Indentured Servitude: The New Teen Tax

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so the second half is exactly what I said, and the first half avoids the very issue I raised. The BWF is a parable about a closed economic system. War is not a closed economic system because of the consequences of ignoring the aggression. As a result it has nothing to do with the BWF.
2nd half: so, in other words, you agree with me on the fact that "trickle down" has no basis in this argument.war/closed economic system: the second world war did not have any bearing on whether the US made it out of the depression. the stuff I cited (delay of commercial releases, deferral of road work, etc.) all came as a result of the capital and labor that were diverted for the war effort. the war improved the US's position in the world but was NOT a factor in the severity/length of the depression. I'm not arguing the "cost of ignoring the aggression" stuff.
2nd half: so, in other words, you agree with me on the fact that "trickle down" has no basis in this argument.war/closed economic system: the second world war did not have any bearing on whether the US made it out of the depression. the stuff I cited (delay of commercial releases, deferral of road work, etc.) all came as a result of the capital and labor that were diverted for the war effort. the war improved the US's position in the world but was NOT a factor in the severity/length of the depression. I'm not arguing the "cost of ignoring the aggression" stuff.
I already said that the mention of trickle down was in anticipation of your argument that there are offsets to the shopkeers cost that trickle down to him. I didnt say they did.I responsed to a claim, by you or someone else, that war is the "insert superlative adjective" example of the BWF, it isnt that is all Ive said..
I responsed to a claim, by you or someone else, that war is the "insert superlative adjective" example of the BWF, it isnt that is all Ive said..
The broken window fallacy doesn't even apply to breaking windows if you put the owner of the window outside of your model.
The broken window fallacy doesn't even apply to breaking windows if you put the owner of the window outside of your model.
Yes, there is no fallacy if there is no problem in the first place. Master of the obvious.
Yes, there is no fallacy if there is no problem in the first place. Master of the obvious.
It's supposed to be obvious, so that you we can draw a parallel to your statement. It's not obvious where everyone is drawing the lines around the system. Are you including the Iraqis? American people as a whole, or just the military-industrial complex?
It's supposed to be obvious, so that you we can draw a parallel to your statement. It's not obvious where everyone is drawing the lines around the system. Are you including the Iraqis? American people as a whole, or just the military-industrial complex?
I have no clue what youre talking about. Bastiat's analysis was in terms of a closed economic system. If you want to make a point about some particular economic system, then define it and make your point. However, you will never be able to define a closed system that can accomodate the BWF that also includes war because the aggressor's economic interests dont intersect with the economy youre defining.
I have no clue what youre talking about. Bastiat's analysis was in terms of a closed economic system. If you want to make a point about some particular economic system, then define it and make your point. However, you will never be able to define a closed system that can accomodate the BWF that also includes war because the aggressor's economic interests dont intersect with the economy youre defining.
We can define a economy for the whole world and then see that BWF does apply.
We can define a economy for the whole world and then see that BWF does apply.
No, you cant. An agressor is ultimately attempting to co-opt the economy you define, which places it outside of any economic system you can define.

I don't really know about this broken window deal but I do know that the War helped pull the United States out of the depression I think there are 27 reasons for this but two of the major reasons had to do with the fact that there were two people in a household (for the most part) earning money and all the woman that entered the work force were producing weapons that the United States was using to arm most of the combatants in the war.

No, you cant. An agressor is ultimately attempting to co-opt the economy you define, which places it outside of any economic system you can define.
it really can't get any simpler. america's position in the world improved as a result of the war, but the war itself did nothing w/r/t the depression, and left the country in a much worse state than it was pre-war. this garbage you're attempting to introduce, including aggressors and the rest, is really just irrelevant. we're just gonna have to agree to disagree, I suppose.