The Pet Info Thread

Bella the Pitbull is home and recovering. The Vets decided to go ahead an put her Fentanyl patch on her leg instead of back as I'd specifically requested. They gave me a neck cone to keep her from disturbing the patch and bandage.Bella looks great and is in good spirits. I'll update as she progresses.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget your Mr Fritz pw?

Bella the Pitbull is home and recovering. The Vets decided to go ahead an put her Fentanyl patch on her leg instead of back as I'd specifically requested. They gave me a neck cone to keep her from disturbing the patch and bandage.Bella looks great and is in good spirits. I'll update as she progresses.
Well I am back at the emergency vet. Bella ate her Fentanyl Patch again. This is turning into an expensive dog.
Well I am back at the emergency vet. Bella ate her Fentanyl Patch again. This is turning into an expensive dog.
Dude, your vet is a fucking idiot, and you really need to tell him/her that. You told them to put the patch on her neck, they refused (or just ignored you), and then this happened...again. You should NOT have to pay for the emergency vet bill.
Dude, your vet is a fucking idiot, and you really need to tell him/her that. You told them to put the patch on her neck, they refused (or just ignored you), and then this happened...again. You should NOT have to pay for the emergency vet bill.
Yeah. I am beyond pissed right now. Granted I should have kept the cone on her, but I can't believe I am back in the Emergency Room again.
Yeah. I am beyond pissed right now. Granted I should have kept the cone on her, but I can't believe I am back in the Emergency Room again.
Oh, well, nevermind then. Still sucks though.

They tried to induce vomiting. First with somethiing called "something something Morphine". That didn't work. Then they tried the good old fashioned H2O2. That also failed.Instead of the drastic stomach pump we decided to have her stay at the emergency vet under observation.She's still there.I'll update.

Bella the Pitbull is home and recovering. She is not terribly happy about still being hobbled. But at least she is home and every minute closer to being a "normal" dog again.

Good to hear. Did they finally induce vomiting or decide that if she wasn't symptomatic yet she'd be ok?
They never successfully induced the vomiting. They monitored her vitals and she remained stable.

Dear Speedz,My pug seems to be peeing very often since we picked him up from the dog sitter. Could he have something?Sincerely,Concerned in Miami

Is he peeing more often in smaller amounts (so the same total volume/day) or peeing more often with a higher total volume/day (you might notice he's drinking more if this is the case)? Any other symptoms at all? Still eating fine, no vomiting or diarrhea, etc? Well, either way the answer is yes, he could have something.

Is he peeing more often in smaller amounts (so the same total volume/day) or peeing more often with a higher total volume/day (you might notice he's drinking more if this is the case)? Any other symptoms at all? Still eating fine, no vomiting or diarrhea, etc? Well, either way the answer is yes, he could have something.
He seems to be peeing really often in slightly smaller amounts. However, it has only been going on for half a day. It's just unusual but he may just be over-hydrated. If it continues, my wife might take him into the vet tomorrow to be safe. Our vet is a good guy and does not charge much for this sort of thing.
Have you noticed your pug's urine to have a particularly acidic taste? If so, you might have a very serious problem.
Also, it could mean the pug is sick.rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg
Have you noticed your pug's urine to have a particularly acidic taste? If so, you might have a very serious problem.
Not your best work.
I'd like to think that he was just setting up the joke for the next guy (me). Not that mine was any better.
loogie is usually hilarious so I just expect more.is it possible/likely for my dog to have picked up a UTI while being boarded?
is it possible/likely for my dog to have picked up a UTI while being boarded?
I's certainly possible, but maybe not likely...the stress, being on a different pee schedule, etc. could do it. Though right now it seems a lot more likely than I would have said it was if you'd asked before you took him to be boarded.

She might end up looking like this:2192-640.jpgAlso, I wanted to add "typical" after your "I just laid there" comment on facebook, but then I decided to keep the worlds colliding to a minimum. But I wanted you to know that I considered it, because I thought it would be funny. But, also, it would be funnier if the frenchy said it instead of me.

Also, I wanted to add "typical" after your "I just laid there" comment on facebook, but then I decided to keep the worlds colliding to a minimum. But I wanted you to know that I considered it, because I thought it would be funny. But, also, it would be funnier if the frenchy said it instead of me.
Who am I? Salzuma? Go for it next time.

My wife and I started our 100 pound Black Lab on a teaspoon per day of Omega 3 Fish Oil yesterday, hoping it will help to clear up his severely dry skin and dandruff issues. He's been pretty miserable the last couple weeks as it's warmed up, he's always had shedding issues but now just seems to be in agony with the itching. Is a teaspoon the proper dosage (seemed to be the consensus on the veterinary websites I visited), and does anyone have experience to know if this will actually help him or not? He eats high-end hypoallergenic kibble (made from bison and brown rice, I'm pretty sure) but the treats he gets are still the bad kind, made from mostly grain proteins and whatnot. We're also giving our 15 pound Bichon a quarter teaspoon of the fish oil, she doesn't necessarily need it but the dogs have a mutual jealousy thing going where whatever one dog gets the other dog must have as well. Thoughts?Thanks

From a source I trust:Dose: 180mg Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)/5kg BWSo that's about 1600mg/day for the big dog, 270mg/day for the little dog (check my math please). I'd have to know the mg/ml of the oil to do the dose in tablespoons.I'd recommend stopping with the non-hypoallergenic treats, at least while he's so miserable this time of year...that could help even though this is more of a seasonal than food allergy thing.Edit: There are some meds that can help if he's really losing his mind...short doses of steroids (cheap), something called Atopica (expensive), but your vet's the one that knows what kind of allergy it is and can give an educated recommendation, I'm just throwing out things that I've seen work before.

Speedz, how do you feel about this?Do you feel that your practice would be negatively affected if you had to worry about vet malpractice?I guess that would mean that pets would have to be considered something other than property, right?I agree that the article makes some good points and some pretty poor ones as well. I saw it and figured it could generate some discussion.Wasn't it RAC who had a dog eat a drug patch or something? Would that apply here? Would the vet who applied the patch be liable for the ER visit later on?