Discomfort With The Bailout

line item veto FTW
just some history on the line item vetoPresidents have repeatedly asked Congress to give them a line item veto power. According to Louis Fisher in The Politics of Shared Power, Ronald Reagan said to Congress in his 1986 State of the Union address, "Tonight I ask you to give me what forty-three governors have: Give me a line-item veto this year. Give me the authority to veto waste, and I'll take the responsibility, I'll make the cuts, I'll take the heat." Bill Clinton echoed the request in his State of the Union address in 1995.The President was briefly granted this power by the Line Item Veto Act of 1996, passed by Congress in order to control "pork barrel spending" that favors a particular region rather than the nation as a whole. The line-item veto was used 11 times to strike 82 items from the federal budget by President Bill Clinton. [3][4]However, U.S. District Court Judge Thomas F. Hogan ruled on February 12, 1998, that unilateral amendment or repeal of only parts of statutes violated the U.S. ConstitutionA constitutional amendment to give the President line item veto power has been considered periodically since the Court ruled the 1996 act unconstitutional. Some scholars, including Louis Fisher, believe the line item veto would give presidents too much power over government spending compared with the power of Congress
  • Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two things that I am pissed about with the bill. Fienstein stuck in a $4 billion ear mark for mental health and the repubs stuck something in about rural schools. I don't get it, I need to review how bills are created, because I don't understand how you can litter an economic bill with medical and school stuff.
the same way you sneak provisions banning online poker/gambling into a bill on national security (or whatever it was) thereby ensuring the online gambling ban passes (because who would vote against the other stuff in the bill...such a dirty tactic). The practice stinks and both parties are guilty of it.
just some history on the line item vetoPresidents have repeatedly asked Congress to give them a line item veto power. According to Louis Fisher in The Politics of Shared Power, Ronald Reagan said to Congress in his 1986 State of the Union address, "Tonight I ask you to give me what forty-three governors have: Give me a line-item veto this year. Give me the authority to veto waste, and I'll take the responsibility, I'll make the cuts, I'll take the heat." Bill Clinton echoed the request in his State of the Union address in 1995.The President was briefly granted this power by the Line Item Veto Act of 1996, passed by Congress in order to control "pork barrel spending" that favors a particular region rather than the nation as a whole. The line-item veto was used 11 times to strike 82 items from the federal budget by President Bill Clinton. [3][4]However, U.S. District Court Judge Thomas F. Hogan ruled on February 12, 1998, that unilateral amendment or repeal of only parts of statutes violated the U.S. ConstitutionA constitutional amendment to give the President line item veto power has been considered periodically since the Court ruled the 1996 act unconstitutional. Some scholars, including Louis Fisher, believe the line item veto would give presidents too much power over government spending compared with the power of Congress
A constitutional amendment with a modified line item veto is the only way to reduce spending a serious amount, imo. Im not particularly concerned about executive power, but there should be some way of balancing things for those who are. Eg. any line item thats vetoed could be raised as a separate bill that could not be vetoed if it received a 60% super majority instead of the full 2/3 that would be required if he vetoed the entire bhill. That would keep the POTUS from churning back bills that have wide support, and would keep bills from getting to him that dont have bi-lateral support for the spending provisions.

Sometimes I think I'm wasting my life away reading the news when people care what Michael Moore thinks about the bail out. But w/e, I'll share with you guys in the bail out thread. /sigh, do with it what you will :club: His ignorance is outstanding, but it does make me curious how everyone on FCP would respond to it(the shortened version)HERE'S HOW TO FIX THE WALL STREET MESS ... FROM MICHAEL MOORE1. APPOINT A SPECIAL PROSECUTOR TO CRIMINALLY INDICT ANYONE ON WALL STREET WHO KNOWINGLY CONTRIBUTED TO THIS COLLAPSE.2. THE RICH MUST PAY FOR THEIR OWN BAILOUT.3. BAIL OUT THE PEOPLE LOSING THEIR HOMES, NOT THE PEOPLE WHO WILL BUILD AN EIGHTH HOME,4. IF YOUR BANK OR COMPANY GETS ANY OF OUR MONEY IN A "BAILOUT," THEN WE OWN YOU.5. ALL REGULATIONS MUST BE RESTORED. THE REAGAN REVOLUTION IS DEAD.6. IF IT'S TOO BIG TO FAIL, THEN THAT MEANS IT'S TOO BIG TO EXIST.7. NO EXECUTIVE SHOULD BE PAID MORE THAN 40 TIMES THEIR AVERAGE EMPLOYEE, AND NO EXECUTIVE SHOULD RECEIVE ANY KIND OF "PARACHUTE" OTHER THAN THE VERY GENEROUS SALARY HE OR SHE MADE WHILE WORKING FOR THE COMPANY.8. STRENGTHEN THE FDIC AND MAKE IT A MODEL FOR PROTECTING NOT ONLY PEOPLE'S SAVINGS, BUT ALSO THEIR PENSIONS AND THEIR HOMES.9. EVERYBODY NEEDS TO TAKE A DEEP BREATH, CALM DOWN, AND NOT LET FEAR RULE THE DAY. 10. CREATE A NATIONAL BANK, A "PEOPLE'S BANK."

