Palin Is Becoming An Embarrasement To Her Own Party

Man I go back and forth with her.First I just fell off my chair, absolutely HATED the pick...then after a bit, it seemed just brilliant. Now....??? She has been flogged mercilessly since the roll out, much of it unfair and sexist, and I think she has held up as well as could be expected, but still. I am beginning to have doubts again about her.And how ironic that he passed on Romney, with us in the midst of an economic crisis and Romney being a business man and all. Who saw any of this coming? Romney could have really helped give McCain some economic cred, he certainly would have been the stronger choice. Palin is talented, and has potential, but I agree, at least at this point,she does seem a bit overwhelmed and over her head. She was the Hillary move, the folksy mid America on the fence fly paper. It does just seems to be backfiring a bit. Thursday's debate will make or break this pick.I did read an interesting take on her this evening, an opinion that in light of all that is at stake, and as a defense against all the attacks, that she has now become a shell of her former self. That she is now being OVER managed and OVER handled and OVER prepared and that has resulted in her losing herself. The advice was to just knock it off already to all the Republicans pouring over her every move. Just stop it and go back to letting Palin be Palin.Not sure if that will be enough, but I agree that her genuineness seems more jaded lately, with the qualities of a Washington politician. That was NOT what endeared her initially to those who liked her.I agree. Time to just let her go back to being herself and see if that is good enough. If not, then so be it.Thursday ......

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would Romney have "worried" the base, he's as conservative as Palin.. unless you mean his religion would have worried the base. You should be less worried about the base, which will vote GOP anyway, and more worried about the swing voting moderates who decide elections that cringe everytome Palin speaks.
Palin was chosen for 2 reasons only. 1 - She's a creationist2 - She's a sheThe Republican's chose her to motivate the religous right fruit-loops and to attract the female Clinton voters who were disenchanted with Obama.On the surface it looks good - if your heads up your ass.There will be some gains in getting the creationists out of their houses in November, but I think a lot of women will feel patronised by the transparent suggestion that they would vote for the team with a woman in it because they are a woman. This will backfire. Obama had a 7 point lead with female voters at the beginning of Sept. Now that's nearly doubledFurthermore as Palin's credentials, or more correctly the lack thereof, come to light it becomes more and more obvious that the choice is not for improving the 'leadership team' but a desperate ploy for votes. Independant voters tend to be politcally savvy and these people are seeing McCain saying he is willing to sacrifice his integrity and the office of VP (which with his age, means risking the country's leadership in the eyes of many) for political gain. It smacks of desperation.Add to that his 'postponing the campaign' ploy and McCains looking like a bumbling rank amatuer.I would've liked to see you guys put in a good Republican government to 'fix the mess' but a McCain/Palin ticket is a fricken nightmare and would be 4 more years of incompetent leadership. The thought of Palin also being your president should the worst happen to McCain scares the hell out of a lot of reasonable people.At least Obama chose a potential VP who can actually be a sounding board should he get the job. The fact that he is also willing to choose a running mate that has different views on some matters speaks volumes - all of it good.If you want to build a good leadership team you want your 2IC to contribute and add value, not be a circus attraction that wins votes then gets to look pretty sitting in the corner for 4 years.
And how ironic that he passed on Romney, with us in the midst of an economic crisis and Romney being a business man and all. Who saw any of this coming? Romney could have really helped give McCain some economic cred, he certainly would have been the stronger choice.
More practically, Romney may have helped McCain carry Mass, which would have been a Coup for McCain.
Palin is talented, and has potential, but I agree, at least at this point,she does seem a bit overwhelmed and over her head.
I'll tell you something.. being Folksy and genuine isn't exactly a virtue in VP candidates. i would think you would rather have competence and experience with national campaigning.. experience with the media is vitally important. VP's rarely win an election, but gaffs from them can lose an election, that's for sure ( ask Senior Bush if he'd like to have a Quayle do-over). You also would like to have the candidate give you a practical edge in winning a swing state. Basically, the VP's only job is to attack the opposing party's main candidate, and not embarrass themselves in the media. In many ways, I think that Rudy would have been the superior pick, as having a media savvy and somewhat mean spirited attack dog like him would have been useful. Worrying about alienating the base if overrated. I remember there's a great scene from Nixon, where a bunch of shady business men oil men types meet with him, and are angry that Nixon isn't in their pocket enough He told them to stuff it, what were they going to do, support McGovern? That's what I think about all this hand wringing about getting a "real" conservative to be the VP candidate. What is the base going to do, vote for Obama? Once McCain gets the nomination, that's it, their power is gone.. they know they'd rather have McCain picking Supreme Court Justices, McCain knows it, we all know it.. I don't understand why he doesn't play a little harder ball with them.
Thursday's debate will make or break this pic
I agree with this completely.
Or because she reflects the core values of the GOP and galvanized a party that wasnt going to turn out. Either you underestimate her or JSM overestimated her. We'll find out Thursday.
I don't understand this. As a smart guy, do you really need to see how she "preforms" in a debate to determine whether she's worthy to be the potential president or not. Has it really become that much of a contest? This isn't American Idol. "Let's see what his song next week is and see if he can redeem himself." If she debates well, is she then qualified? If she doesn't, is she certainly not qualified?The only reason I really care about the debate is as a spectacle that I can hopefully laugh about later and see spoofed on SNL.
I don't understand this. As a smart guy, do you really need to see how she "preforms" in a debate to determine whether she's worthy to be the potential president or not. Has it really become that much of a contest? This isn't American Idol. "Let's see what his song next week is and see if he can redeem himself." If she debates well, is she then qualified? If she doesn't, is she certainly not qualified?The only reason I really care about the debate is as a spectacle that I can hopefully laugh about later and see spoofed on SNL.
Shes not running for POTUS.

