Indentured Servitude: The New Teen Tax

I cheated. My friend's grandma runs a shelter for abused boys, and she signed off for me. Later that summer I had to help her grandson do a bunch of yardwork, but nowhere near the amount of hours that they required.
pah, you missed your shot. Plenty of talent there.
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe my school district was different, but am I the only one that had to complete a certain amount of volunteer/public service hours in order to pass Civics (government, whatever your school calls it) senior year of HS?
Here in Ontario one of the requirements for earning your high school diploma is 50 hours of unpaid community service. The 50 hours is over their entire four years and they decide what they'll do. My Niece taught softball to younger kids as she is an elite softball pitcher.http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/extra/eng/ppm/124a.html
I had to do like 40 hours I think for my senior year " citizenship issues class", taught by an honest to god pinko. I volunteered at a children's museum. Scoutin' out talent, knowwhatimean?
Yeah I was going to come in and say this as well. In my senior year, for Participation In Governement, we had to complete 20 hours of community service to pass the class. The class was mandatory for graduation. I was in upstate New York in a highly Conservative area and my teacher (actually a professor) was a 70 year old Republican and a huuuuuge W supporter.

From Change.govCreate the American Opportunity Tax Credit: Obama and Biden will make college affordable for all Americans by creating a new American Opportunity Tax Credit. This universal and fully refundable credit will ensure that the first $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans, and will cover two-thirds the cost of tuition at the average public college or university and make community college tuition completely free for most students. Recipients of the credit will be required to conduct 100 hours of community service. This I have no problem with... but saying $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans, and will cover two-thirds the cost of tuition at the average public college or university and make community college tuition completely free for most studentsis absolutely absurb4G's doesnt come close to paying for a childs education, room & board, books etc

From Change.govCreate the American Opportunity Tax Credit: Obama and Biden will make college affordable for all Americans by creating a new American Opportunity Tax Credit. This universal and fully refundable credit will ensure that the first $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans, and will cover two-thirds the cost of tuition at the average public college or university and make community college tuition completely free for most students. Recipients of the credit will be required to conduct 100 hours of community service. This I have no problem with... but saying $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans, and will cover two-thirds the cost of tuition at the average public college or university and make community college tuition completely free for most studentsis absolutely absurb4G's doesnt come close to paying for a childs education, room & board, books etc
Kids can stay at home mooching off of the parents to save costs
4000? Bwahahaha. As far as the volunteering thing, it was already a requirement in H.S.

i'm really curious as to how you guys think this is different from manadatory high school education.if you call it "service class" instead of "required service in middle school and high school," does that still make the libertarians throw a fit?

