues here in Colorado with pets that are adopted/purchased in the fall. He said that a lot of times they aren't used to going outside, and since winters here can be pretty cold he's seen issues with potty training. I hadn't thought of that.

Well, blocking access to areas where the little dog goes to the bathroom seem to have helped a lot. There have only been a couple of wet spots, and those were close enough to the door that it's likely she was at least attempting to go outside. I also put some coins into a plastic bottle so I am not inclined to punt the little fucker the next time she dookies.She still won't go when she goes outside, which means she stays outside longer and more often. It's been really really cold here lately though, so I think it's kind of difficult being a puppy and wanting to do your business outside in the cold.She got a couple of shots this weekend, and the vet said that they sometimes see potty training issues here in Colorado with pets that are adopted/purchased in the fall. He said that a lot of times they aren't used to going outside, and since winters here can be pretty cold he's seen issues with potty training. I hadn't thought of that.
Should have gotten a Malamute.

Update:The little dog has had several accidents. A few excitement urinations, not a big deal but more frequent since she's not constantly peeing behind the couch anymore. Not a big deal. However, she has pooped on a rug near the front door a couple of times, and it's not really an area that we can close off. You guys have recommended that the dog stay on a leash when inside so we can keep an eye on her and discipline her if we catch her in the act.That would be nice, but the little dog and the 3yr. old cocker like to run around and fight and play all the time. A leash would prevent most of the running. Here is my question. Should both dogs be leashed when they're inside? I have to assume that the little dog would be pretty jealous of being on a leash while the cocker runs wild. Is it fair to the older dog to keep in leashed just to make the little dog happy? Anyone have experience? Thanks.

Most of the posts on this page point to dogs being retarded. Now, I'm a fan of Cesar Millan and I like dogs in general, but it's pretty clear to me that some form of genetic inhibitor prevents more than a few dogs from assimilating even the most rudimentary training. To be fair, I don't know the dogs you guys are dealing with, but cats continue to win the day, even though my little one actually missed the litter box this week, possibly due to havng moved it to accomodate the babysitting of a large dog who is one of the least gracious guests I've eve had in my house.

Update on the leash aggression dog: The shaking can thing wore off. Got him a choke chain and just let him go near other dogs and pretend like theres no issue when we encounter them,my roommates were too afraid to do this as he gets out of control but they've agreed to do it , try keep the chain loose so he isn't tense. Has worked pretty well, ratio of 8:3. For every 3 dogs he plays with, he tries to swallow 8. Which is an improvement and its nice when he does start wagging. He used to be homeless and I've realised hes actually terrified of the dogs, he definitely acts out of fear. Yesterday a dog seen us and came bolting down the street and without stopping just lunged at my dog. Took 2 good kicks to separate them(other dog took the hits) but he was pretty shook up after that,the dog got a good hold on his neck, and was attacking anything that moved as we walked home. So in short hes kind of progressing.

On Aaron Ramseys performance..."He improves from game to game. I set him a target at the start of the season to play between 15 and 20 games and it looks like he will get that very quickly. He has a chance to play at the moment. He can play on the flanks and at full-back. He is physically very strong, quick and has a good stamina. He is a good dribbler but of course his best position is centre midfield because he is a goalscorer as well."Ñàìî ïðåäïîëîæåíèå. Äà ñå íàäÿâàìå, ÷å ùå èçáåãíåì ïîäîáíè åêñïåðèìåíòè.
What kind of animal is he? It's hard for us to help without at least knowing the species, if not the breed.

I'm a bit curious to see what spam ends up being posted but I locked that account anyway.I'm going to leave the post up though since it's pretty funny.

What kind of animal is he? It's hard for us to help without at least knowing the species, if not the breed.
Like most spammers, it's a weasel.
Why do dogs lick up vomit and shove their noses into poop? Is there some sort of reasonable explanation for this?
Cats eat puke too. Once we watched our oldest cat puke. He walked away. The middle cat then ate the puke and immediately threw it up again. then the kitten came by and ate it. All in a span of a few minutes. Gross, but funny. Third time was the "charm," I guess.
Is it ok to feed the dogs a McDonalds cheeseburger?I bring the dogs to work and forgot to bring food.
If you can go to McD's you can go to a gas station convenience store that has canned dog food. I strongly recommend going that route.
If you can go to McD's you can go to a gas station convenience store that has canned dog food. I strongly recommend going that route.
too lazy...someone back in the shop was going. They both ate it. Resting comfortbly numb right now.
They both ate it.
Well that wasn't ever in question.I'm sure they'll be fine, but as a general rule for all you kids out there, it's a bad idea to give an extremely high fat meal to dogs.
Well that wasn't ever in question.I'm sure they'll be fine, but as a general rule for all you kids out there, it's borderline abuse a bad idea to give McD's an extremely high fat meal to dogs mammals.
fyp...actually I sort of like McD's, but anything for a laugh.
Guess who just puked up her MickeyD's Dr. Dolittle?
"I'm sure they'll be fine" is code for "well there's nothing we can do about it now". Obviously if I was actually sure they'd be fine after eating McD's I wouldn't have strongly recommended that you don't feed it to them.
Yeah, that sucks, and it's pretty common. Fair warning: she'll probably blow out the other knee as well.
****.I think she just blew out the other one.I don't even know what happened, but she's not putting any weight on the other leg now. It doesn't look good.I'm just completely devastated right now.