For A Better Understanding Of Why We Own, Or, Should Own / Carry A Gun.

Australia seems like the last place I'd expect gun control, just because of their history and all. weird. the conclusions that piece tries to draw about gun control and extermination are just absurd.
That is why I bothered not to reply to it SUCKER
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent. Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent!) In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note, that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!) While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has Changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a Loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such,monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it. You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear our president,governors or other politicians disseminating this information. Guns in the hands of honest citizens sav e lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens. Take note my fellow Americans.....before it's too late! The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson. With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'. 2007
lol.Idiot http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp
Canadians are so much nicer than Americans. I bet they dont even have murders there
your actually right, per capita canadians only have slightly less guns per persons then the US. Yet the murder rate per capita is lower. So figure that one out.
Yeah, I don't think he really gets it. Hopefully over time, and once this scare wears off he will realize that a gun in the situation he was in most likely would not have helped. Before then, I really hope he take a gun/hunter safety course and goes to the range for a few 100 rounds at minimum.
I signed up for a course offered by the DNR at the time of purchase. Going with a marksman to a range 2nite to go over some proper ways of handling/etiquette. I'm not saying I would have pulled my gun in that situation and God willing will never have to pull my gun on anyone, but I do not want to be put in a situation where someone intending to do harm to me has a gun and I do not. Just cause I have never owned a "handgun" doesn't mean I have never fired one. My whole family grandparents/uncles/cousins all carried some sort of firearm. I just was always of the opinion that it wasn't necessary until recently

To be honest thinking about it a little more, if i Lived in the USA knowing alot of people are packing, i probably would too. But i would think its ridiculous that i had too

I signed up for a course offered by the DNR at the time of purchase. Going with a marksman to a range 2nite to go over some proper ways of handling/etiquette. I'm not saying I would have pulled my gun in that situation and God willing will never have to pull my gun on anyone, but I do not want to be put in a situation where someone intending to do harm to me has a gun and I do not. Just cause I have never owned a "handgun" doesn't mean I have never fired one. My whole family grandparents/uncles/cousins all carried some sort of firearm. I just was always of the opinion that it wasn't necessary until recently
I know a lot of what you typed was kind of heat of the moment stuff, but I am glad that this is how you are handling this, than what you were insinuating.
your actually right, per capita canadians only have slightly less guns per persons then the US. Yet the murder rate per capita is lower. So figure that one out.
Canadians who legally own guns own rifles and shotguns and it's almost impossible to get a carry permit for a handgun. Rifles and shotguns don't kill people, hand guns do.

I don't own a gun, and can't own one for at least 7 more years, but I have a gun story from two nights ago.My wife and I were on an anniversary getaway to the smokey mountains this past week. We were up in the middle of NOWHERE. Backroads, windy roads, up retarded hills. Pros: Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous viewsCons: No one can get to you for at least 30 minutes should you need help.We were there for 5 nights and on our last night, the 5th, we were asleep up in the cabins loft. The only thing in the loft in the bed and TV pretty much and everything else is downstairs. About 2:30 am my wife wakes me saying there is someone trying to break into the cabin. My wife is pretty paranoid and is always the one to hear every creak and crack. I initially dismissed her then I heard footsteps myself out on the porch by the door.I immediately jumped up and peaked off the balcony to see if I could see anything and I heard more steps and rattling and a slight hit against the door. It is about this time that I realize I dont have my cell phone up there, I have nothing that can be used as any type of weapon and am pretty freaked out racking my brain with what to do's and the whole time the movie "The Strangers" running through the back of my mind.We had just finished watching Gladiator on VHS of course so I grabbed that tape (my only weapon) and decided I was going to try and get down the loft stairs to grab my cell phone sitting on the fireplace mantle. I made it to the fireplace and exchanged my VHS tape for an ironrod fire poker which was a much better weapon of choice. All the lights were out and I heard a pretty loud 'thud' outside on the porch and my hands are starting to sweat now, especially knowing there is no way any help can get there for at least 30 minutes at best case and I was on my own to protect myself and my wife.After sitting quietly for about 30 seconds waiting for the next move I heard what was more of a 'scurrying'. My wife whispers down from the loft, "you didnt leave all that trash on the front porch last night did you?" FUCK! So my fears of dying have now lowered and I'm wondering what kind of animal is out there (I'm still hoping it is an animal). I lifted up the blinds by the front door slowly with my firepoker and then WHAMMMMMMMM these two fat ass raccoons jumped off one of the garbage bags and headed back into the wilderness.After we gathered our breath and composure and spent 15 minutes cleaning up trash strung all over the porch (along with a big turd one of them left behind as well) it was the first time in my life where I really wished I had a gun with me because I left completely helpless.

