El Guapo & Randy Reed's Cooking Thread

Last night I made some burgers.I chopped up an onion, a few cloves of garlic, some fresh parsley, thyme and basil from the garden and added them to the meat. Then I made some bread crumbs and added two eggs and olive oil and mixed it all together. Once it was pretty mixed I added salt, pepper, paprika and a pinch of cumin and chili powder.I let this sit for a couple hours in the fridge. Grilled on medium heat, I over cooked them a bit, they were not pink inside, but still very moist.Had cheese, bacon, avocado, mustard, castsup, tomato, grilled onion and butter lettuce This morning I took some left over baked potato from last night and chopped it up to have some hash browns with bacon and eggs.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's the best way to microwave frozen chicken nuggets?

in a deep fryer.

Hey, Dutch. I’ve got nothing to add. Just saw you posted last and I always enjoy your posts. I’m in the process of buying a house and it has a gas range. Pretty stoked about it.

A couple cook book reviews of a couple books I picked up recently..20090504-ctb-apl-serious-barbecue.jpgSerious Barbeque Adam Perry Lang..So I'm a big fan of the sports guy, bill simmons, and listen to his pod cast fairly religiously. Out of the blue, away from his typical sports/pop culture guests, a couple months ago he had chef and Author Lang ( Who's worked in several french restaurants in NYC, is the "meat meister " for Mario Batale's vegas steak house, and just opened his own high end barbeque place in NYC "Daisy May's BBQ USA" ) , under the flimsy guise of "tail gating tips". But the real reason was just to talk barbeque. It was a great podcast, and he had lots of great tips that I'd never thought of, so I ordered his cook book. And man, this book is just packed with detailed barbeque recipes. Not just recipes either, but instructions about barbque in general, break downs of different grills, different styles, and in general this guy's philosophy about grilling. The book just blew my mind. I made some honey-BBQ glazed ribs for the 4th today, and they were out of site. the book is thick too. If you have an interest in BBQing, I think this book is just a must have.alinea.jpgAlinea by Grant Achatz Now this is not really a traditional cookbook. I went to barnes and noble, and flipped through this book, and immediately I recognized it as a Molecular Gastronomy Cookbook ( Alinea is a high end avant- garde restaurant in Chicago). I was excited about this, but I really only read the part of the extensive introductions, I didn't really read the recipe's carefully. I was just giddy that there was a Mo-Gas cook book, so I ordered it from amazon and waited eagarly for it. Well, I won't say this book was a disappointment ,because it has literally blown my mind. The recipes are just insane. But there's no way I can make even one recipe in the book. I just don't have anywhere close to the right chemicals, ingredients or equipment to make it. But it is just facinating reading it. The cooking is just so mind blowing, a fusion of technology and sheer creativity. So, in reality, for 95 percent of the people who buy this book, it's a coffee table book, not a useful cook book. But if you're a "foodie" who has an interest in the very cutting edge of modern cuisine, then you'll absolutely go ga-ga for this book.

I would love to pickup the bbq book but my apartment complex is absolutely nazi-esque in regards to not allowing grills and I would have to try one of the recipes immediately if I picked it up.

Last night I was trying to use some leftover and had some chicken from earlier in the week so I made 5 cheese quesedillas.I took some onion and bell pepper and sauteed them in a pan. Put about 6 small corn tortillas on a baking sheet with some olive oil. Grate up mozzarella, cheddar, pepper jack, and two types of gouda. Then I thinly sliced the already cooked chicken.I put the cheese down, the the chicken, followed by the onion and bell pepper, covered with another tortilla and drizzled some olive oil on top. Popped them into the oven for about 10 minutes.I shredded some butter lettuce and place the cut tortillas on the plate on top of the lettuce, put a dollop of sour cream on the top and some fresh tomatoes.They were really good for basically just using up what was in the fridge.

Serious Barbeque Adam Perry Lang..
I'm just starting to shop for a gas grill. I've had a little charcoal one for a while, and never owned a gas grill, but we'd like to grill more often and the charcoal is just too much work for small jobs. Any advice on what to look for? I'm looking in the $200-$600 range, so I don't need something top of the line, but I don't want a piece of crap either. I have looked around the Home Depot website a bit and it seems like they vary in terms of the BTUs... how much power do I need for regular use, is this really important? I'm not a pro, just want to grill some burgers every once in a while.

Someone has to have a good fish taco recipe. I miss fish tacos so bad here in Idaho and I want to make some. A hick Idahoan couldn't make a fish taco if they had to.

I like breaded fish tacos personally. I would probably take something like halibut or mahi mahi cut it in 1 inch squares flour, egg wash, breading, seasoning. Pan fry it for a few minutes until golden brown. Then I would put that in a fried (or not fried) corn tortilla with some cabbage, cilantro, lime juice and quick roasted tomatillos.