Sometimes I think I'm wasting my life away reading the news when people care what Michael Moore thinks about the bail out. But w/e, I'll share with you guys in the bail out thread. /sigh, do with it what you will :club: His ignorance is outstanding, but it does make me curious how everyone on FCP would respond to it(the shortened version)HERE'S HOW TO FIX THE WALL STREET MESS ... FROM MICHAEL MOORE1. APPOINT A SPECIAL PROSECUTOR TO CRIMINALLY INDICT ANYONE ON WALL STREET WHO KNOWINGLY CONTRIBUTED TO THIS COLLAPSE. Dumb2. THE RICH MUST PAY FOR THEIR OWN BAILOUT. Almost Agree3. BAIL OUT THE PEOPLE LOSING THEIR HOMES, NOT THE PEOPLE WHO WILL BUILD AN EIGHTH HOME,Almost Agree4. IF YOUR BANK OR COMPANY GETS ANY OF OUR MONEY IN A "BAILOUT," THEN WE OWN YOU.Dumb5. ALL REGULATIONS MUST BE RESTORED. THE REAGAN REVOLUTION IS DEAD.Dumb6. IF IT'S TOO BIG TO FAIL, THEN THAT MEANS IT'S TOO BIG TO EXIST.Dumb7. NO EXECUTIVE SHOULD BE PAID MORE THAN 40 TIMES THEIR AVERAGE EMPLOYEE, AND NO EXECUTIVE SHOULD RECEIVE ANY KIND OF "PARACHUTE" OTHER THAN THE VERY GENEROUS SALARY HE OR SHE MADE WHILE WORKING FOR THE COMPANY. Agree8. STRENGTHEN THE FDIC AND MAKE IT A MODEL FOR PROTECTING NOT ONLY PEOPLE'S SAVINGS, BUT ALSO THEIR PENSIONS AND THEIR HOMES. don't know enough about the FDIC to comment9. EVERYBODY NEEDS TO TAKE A DEEP BREATH, CALM DOWN, AND NOT LET FEAR RULE THE DAY. Agree10. CREATE A NATIONAL BANK, A "PEOPLE'S BANK." Dumb
apparently BOR cut Barney Frank a new ahole tonight? Anyone see it?
nope. Frank is vulnerable right now I am sure BOR could have had his way.For me, Frank gets a pass because he is one of the few members of congress willing to stand up and support a different (an incredibly more sensible) drug policy.Although when Barney talks I want to mute the TV. His voice is so grating.
Thanks...my wife DVRd it so ill watch it on the real screen. Did you watch it? What did you think?
BOR and BF yelling at each other. It was stupid and did nothing.The problem with O'reilly is, even if he is correct on something he lets his ego and ranting cloud it. Basically it was white noise.
nope. Frank is vulnerable right now I am sure BOR could have had his way.For me, Frank gets a pass because he is one of the few members of congress willing to stand up and support a different (an incredibly more sensible) drug policy.Although when Barney talks I want to mute the TV. His voice is so grating.
It was hard to listen to both of them.BOR made it clear that he wasn't interested in talking.I'm shocked that Frank sat there the whole time and tried to make something out of it.The whole interview was completely stupid and pointless.
It was hard to listen to both of them.BOR made it clear that he wasn't interested in talking.I'm shocked that Frank sat there the whole time and tried to make something out of it.The whole interview was completely stupid and pointless.
It was a great interview. He called him on everything he should have been called on. Frank tried to put the blame on everyone else and his only response was "i didnt use the word swell".

I thought BOR was an ass....I would have preferred a civil conversation...screaming at him made him look like a moron imoBarney Frank is a idiot too,

I thought BOR was an ass....I would have preferred a civil conversation...screaming at him made him look like a moron imoBarney Frank is a idiot too,
I dont mind passion in calling a liar a liar. I wish he had shown that side to Obama more. And calling him dumb is not a move thats going to promote civility.
I dont mind passion in calling a liar a liar. I wish he had shown that side to Obama more. And calling him dumb is not a move thats going to promote civility.
ya, because civility has anything to do with the established goals of o'reilly's show. he is the most successful troll in the history of mankind.ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point. hitler might have been a more successful troll.
Anyone who is dumb enough to appear on Bill O'Reily deserve what they get. It's not like his agenda and interview technique are some big surprise.
Nonsense. did you watch the Obama interview? That is far more typical of him, except when he's confronting bald faced liars.Hmmmm...ok....except when he's confronting white bald faced liars.
Nonsense. did you watch the Obama interview? That is far more typical of him, except when he's confronting bald faced liars.Hmmmm...ok....except when he's confronting white bald faced liars.
you know he would never see a presidential candidate again if he was unable to contain his natural instincts with Obama. he has a long, well-documented history of being an ******* with a volcanic personality. one does not need to be a liar to get that treatment from him... merely disagreeing is more than enough. my favorite thing to watch is when he invites an expert experienced with whatever is up for discussion, then dismisses them offhand with no supporting evidence whatsoever, occasionally insulting them if they object to the treatment. an example of this that comes to mind was an ep a while ago discussing teenage prostitution in which a counselor and former teen prostitute (iirc) repeatedly received the standard bill technique. no, I'm not referring to the loofah. face it, o'reilly is the DEFINITION of a troll, and a damn good one at that.
Any one watching Pelosi speak now>?
I'm listening to her. But she's never been very impressive to me and has become less so since becoming Speaker. I'll never forgive whoever becomes president and vp if they both die on the job. The last thing I want to see is a Pelosi presidency.