I don't own a gun, and can't own one for at least 7 more years, but I have a gun story from two nights ago.My wife and I were on an anniversary getaway to the smokey mountains this past week. We were up in the middle of NOWHERE. Backroads, windy roads, up retarded hills. Pros: Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous viewsCons: No one can get to you for at least 30 minutes should you need help.We were there for 5 nights and on our last night, the 5th, we were asleep up in the cabins loft. The only thing in the loft in the bed and TV pretty much and everything else is downstairs. About 2:30 am my wife wakes me saying there is someone trying to break into the cabin. My wife is pretty paranoid and is always the one to hear every creak and crack. I initially dismissed her then I heard footsteps myself out on the porch by the door.I immediately jumped up and peaked off the balcony to see if I could see anything and I heard more steps and rattling and a slight hit against the door. It is about this time that I realize I dont have my cell phone up there, I have nothing that can be used as any type of weapon and am pretty freaked out racking my brain with what to do's and the whole time the movie "The Strangers" running through the back of my mind.We had just finished watching Gladiator on VHS of course so I grabbed that tape (my only weapon) and decided I was going to try and get down the loft stairs to grab my cell phone sitting on the fireplace mantle. I made it to the fireplace and exchanged my VHS tape for an ironrod fire poker which was a much better weapon of choice. All the lights were out and I heard a pretty loud 'thud' outside on the porch and my hands are starting to sweat now, especially knowing there is no way any help can get there for at least 30 minutes at best case and I was on my own to protect myself and my wife.After sitting quietly for about 30 seconds waiting for the next move I heard what was more of a 'scurrying'. My wife whispers down from the loft, "you didnt leave all that trash on the front porch last night did you?" FUCK! So my fears of dying have now lowered and I'm wondering what kind of animal is out there (I'm still hoping it is an animal). I lifted up the blinds by the front door slowly with my firepoker and then WHAMMMMMMMM these two fat ass raccoons jumped off one of the garbage bags and headed back into the wilderness.After we gathered our breath and composure and spent 15 minutes cleaning up trash strung all over the porch (along with a big turd one of them left behind as well) it was the first time in my life where I really wished I had a gun with me because I left completely helpless.
That is the best gun story I have ever read that involves no gun.
lmao you had me going. Glad nothing bad happened. that is 100% the wife's fault leaving garbage on the front porch is standard.Reminds of a time when, My brother and his freind were coming in my house. They were under the assumption that no one was home. But i was to they're dismay. Right as they were coming in I so happened to be running up the stairs my brother only saw my leg. He yelled " who's that!!!" I didnt really answer cause i just thought he was joking around and i just made some weird funnyish sound. I was going to grab something in my room and came running back down the stairs about 18 seconds later. I was goin full steam ahead i was about 16 or so and i would generally fly up and down stairs 2 or more steps at a time. As i got to about the 5th step from the bottom i looked up to see my bro and his friend armed with a pimp cane and a louisville slugger. I was so shocked that I lost my footing and fell really hard on my ass. My bro and his friend proceeded to laugh they're ass's off and kick me while i was down.
I don't own a gun, and can't own one for at least 7 more years, but I have a gun story from two nights ago.My wife and I were on an anniversary getaway to the smokey mountains this past week. We were up in the middle of NOWHERE. Backroads, windy roads, up retarded hills. Pros: Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous viewsCons: No one can get to you for at least 30 minutes should you need help.We were there for 5 nights and on our last night, the 5th, we were asleep up in the cabins loft. The only thing in the loft in the bed and TV pretty much and everything else is downstairs. About 2:30 am my wife wakes me saying there is someone trying to break into the cabin. My wife is pretty paranoid and is always the one to hear every creak and crack. I initially dismissed her then I heard footsteps myself out on the porch by the door.I immediately jumped up and peaked off the balcony to see if I could see anything and I heard more steps and rattling and a slight hit against the door. It is about this time that I realize I dont have my cell phone up there, So I grab my gun, tip toe down stairs so as not to scare away the bad guy, because I will have full imunity from prosectution if he is attempting to break into my residence while I am asleep and I shoot him, and peek outside and to my dismay I only find two fat raccoons. I shoot one, let the other live so he can tell his woodland friends not to mess with my trash, and skin the little bugger so I can later make a raccoon hat like Daniel Boone used to wear.Then I went back to sleep, content in my knowledge that I am safe no matter where I am because I am a responsible gun owner
Fyp for if you were a true red blooded American gun toting manly man
because I will have full imunity from prosectution if he is attempting to break into my residence while I am asleep and I shoot him
False. The laws differ by state, but I believe there are very few states where that is the law. In most places you can only use deadly force if you feel threatened. If you hear footsteps downstairs, grab your gun and tiptoe down only to find a robber grabbing your tv or jewelry or whatever and so you shoot him dead, GL in court. Regardless of the situation, you are never immune from prosecution, although a D.A. isn't going to want to prosecute you if it was obviously self-defense.
False. The laws differ by state, but I believe there are very few states where that is the law. In most places you can only use deadly force if you feel threatened. If you hear footsteps downstairs, grab your gun and tiptoe down only to find a robber grabbing your tv or jewelry or whatever and so you shoot him dead, GL in court. Regardless of the situation, you are never immune from prosecution, although a D.A. isn't going to want to prosecute you if it was obviously self-defense.
Whats the diff?
Something to think about... In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million 'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. -----------------------------Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million. ------------------------------It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent. Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent!) In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note, that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!) While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has Changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a Loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such,monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it. You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear our president,governors or other politicians disseminating this information. Guns in the hands of honest citizens sav e lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens. Take note my fellow Americans.....before it's too late! The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson. With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'. 2007
good call. If we didn't have guns, we'd have genocide.