I'm just starting to shop for a gas grill. I've had a little charcoal one for a while, and never owned a gas grill, but we'd like to grill more often and the charcoal is just too much work for small jobs. Any advice on what to look for? I'm looking in the $200-$600 range, so I don't need something top of the line, but I don't want a piece of crap either. I have looked around the Home Depot website a bit and it seems like they vary in terms of the BTUs... how much power do I need for regular use, is this really important? I'm not a pro, just want to grill some burgers every once in a while.
I'm not sure about all that. The important things for me was having enough space, the fact that the grill itself is made of porcelean cast iron grills, which retain heat. I'd also suggest getting an electric starter, and it's nice and convenient to have at least one burner on it. You can go crazy and get a super high end grill, but from what you're describing you can get what you want in the 200-300 range. If you spend a little more, in the 500-600 range, you can get a killer weber that would do basically anything you wanted for personal use You wouldn't want to get a super high end grill unless you were using the grill for entertaining.
I like breaded fish tacos personally. I would probably take something like halibut or mahi mahi cut it in 1 inch squares flour, egg wash, breading, seasoning. Pan fry it for a few minutes until golden brown. Then I would put that in a fried (or not fried) corn tortilla with some cabbage, cilantro, lime juice and quick roasted tomatillos.
Please come to my house and make this for my lunch.Thank you.
I like bearded fish tacos personally. I would probably take something like halibut or mahi mahi cut it in 1 inch squares flour, egg wash, breading, seasoning. Pan fry it for a few minutes until golden brown. Then I would put that in a fried (or not fried) corn tortilla with some cabbage, cilantro, lime juice and quick roasted tomatillos.
FYP
  • 2 months later...
bet you wish you had gotten me for secret santa now, don't ya?
Yes. I also wish that I had not been an ******* and screwed up my (lack of) LG gift. 'tis one of my greatest regrets.edit: 'tis? That's...is that right?
Yes. I also wish that I had not been an ******* and screwed up my (lack of) LG gift. 'tis one of my greatest regrets.edit: 'tis? That's...is that right?
It's never too late, you know. Of course now you'd be paying for postage to the UK instead of to KS.
great blueprint for the fish taco, you can (should) alsoseason the flour fishcan sub panko for breadingmake a nice cilantro, chili, lime or lemon, sour cream to put on them too
great blueprint for the fish taco, you can (should) alsoseason the flour fishcan sub panko for breadingmake a nice cilantro, chili, lime or lemon, sour cream to put on them too
Based on your contributions to the what are you eating thread, I think you need to post some good recipes in here.Agree on the above too. Panko would probably be better actually.
Based on your contributions to the what are you eating thread, I think you need to post some good recipes in here.Agree on the above too. Panko would probably be better actually.
will do, been hella busy at work all summer so not much time, but fall is slow so i will get some in, don't want to sort through everything to see what has already been posted so please excuse any double ups, will get the first one in on thursday or friday

ok, checked this and the last page but didn't see anything, so:all the soup talk has made me decide that I want to make some soup, probably tomorrow night and I'd like some recommendations. the specifications of what I want are as follows: should be pretty quick to make as I'm doing it at night after work. don't want to stay up till 3 to eat soup. and also, I'd like it to be a pretty thick soup, like broccoli and cheese or potato soup thickness (broccoli and cheese would actually be a good reco, but not potato. not a big fan for some reason.) that's pretty much it, other than it has to have meat and preferably not seafood (not very wintry, which is what I'm going for here).anybody know anything good?

ok, checked this and the last page but didn't see anything, so:all the soup talk has made me decide that I want to make some soup, probably tomorrow night and I'd like some recommendations. the specifications of what I want are as follows: should be pretty quick to make as I'm doing it at night after work. don't want to stay up till 3 to eat soup. and also, I'd like it to be a pretty thick soup, like broccoli and cheese or potato soup thickness (broccoli and cheese would actually be a good reco, but not potato. not a big fan for some reason.) that's pretty much it, other than it has to have meat and preferably not seafood (not very wintry, which is what I'm going for here).anybody know anything good?
Well I would say if you are going to make a broc and cheese soup you will definately want to add a bit of cornflour to get it really thick. Also you'll find it hard to get it as cheesy tasting as the fake broc n cheeze soups you get at places like Goodcents because they use fakey cheese powder rather than real cheese. For instance, dumping in a bunch of grated cheddar won't give you a strong cheddar taste. So if you don't mind blue cheese, that's your best bet for getting a nice punch of cheese in the soup, but be careful with your amounts, add a bit at a time and keep tasting til you get your desired pungency.

good call on the corn flour. corn starch would work the same, no? I used to cook all the damn time, doing fairly fancy things actually, but then I got healthy sort of and I've forgotten a lot.oh, and also, for the recipe recommendations: no beans. I hate beans. mushy, nasty, gross ass beans.

good call on the corn flour. corn starch would work the same, no? I used to cook all the damn time, doing fairly fancy things actually, but then I got healthy sort of and I've forgotten a lot.oh, and also, for the recipe recommendations: no beans. I hate beans. mushy, nasty, gross ass beans.
Why not get a stew goin?