Let's See Some Bluffaments

Well actually I have not won many mtts, just a couple of little ones. More of my wins are the satellites to the Sunday Million.So thanks for this - it is helpful. When I was playing, and accumulating chips like crazy up to that point, I kept asking myself WWGD? Hee Hee - What Would Govshark2 do?
Probably not turn 99 into a bluff representing KK or AA (and I still disagree that it's a bluff - if your opponent is calling with worse, you aren't really bluffing).
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not turn 99 into a bluff representing KK or AA (and I still disagree that it's a bluff - if your opponent is calling with worse, you aren't really bluffing).
Ok, back to basics then for you.Q: What is a bluff?A: To represent a much stronger hand than you actually have, to entice your opponent to fold.Q: Is AA stronger than 99A: YesQ: If I push after being 3 bet, am I trying to represent AA?A: YesQ: Was I bluffing then, trying to represent AA when I had 99?A: Yes.Q: Did I want to get into a flip with my opponent?A: No.Q: Then why did you push?A: To represent a VERY big hand.Q: Were you bluffing then?A: Yes, I had 99 and was trying to represent AA or KK.Geez - it is not that tough.
Ok, back to basics then for you.Q: What is a bluff?A: To represent a much stronger hand than you actually have, to entice your opponent to fold.Q: Is AA stronger than 99A: YesQ: If I push after being 3 bet, am I trying to represent AA?A: YesQ: Was I bluffing then, trying to represent AA when I had 99?A: Yes.Q: Did I want to get into a flip with my opponent?A: No.Q: Then why did you push?A: To represent a VERY big hand.Q: Were you bluffing then?A: Yes, I had 99 and was trying to represent AA or KK.Geez - it is not that tough.
+1
LOLOLOLOL...Do you understand that you got it in with the best hand? And are you saying that people should narrow your range down to simply AA when you make this play?Yes, AT is played badly here. But if he has been watching you donk off with any pair or two broadway, then it's not so bad. Especially with the odds at that point.But to call it a bluff when you had the best hand is kinda silly. PLUS you played it very badly. BBFIDTS
LOLOLOLOL...Do you understand that you got it in with the best hand? And are you saying that people should narrow your range down to simply AA when you make this play?Yes, AT is played badly here. But if he has been watching you donk off with any pair or two broadway, then it's not so bad. Especially with the odds at that point.But to call it a bluff when you had the best hand is kinda silly. PLUS you played it very badly. BBFIDTS
So I knew what he had when I made this play? I had him on aq or worse.I played it badly? What would you do, fold? That is weak, in a tourney where the blinds increase every 10 minutes.You know, I did play it badly, and here is why: You can't bluff a donkey. But it was still a bluff, sorry, I thought the dude had half a brain and would lay it down.
So I knew what he had when I made this play? I had him on aq or worse.I played it badly? What would you do, fold? That is weak, in a tourney where the blinds increase every 10 minutes.You know, I did play it badly, and here is why: You can't bluff a donkey. But it was still a bluff, sorry, I thought the dude had half a brain and would lay it down.
Quite precisely. 99 is good but not great.But, if you have him on a range of AQ, then you shoving is not a bluff. It's you getting in with the best hand. It's called a winning play.....except not in your case. This thread I believe is for when people get in with not even close to the winning hand. Your hand does not apply.......understand?
Dude...instead of going against what EVERY one of the bigger players is saying...absorb what they say.It.Was.Not.A.Bluff.