It's not going to be about the debates, folks. It's going to be about the economy. And while Palin may not hurt McCain in that arena, she sure doesn't help him. Romney would have been a much better pick. Or if he wanted a woman on the ticket then I still say that Hutchinson would have been probably the best choice. This goes to McCain's judgement and that's different from political skill. He's shown lately with hi erratic behaviour that people have reason to be concerned about him having his finger on the button.

It's not going to be about the debates, folks. It's going to be about the economy. And while Palin may not hurt McCain in that arena, she sure doesn't help him. Romney would have been a much better pick. Or if he wanted a woman on the ticket then I still say that Hutchinson would have been probably the best choice. This goes to McCain's judgement and that's different from political skill. He's shown lately with hi erratic behaviour that people have reason to be concerned about him having his finger on the button.
This is your favorite phrase lately and illustratges the shallowness of your thinking.

You're saying we no longer have nukes? And I admit I've got some of that 50's mentality left still as long as there are nukes around. I still remember the "nuke drills" from my grade school days. Regardless, I guess it's a euphemism for having the ability to deploy troops and hit other countries with missiles (read Iran) if he has one of his erratic days. Bringing on Armeggedon isn't exactly something I want to see in my lifetime.

You're saying we no longer have nukes? And I admit I've got some of that 50's mentality left still as long as there are nukes around. I still remember the "nuke drills" from my grade school days. Regardless, I guess it's a euphemism for having the ability to deploy troops and hit other countries with missiles (read Iran) if he has one of his erratic days. Bringing on Armeggedon isn't exactly something I want to see in my lifetime.
Of course we still have "nukes". Which are nuclear weapons possessed by the United States of America and up to 8 other Countries.To use the term "Finger on the Button" as you have is pure Fear Mongering Demagoguery and if you SERIOUSLY believe that on a "erratic day" McCain is simply going to open some mysterious black suitcase, and press a Big Red Button and Nuke Iran - well then you are beyond reasonable.
Statements like that are why youve lost any credibility you ever had.
This goes to McCain's judgement and that's different from political skill. He's shown lately with hi erratic behaviour that people have reason to be concerned about him having his finger on the button.
And what about Obama's Judgement?ACORN,WIlliam Ayers - TerroristRev Wright - Race BaiterFranklin Raines - cheif financial strategist to obama
Statements like that are why youve lost any credibility you ever had.
You lost any credibility with me long ago Cope. You don't even have the ability to see the present financial crisis except with Republican talking points. And you talk about me. At least I have tried to see things from other points of view. You never do.
This is not really a response to LLY's point. Do you really need a debate to find out whether she's competent to be VP? Is there something about her skill that is not clear at this point?
SHe has had fewer gaffes than Biden or Obama on the stump or in interviews... but somehow you want to discredit her on her few...seems like a double standard you are applying
SHe has had fewer gaffes than Biden or Obama on the stump or in interviews... but somehow you want to discredit her on her few...seems like a double standard you are applying
Again, I'm not concerned with "gaffes". A gaffe is a big "woops!". That's not what is happening with her. We're not dealing with an embarrassing slip of the tongue or a momentary breach of strategy. My issue is that she appears to be entirely incompetent. I don't think I have ever heard a politician struggle so hard to answer simple questions. This is not a "gaffe" it's a basic deficiency in knowledge, analytical thought, and communication skill. Counting gaffes is not the only way to understand someone.
You lost any credibility with me long ago Cope. You don't even have the ability to see the present financial crisis except with Republican talking points. And you talk about me. At least I have tried to see things from other points of view. You never do.
At least I have the mental capacity to weigh the issues and if they happen to agree with "talking points" (that I dont listen to) sobeit. You are absolutely wrong that I dont try to see other points of view. If they are well thought out and logical, even if they are just opinions, they deserve respect. Yours arent and dont.