i'm really curious as to how you guys think this is different from manadatory high school education.if you call it "service class" instead of "required service in middle school and high school," does that still make the libertarians throw a fit?
Is this a bad time for me to come out of the closet as being against mandatory high school education?
Is this a bad time for me to come out of the closet as being against mandatory high school education?
this sentence makes you sound like a gayer republican than larry craig. or ted haggart. or balloon guy
this sentence makes you sound like a gayer republican than larry craig. or ted haggart. or balloon guy
Well, in all fairness, who doesn't like fcking male hookers on crystal meth?See, the problem I have is with "Mandatory". I think we should have free public education, I just don't think it should be mandatory. There's a huge amount of kids who "go to school" but really they don't. They don't learn anything, they do a bunch of drugs, get loaded, skip class, and some of them make learning difficult for the kids who actually want to be there. These kids obviously have no interest in learning, so they shouldn't be there, and the state shouldn't make them be, it's a waste of their time and our money, IMO. I'm also against vouchers, if that makes me less homo.
From Change.govCreate the American Opportunity Tax Credit: Obama and Biden will make college affordable for all Americans by creating a new American Opportunity Tax Credit. This universal and fully refundable credit will ensure that the first $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans, and will cover two-thirds the cost of tuition at the average public college or university and make community college tuition completely free for most students. Recipients of the credit will be required to conduct 100 hours of community service. This I have no problem with... but saying $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans, and will cover two-thirds the cost of tuition at the average public college or university and make community college tuition completely free for most studentsis absolutely absurb4G's doesnt come close to paying for a childs education, room & board, books etcCome's close to covering the first semister at University of Montana Estimated semester costs for freshmen (2007-08)Montana residentTuition and fees, $2,570Room and board, $2,930Books and supplies, $425Total costs, $5,925
See, the problem I have is with "Mandatory". I think we should have free public education, I just don't think it should be mandatory. There's a huge amount of kids who "go to school" but really they don't. They don't learn anything, they do a bunch of drugs, get loaded, skip class (i would guess, someone has to look after them in order that they don't do this...), and some of them make learning difficult for the kids who actually want to be there. These kids obviously have no interest in learning, so they shouldn't be there, and the state shouldn't make them be, it's a waste of their time and our money, IMO.
so you rather create a generation of uneducated idiots? (exaggerating, obv)come on. most childen don't like to go to school. they just have to, if they want a chance for a good life. and since they are too young to consider the consequences, someone has to tell them what they have to do (and sometimes their parents, too, sadly). the key is, to give everyone the opportunity, even if they are not that rich.kids + education = mostvaluable resource for the future. good school education = better opportunities in the job market = better for economy, country and society.
so you rather create a generation of uneducated idiots? (exaggerating, obv)come on. most childen don't like to go to school. they just have to, if they want a chance for a good life. and since they are too young to consider the consequences, someone has to tell them what they have to do (and sometimes their parents, too, sadly). the key is, to give everyone the opportunity, even if they are not that rich.kids + education = mostvaluable resource for the future. good school education = better opportunities in the job market = better for economy, country and society.
1) again, I said that we should have free public education. I fully believe in giving them an opportunity. 2) I've got news for you... if their parents don't care about their kids going to school, and the kids don't care about going to school, then them going to school is totally ****ing useless. I know it's this happy, fairy tale dream, that all kids are going to school, work hard at it, become lawyers, fck the prom queen and live happily ever after. But it's just not the case. Some kids are troubled, some are inattentive, some are drug addicts some are outright criminals and sociopaths. I know "most kids don't like going to school" but, what good are they really getting? You know exactly the type of kids i'm talkin gabout, if you went to public school like I did. It was a huge waist of their time. They were stoned, they were disruptive, they skpped classes a bunch of the time, and they were just killing time till they turned 16, when the could just drop out ( which they did). It's a waist of ****ing time and money to teach a 15 year old who's going to drop out at 16 anyway. Why not let him drop out at 15? Because we want to have state sponsored daycare?
Don't hate on me just because I have half your formal educationAnd make 4 times your salarywith one third the effort
Not really volunteering if it's a requirement, is it?
exactly.
In fairness he is taking a libertarian point of view... not republican. (although there are plenty of lib republicans in the lower right hand quadrant)

I just want to point out that they totally changed the wording since this morning....

America Serves "When you choose to serve-- whether it's your nation, your community or simply your neighborhood -- you are connected to that fundamental American ideal that we want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness not just for ourselves, but for all Americans. That's why it's called the American dream."The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.
America Serves "When you choose to serve -- whether it's your nation, your community or simply your neighborhood -- you are connected to that fundamental American ideal that we want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness not just for ourselves, but for all Americans. That's why it's called the American dream."The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by setting a goal that all middle school and high school students do 50 hours of community service a year and by developing a plan so that all college students who conduct 100 hours of community service receive a universal and fully refundable tax credit ensuring that the first $4,000 of their college education is completely free. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.
exactly.In fairness he is taking a libertarian point of view... not republican. (although there are plenty of lib republicans in the lower right hand quadrant)
Yeah, I would call myself a schizophrenic liberal, because I have sympathy for some social welfare programs that true libertarians would shudder at, but I have a large libertarian streak, when it comes to the government making you do things or preventing you from doing them. It's probably because I was basically an anarchist for a while, that it shows up in things like this.
Personally with all the deal that you guys have about kids accepting responsibility and all, why the heck do you think this is such a bad idea?
Because government servitude doesn't teach responsibility, it teaches that your government sucks and that there are always ways to get around bureaucratic obstacles if you are rich and persistent enough.It's sort of like teaching the opposite of responsibility.
To me, giving kids some ownership and pride in their communities ....
Too bad this program would be the opposite of that.
Don't you think it might just cut down on the vandalism etc if the kids know that next week they're going to be cleaning up the mess?
Let's see, if I'm an angry rebellious youth, and my community tells me I have to go waste an hour pretending to work at some crappy place that I don't care about, am I more likely to increase or decrease the level of my rebellion?
I cheated. My friend's grandma runs a shelter for abused boys, and she signed off for me. Later that summer I had to help her grandson do a bunch of yardwork, but nowhere near the amount of hours that they required.
Exactly. Quite the community values a program like this teaches.
Because 99.9% of parents want their kids to go to school and would send them to school even without public schools. Very few parents want their children to become wards of the state and treated the same as criminals trying to pay back to society for a crime they committied.If the "service class" in school was optional, I wouldn't have a problem with it, just as art is optional in most schools. But if it was mandatory and therefore replacing the primary goal of the school -- education -- then yes, I'd object strongly. Public schools are sucking bad enough without being distracted by feel-good programs that do more harm than good.