Watch As Obama Tries To Eliminate Free Speech

Could someone locate me to the bit in the article that the title actually has any relevance to?
Well, it can't be distilled to a one-line soundbite that Obama supporters live for, so it may be hard to explain. But basically, Obama and his closest advisors believe in a policy, called "localism", in which a single complaint from a someone in the community that the radio station is not serving the community can lead to an investigation of the radio station, and possible loss of license. This has been a popular tactic against conservative radio, but while Bush was in charge, the complaints went nowhere. Obama will, eventually, be able to appoint FCC commissioners, and complaints such as these, supported by an Obama administration, will no longer fall on deaf ears. In other words, it's a back-door way to revive the much-reviled "Fairness Doctrine" in which radio and TV stations had to analyze every sentence and determine if it favored one side or the other, forcing them to balance it with counter-commentary. In practice what happened is radio and TV which said nothing about anything and nobody wanted to listen to. Liberals don't like free airwaves because their crappy radio network failed, while conservatives continue to dominate.
Could someone locate me to the bit in the article that the title actually has any relevance to?
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rule in question is called "localism." Radio and television stations are required to serve the interests of their local community as a condition of keeping their broadcast licenses. Obama needs only three votes from the five-member FCC to define localism in such a way that no radio station would dare air any syndicated conservative programming.This report complained that there was too much conservative talk on the radio because of "the absence of localism in American radio markets" and urged the FCC to "[e]nsure greater local accountability over radio licensing.
So then does this apply to TV too?
Yes, in theory, but there are no "conservative local TV stations", and it is unlikely that an Obama administration would risk wasting such a powerful political tool because, for example, some local anchor asked Biden a few tough questions. They only want the big guns.

SKY IS FALLING!But, seriously, if someone makes a complaint, I think the complainant should be looked at also. They may have a hidden agenda and their claims may not be well-founded. If someone makes a complaint and it is found that there is no basis to the complaint, that person(s) should be punished, much like the Loss of Down to a football team if they challenge a ruling on the field and go to video...I have complaints against a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean I represent the majority or even a small minority...Henry, don't be such a friggin' alarmist.

I say good for him. its about time that liberals got equal representation in the media.
There is now medication for delusions….
SKY IS FALLING!But, seriously, if someone makes a complaint, I think the complainant should be looked at also. They may have a hidden agenda and their claims may not be well-founded. If someone makes a complaint and it is found that there is no basis to the complaint, that person(s) should be punished, much like the Loss of Down to a football team if they challenge a ruling on the field and go to video...I have complaints against a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean I represent the majority or even a small minority...Henry, don't be such a friggin' alarmist.
So theoretically the FCC COULD vote to define localism in a way that would unfairly target conservative broadcasters and Obama PROBABLY wants that to happen so, 'Watch As Obama Tries To Eliminate Free Speech'
This isn't a theoretical notion that could possibly happen at some point, this is an idea that Obama's close advisors and associates have pushed for years as a way to get some balance to the Rush Limbaughs of the world. And the person who has been pushing this idea now has the power to unilaterally make it happen. Yeah, I guess it's nothing to worry about. We should just let him hand-pick his FCC commissioners, let a single Democratic operative lodge a complaint, have the FCC shut down a station unless they air Air America, and have the commissioners agree. THEN we should complain. No need to start complaining now. It's best if we wait until they take away free speech rights before we speak out in favor of them.
Why does localism favor liberal radio over conservative radio? Where is the symmetry broken?
It doesn't, but from what I understand, they will not be able to air these syndicated shows, which on radio are primarily conservative. So they will virtually shut dowLimbaughSavageHannityTom SullivanDr. Lauraetc.

Again, this is the problem with having governmental solutions to free market problems...If Air America was viable business... it would be counter balanced with conservative talk radio

Why does localism favor liberal radio over conservative radio? Where is the symmetry broken?
In theory, it doesn't, and it's a terrible policy either way. In practice, Air America sucked and died of it's own accord, while conservative radio dominates, so it's a tool that is powerful to liberals, not so much for conservatives.

Anyone ever listen to AirAmerica? It was pretty bad no matter what side of the political road you like to stay on.There is a large cross section of Americans that enjoy listening to conservative radio shows. I don't see the need for all the governmental energy put toward shutting that down? Why turn off a piece of interesting "entertainment"? Kind of makes me wonder what kind of people we have attempting to stifle "free speech". If the liberal shows were better, more people would listen. Since a democratic candidate was elected, you would think there would be an audience for a good product....

Anyone ever listen to AirAmerica? It was pretty bad no matter what side of the political road you like to stay on.There is a large cross section of Americans that enjoy listening to conservative radio shows. I don't see the need for all the governmental energy put toward shutting that down? Why turn off a piece of interesting "entertainment"? Kind of makes me wonder what kind of people we have attempting to stifle "free speech". If the liberal shows were better, more people would listen. Since a democratic candidate was elected, you would think there would be an audience for a good product....
They already do, CBS, ABC, MSNBC and NBC.
because small town america is the real amer-- wait. um, because, um....that such an article could have been written by a blogger who calls his work "the american thinker" is more than a little ironic. just because you force terminology on people and put a bunch of stuff beside each other doesn't mean that they're related, and it isn't "american thinker-like" to use sparse, anecdotal associations between people that have no direct relationship to obama in order to "conclusively predict" something that obama will for sure do in the future. in short, if you like, just LOL.btw, in other news, since obama has declared that his cabinet will contain republicans, obama is now obviously a conservative. what an asshole.
btw, in other news, since obama has declared that his cabinet will contain republicans, obama is now obviously a conservative. what an asshole.
Although I think that was sort of sarcastic, I'm going to address it anyway because I've heard people legitimately call that bipartisan. If McCain appointed Lieberman to his cabinet, would that be bipartisan? Or Zell Miller?The way you guys feel about those guys is how Republicans feel about Chuck Hagel.