I know I've stated this before (most likely in one of the other "debates" over guns and self defense) but here it is again:If you shoot and kill or even just wound an intruder you are most likely going to be arrested. period. The only words out of you mouth should be: "I was afraid for my life and I want a lawyer." The police (not every time but often enough to risk it) will want to question you and will do their best to beguile you into saying something incriminatory, obfuscate various facts to fit their opinion of how events transpired, and twist your statements into something that makes you appear guilty. In their mind you just shot somebody, for all they know the dead guy was your lover and this is a simply case of homo-cide. In most cases you WILL BE ARRESTED. No amount of talking is going to stop it and nothing you say will help but it can be used later to hurt your position. Now, your life would be considerably easier if you have a lawyer on retainer and he is willing to rush right over but unless you're rollin fat like BG I doubt those are your circumstances. So say it with me childrens:"I WAS AFRAID FOR MY LIFE AND I WANT A LAWYER."

Whats the diff?
Well depending on the situation, it could be a lot. If you did clearly act in defense of yourself or your family then the D.A. would have no desire to prosecute since there was no crime, so essentially there would be no difference, but you would still not exactly be immune from prosecution - you would simply be innocent. But if the water was a bit muddy and the D.A. thought a crime had been committed (on your part, in defending your home) then they might want to prosecute, either to force you into a plea deal or because they think a jury might actually convict you of manslaughter in whatever degree.EDIT: I see now that my 2nd paragraph ^^^ didn't really have much to do with your question, but the main point is that you are never immune from prosecution unless you sign an immunity agreement under whatever circumstances. In other words, even if you did act in complete self defense, the police and DA might not see it that way.
If you shoot and kill or even just wound an intruder you are most likely going to be arrested. period. The only words out of you mouth should be: "I was afraid for my life and I want a lawyer."
Agreed, and fyp.