At least I have the mental capacity to weigh the issues and if they happen to agree with "talking points" (that I dont listen to) sobeit. You are absolutely wrong that I dont try to see other points of view. If they are well thought out and logical, even if they are just opinions, they deserve respect. Yours arent and dont.
Mainly because they don't agree with your vision of how the world should be. You'll never make a politician because politicians can see political realities without the spin of their party. That's why McCain stopped talking about his experience and started making his campaign about Change. It's also why McCain picked Palin. It was a pretty crafty political move on his part. He didn't do so well with the flying trip to Washington to fix the bailout. He took a poltical risk there and lost. And that's the problem, I have with him. He seems to be far too willing to go all-in with his chips where maybe a pot-size bet would do better. I've never said that McCain wasn't a crafty politician. He has been for a long time which is why he's still in the Senate. I'm just saying that some of his behaviour concerns me as being more politically motivated instead of being about "Country First". There are many politicians that do politically motivated things instead of what's best for the country. But usually it's in the background, not in your face. Obama is a very savvy politician and did a remarkable job to get where he is. But you don't really see the mechanics behind his success. You see him playing a lot of small pots and building up his chip stack, not going all-in in a move that smells of desperation.
Mainly because they don't agree with your vision of how the world should be. You dont read very well. I respect many peoples opinions that I totally disagree with. hblask (except for his blind spot) , vbnaut, LLY. Their opinions are well thought out and consistent and dont reflect an inability to sort through the issues. You'll never make a politician because politicians can see political realities without the spin of their party. That's why McCain stopped talking about his experience and started making his campaign about Change. He didnt stop talking about experience, he does in every speech, every debate. He has taken on change because its an obvious weakness in BHOs position...change for its own sake isnt the goal. change to something better is. Blowbama doesnt have the ability to change things for the better. It's also why McCain picked Palin. It was a pretty crafty political move on his part. He didn't do so well with the flying trip to Washington to fix the bailout. He took a poltical risk there and lost. Only in liberals eyes. He did the right thing and by the time its over will have succeeded in demonstrating the leadership that Obama severlely lacks. And that's the problem, I have with him. He seems to be far too willing to go all-in with his chips where maybe a pot-size bet would do better. I've never said that McCain wasn't a crafty politician. He has been for a long time which is why he's still in the Senate. I'm just saying that some of his behaviour concerns me as being more politically motivated instead of being about "Country First". There are many politicians that do politically motivated things instead of what's best for the country. Yes, and your boy is the poster child for it. But usually it's in the background, not in your face. Obama is a very savvy politician and did a remarkable job to get where he is. But you don't really see the mechanics behind his success. You see him playing a lot of small pots and building up his chip stack, not going all-in in a move that smells of desperation. You cant play small ball without deep stacks. Once it gets to HU play youre coming in second. (And if your poker game is weak as your political game, whats your screen name?)
This is not really a response to LLY's point. Do you really need a debate to find out whether she's competent to be VP? Is there something about her skill that is not clear at this point?
I don't think that is what he is saying. I think a lot of fence sitters are waiting for that debate. If she botches it, she will possibly lose a significant % of the moderate vote that it could make a difference.At the same time, I don't think she needs to hit a home run.
I don't think that is what he is saying. I think a lot of fence sitters are waiting for that debate. If she botches it, she will possibly lose a significant % of the moderate vote that it could make a difference.At the same time, I don't think she needs to hit a home run.
The expectations for her are so low it's highly unlikely the debate will be a train wreck for Palin. She may even give McCain a little bump after the debate.I really hope Biden doesn't blow it by patronizing Palin and annoying a lot of female voters.