For A Better Understanding Of Why We Own, Or, Should Own / Carry A Gun.

Well depending on the situation, it could be a lot. If you did clearly act in defense of yourself or your family then the D.A. would have no desire to prosecute since there was no crime, so essentially there would be no difference, but you would still not exactly be immune from prosecution - you would simply be innocent. But if the water was a bit muddy and the D.A. thought a crime had been committed (on your part, in defending your home) then they might want to prosecute, either to force you into a plea deal or because they think a jury might actually convict you of manslaughter in whatever degree.
and don't overlook the civil suit issues.
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've stated this before (most likely in one of the other "debates" over guns and self defense) but here it is again:If you shoot and kill or even just wound an intruder you are most likely going to be arrested. period. The only words out of you mouth should be: "I was afraid for my life and I want a lawyer." The police (not every time but often enough to risk it) will want to question you and will do their best to beguile you into saying something incriminatory, obfuscate various facts to fit their opinion of how events transpired, and twist your statements into something that makes you appear guilty. In their mind you just shot somebody, for all they know the dead guy was your lover and this is a simply case of homo-cide. In most cases you WILL BE ARRESTED. No amount of talking is going to stop it and nothing you say will help but it can be used later to hurt your position. Now, your life would be considerably easier if you have a lawyer on retainer and he is willing to rush right over but unless you're rollin fat like BG I doubt those are your circumstances. So say it with me childrens:"I WAS AFRAID FOR MY LIFE AND I WANT A LAWYER."
well, only if he isn't black.

If the cops ever question me Im going to say, "Yeah, I know. I'm guilty. I understand that. I knew it was a crime, and I did it anyways. Shit, why argue? I'm a ****ing criminal, look at me. "

If the cops ever question me Im going to say, "Yeah, I know. I'm guilty. I understand that. I knew it was a crime, and I did it anyways. Shit, why argue? I'm a ****ing criminal, look at me. "
that's a strange attitude.
Maybe they'll ask you for a kiss.
Well depending on the situation, it could be a lot. If you did clearly act in defense of yourself or your family then the D.A. would have no desire to prosecute since there was no crime, so essentially there would be no difference, but you would still not exactly be immune from prosecution - you would simply be innocent. But if the water was a bit muddy and the D.A. thought a crime had been committed (on your part, in defending your home) then they might want to prosecute, either to force you into a plea deal or because they think a jury might actually convict you of manslaughter in whatever degree.EDIT: I see now that my 2nd paragraph ^^^ didn't really have much to do with your question, but the main point is that you are never immune from prosecution unless you sign an immunity agreement under whatever circumstances. In other words, even if you did act in complete self defense, the police and DA might not see it that way.Agreed, and fyp.
Nope. The first statement is crucial to your defense and/or getting the charges dismissed. You've just established the foundation for self defense with that one little line.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away... Why I OWN a Gun>My old grandpa said to me, "Son, there comes a time in every man's life whenhe stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when hebecomes too old to take an ass whoopin'." I don't own a gun to kill people. I own a gun to keep from being killed.I don't own a gun to scare people. I own a gun because sometimes thisworld can be a scary place.I don't own a gun because I'm paranoid. I own a gun because there arereal threats in the world.I don't own a gun because I'm evil. I own a gun because I have livedlong enough to see the evil in the world.I don't own a gun because I hate the government. I own agun because I understand the limitations of government.I don't own a gun because I'm angry. I own a gun so that I don't have tospend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.I don't own a gun because I want to shoot someone. I own a gun because Iwant to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewheretomorrow afternoon.I don't own a gun because I'm a cowboy. I own a gun because, when I dieand go to Heaven, I want to be a cowboy.I don't own a gun to make me feel like a man. I own a gunbecause men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.I don't own a gun because I feel inadequate. I own a gun because unarmedand facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.I don't own a gun because I love it. I own a gun because I love life andthe people who make it meaningful to me."Police Protection" is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime; they usually just investigate thecrime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.Personally, I own a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to takean ass whoopin'. Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4minutes. The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPSI hope you have a Happy New Year and never need your gun!
http://www.ctsafekids.org/Fact_Sheets/fact5.htm
False. The laws differ by state, but I believe there are very few states where that is the law. In most places you can only use deadly force if you feel threatened. If you hear footsteps downstairs, grab your gun and tiptoe down only to find a robber grabbing your tv or jewelry or whatever and so you shoot him dead, GL in court. Regardless of the situation, you are never immune from prosecution, although a D.A. isn't going to want to prosecute you if it was obviously self-defense.
That's why we have juries.
I know I've stated this before (most likely in one of the other "debates" over guns and self defense) but here it is again:If you shoot and kill or even just wound an intruder you are most likely going to be arrested. period. The only words out of you mouth should be: "I was afraid for my life and I want a lawyer."
This ^

I would like to own a gun, but it wouldn't be a USA made gun, most likely...Probably a Glock or a Heckler-Koch, although an antique Remington would be awesome!