Full Tilt Poker Game #8501003428: Table RailHeaven (6 max) - $500/$1000 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:45:41 ET - 2008/10/15Seat 1: Gus Hansen ($199,747)Seat 2: BeepBeepImaJeep ($203,269.50)Seat 4: durrrr ($1,709,296)Seat 5: highwaystar ($1,337,000)Seat 6: Phil Ivey ($202,197)Gus Hansen posts the small blind of $500BeepBeepImaJeep posts the big blind of $1,000The button is in seat #6*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Blue Baboon [9h 7h]durrrr raises to $3,000highwaystar calls $3,000Phil Ivey calls $3,000Gus Hansen has 15 seconds left to actGus Hansen raises to $14,575BeepBeepImaJeep foldsdurrr calls $11,575highwaystar calls $11,575Phil Ivey folds.*** FLOP *** [5s Qd Th]Gus Hansen bets $35,000durrrr calls $35,000highwaystar raises to $145,000Gus Hansen has 15 seconds left to actGus Hansen foldsdurrr has 15 seconds left to actdurrrr raises to $400,000Gus Hansen has 15 seconds left to acthighwaystar has requested TIMEhighwaystar raises to $1,322,425 and is all-indurrrr : omgdurrr has 15 seconds left to actdurrr has requested TIMEdurrr foldshighwaystar shows [9h 7h] (Queen Ten High)highwaystar wins the pot ($878,729)durrrr: OMG*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $2,500 | Rake $0Seat 1: Gus Hansen (small blind) folded on the FlopSeat 2: BeepBeepImaJeep (big blind) folded before the FlopSeat 4: durrrr folded on the FlopSeat 5: highwaystar collected ($878,729) Seat 6: Phil Ivey (button) folded before the Flop
:D:4h:5c:D:3h:D
I think I need to put my whole bankroll in a 1k HU against Dario Minieri. Then I can show the whole world how to shove with 72o.
And then you can make another thread about that, too! AWESOME
loooooooooooooooool :club::ts:D
Quite precisely. 99 is good but not great.But, if you have him on a range of AQ, then you shoving is not a bluff. It's you getting in with the best hand. It's called a winning play.....except not in your case. This thread I believe is for when people get in with not even close to the winning hand. Your hand does not apply.......understand?
Ok, I will take your word for it. I don't think wanting a call from aq with 99 at that stage of a tourney is a winning play, it is a high risk play IMO.I will limit any future submissions in this thread to pushing with 72 off on the button after an EP raiser.
Ok, I will take your word for it. I don't think wanting a call from aq with 99 at that stage of a tourney is a winning play, it is a high risk play IMO.I will limit any future submissions in this thread to pushing with 72 off on the button after an EP raiser.
At a guess against an average I'd say you get called about 50% of the time and the other half the time you're about a 40% against his calling range. The fact he called w/AT shows he's terrible and shoving 99 there is ++++++EV and not a bluff in any way
At a guess against an average I'd say you get called about 50% of the time and the other half the time you're about a 40% against his calling range. The fact he called w/AT shows he's terrible and shoving 99 there is ++++++EV and not a bluff in any way
bird-on-no-bird-sign.jpg
bird-on-no-bird-sign.jpg
Depends on your style I guess. I got the vibe from DN's new book that getting into risky flips like this is totally overplaying a hand like 99 and leads to big variance in MTT placings. The goal is never to be allin unless you have AA, KK preflop, or the nuts at the end.
Depends on your style I guess. I got the vibe from DN's new book that getting into risky flips like this is totally overplaying a hand like 99 and leads to big variance in MTT placings. The goal is never to be allin unless you have AA, KK preflop, or the nuts at the end.
So I guess you obv failed?
bird-on-no-bird-sign.jpg
bird-on-no-bird-sign.jpg
That works for deep stack, slower moving tournaments.
So I guess you obv failed?
Completely, on a couple of levels.1. Risking all my chips on a flip when i could have let it go and maintained 5/6 of my stack.2. Tried semi-bluffing (sorry but in my mind I was representing AA or KK) a player without making any effort to determine if he would lay down aq or worse.But Highwaystar has a point that maybe I had no choice given the speed of the tourney and should have been looking to get it all in and be HOPING (which I definitely WAS NOT) for a call.The education continues.
You know, I did play it badly, and here is why: You can't bluff a donkey.
This is why it is not a bluff. Because of the fact that you can't bluff a donkey and he will call with worse.DUCY??????
This is why it is not a bluff. Because of the fact that you can't bluff a donkey and he will call with worse.DUCY??????
Um........because he will call with worse?Sorry, it is still just bad judgement in trying to bluff someone who it turns out had lifetime winnings of $3g or so. I shoulda had officialpokerrankings.com up and been doing some research on each player on the fly.So will this work for you: A ill-timed bluff? A misplaced bluff? A stupid attempt at bluffing?Anyways, onto the Niagara thread - this is tiring with little upside.