I would like to own a gun, but it wouldn't be a USA made gun, most likely...Probably a Glock or a Heckler-Koch, although an antique Remington would be awesome!
SIG, you will never be sorry.
I always carry one..... even mowing the lawn
Hell yeah!! Shoooot, I evn carry one when I'm takin a dump too. Nothing more embarrassing than a burglar cappin yo ass with your britches down and a handful of TP instead of your own gun!!
So lets do a scenario. You lock the doors and eventually he leaves. You hit the pedal and get out like you did. You make noise and people come help. You have a gun and shoot at him, he in turn unloads on your car. Yep thats much safer.
This is ignorant. If someone wants to get into the car, they ARE going to get into the car. This statement is made from the little "everything is safe in my world" mentality, and hope that a locked door will stop a criminal, until they are busting that glass in your face.
13 in the clip .40 cal I don't think I'll be firing one and I highly doubt there will be any return fire
If you feel you are in real danger you keep that trigger down.
I actually think suicide is one of the best reasons to own I gun.. I think people completely have the right to kill themselves, if that's their desire, and a gun shot wound to the head is one of the easiest and most effective ways.
Just leave the mess for your family to clean up later.
then and only then will he be ready to face the world with his pistol. Cause the fact that you are paranoid enough to carry around a gun with youMeans your going to be totally cool under that type of circumstance. You can try handing your wallet over.
Sounds like in his post that the world is what forced him to get one and learn how to use it. I completly respect someone's opinion to learn to defend their family in whatever way possible.
Did you read the rest of my post? I am an avid pro gun person, but it doesn't mean that I think driving around strapped with your kid in a car seat is necessarily a goo idea either. If I was in traffic and someone was trying to get into my car, I would floor it front or back and ram whatever car/thing was there to get away, even if I did have a gun.
I agree with only using a gun as a last resort.
I don't know. But whoever thought it was a good idea to give the common man the right to arms for no apparent reason without thinking of the possible outcome might be at fault. It could also be the thousandths of people after him that kept it in place until now. It may have been needed for a period of time, but that time is long past us imo.
Thats how this country got it's independence was the common man rising up against oppression and earning their freedom.
Something to think about... In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. ------------------------------Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million 'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. -----------------------------Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million. ------------------------------It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent. Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent!) In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note, that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!) While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has Changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a Loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such,monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it. You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear our president,governors or other politicians disseminating this information. Guns in the hands of honest citizens sav e lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens. Take note my fellow Americans.....before it's too late! The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson. With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'. 2007
Great post. I think its Finland....think.....that every person in the household has to learn to use a semi-automatic weapon when the turn the legal age and that country has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.
Canadians who legally own guns own rifles and shotguns and it's almost impossible to get a carry permit for a handgun. Rifles and shotguns don't kill people, hand guns do.
That is the most idiotic comment in this thread. This kind of statement reminds me of the scene in "Happy Gilmore" when Shooter hits the ball off that giant man's foot and he has a shirt on "Guns don't kill people, I kill people"
Theres something wrong with me, but it would tickle me something awful if you posted in like two weeks about how you shot yourself. I'd probably die laughing.And thats exactly what the founding fathers were intending. Retarded stunt man packs heat while mowing lawn.
fail
You're trying too hard to be funny and it isn't working.How's work going?you chose poorly
haha, I heart Hollywood AFD :club:
1. I wasnt even trying to be funny.2. Dont you ever ask me about my work.3. What does that even mean? This isnt Indiana Jones.I knew I liked you.
sigh, fail yet again
When people carry guns, it seems so easy for a real bad argument to end up with someone pulling out a gun to 'solve the problem'. It's sad, real sad. People always argue that "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". If no one carried than most arguments that got out of control would result in fist fights and not someone dead on the street because of 1 bad decision while carrying a gun.
Sigh.