Why do people keep saying this. Jordan never lost did he?
Jordan never ever ever would have let his team get embarrassed like that. Taking shots at Kobe because they lost to a team that was better than them is unfair.Taking shots at him for the Lakers getting blown out of the building in an NBA Finals Game 6 is pretty valid imo. That was brutal to watch....you could just see them give up in the 2nd quarter. The Jordan-Kobe debate is over unless the Lakers rip off 3 titles in the next 5 years. (which, I think is a distinct possibility assuming Bynum is ok).I wonder if the Celtics have the legs to make another run next year. You have to think PJ Brown and Sam Cassell will retire (not that Cassell leaving is a loss). Ray Allen is nearing the end. If Posey stays another year that would be huge. I think the Celts have one more really great year in them.edit: 7-of-22 overall, 3-of-9 from three-point range, three rebounds, one assist, four turnovers......thats Kobe's line from Game 6. That is brutal. Just terrrrrrr-ibullllll as Bill Walton would say. Especially the assist to turnover stuff.
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I made a good decision by not watching the game then huh? :)The Jordan/Kobe nonsense seems to take a life of it's own on. I can't figure out who is arguing that Kobe is on the same level as Jordan? I know people speculate in the media whenever Kobe is playing well, but I don't think there are many people that actually believe that. Kobe deserves to be criticized for playing like shit in the series, but some people's posts are way off base and come off as ignorant. Yes Bulls fans, Jordan was the best player of all time. He's retired now though. I would spend less time thinking about Kobe and how he compares to MJ, and more time on your current team and how you are going to use that #1 pick. Celtics fans can crow all they want, but the Lakers (as soft and flawed as they were) would have most likely beaten every other team in the NBA quite easily (Detroit? Not sure. After watching this series though, I would have thought Utah/San ANtonio would have beat them too). With Bynum coming back, Lakers fans can be optimistic that they will be back in the same place next year, and I know that is a lot better outlook then most fans have. I'm happy to be a fan of an organization that so many people hate; it means they are doing something right, because no one hates losers. That being said, SOFT SOFT SOFT SOFT SOFT SOFT SOFT GFY GASOL SOFT SOFT SOFT GFY LAMAR SOFT SOFT SOFT GG CELTICS, WP, NH...Best team from start to finish and that is obvious now.

I think I made a good decision by not watching the game then huh? :)The Jordan/Kobe nonsense seems to take a life of it's own on. I can't figure out who is arguing that Kobe is on the same level as Jordan? I know people speculate in the media whenever Kobe is playing well, but I don't think there are many people that actually believe that. Kobe deserves to be criticized for playing like shit in the series, but some people's posts are way off base and come off as ignorant. Yes Bulls fans, Jordan was the best player of all time. He's retired now though. I would spend less time thinking about Kobe and how he compares to MJ, and more time on your current team and how you are going to use that #1 pick. Celtics fans can crow all they want, but the Lakers (as soft and flawed as they were) would have most likely beaten every other team in the NBA quite easily (Detroit? Not sure. After watching this series though, I would have thought Utah/San ANtonio would have beat them too). With Bynum coming back, Lakers fans can be optimistic that they will be back in the same place next year, and I know that is a lot better outlook then most fans have. I'm happy to be a fan of an organization that so many people hate; it means they are doing something right, because no one hates losers. That being said, SOFT SOFT SOFT SOFT SOFT SOFT SOFT GFY GASOL SOFT SOFT SOFT GFY LAMAR SOFT SOFT SOFT GG CELTICS, WP, NH...Best team from start to finish and that is obvious now.
You know how Brad Pitt was the guy Ed Norton wanted to be in Fight Club. Well you're my Brad Pitt when it comes to posting in online forums. You say what I mean and attempt to say, but way better. It feels like I should say, no homo.
hmm...I dunno. if we were talking about baseball then I'd be more likely to agree. I don't even get coaching in baseball. I feel like it could just be a bunch of shrinks and mathematicians. pitcher throw, hitter hit. hitter hit, now run. ball fly, catch ball.now I'm not saying basketball is anywhere near complex as sayyy NFL. but I definitely think it makes a difference.if you could just randomly buy teams then shouldn't the Knicks have made the playoffs since Ewing left? if star players are all that matter then how do you explain Utah with Sloan post-stockton/malone? it was never the drop-off like it was in Chicago.coaching to me is an edge. hate to be a dungeon and dragons geek but imagine Phil Jackson as a +10. If Chicago was 100 and the next best team was a 50 then sure, pee-wee herman could be the coach. No coach is gonna give their team a +60 edge. How much better the Chicago players were from every other team is debatable.Also, Jordan is legendary because of the championships. sooo....hypothetically, if Phil helped the team then Phil is also part of Jordan's status. but let's forget about the Bulls for a moment. let's look at the 3-peat Lakers. Phil himself admitted that the Bulls never had to be told to work hard. they just did it. Shaq didn't win any rings with Penny. Shaq and Kobe played together in LA from '96-'98...they didn't even win a division title until Phil got there in '99. then they won 3 championships from 2000-2002. Shaq and Phil leave. LA misses playoffs. Phil returns...LA back in the playoffs. ALL LUCK? cmon...you have to be good to be lucky.
Here's the thing. The Celtics just won a championship, with a coach that was considered about the worst in the league last season. You never see a "great" coach win championships with players who are considered the worst. I'm not saying coaches do nothing. But I don't think any of them do that much. Many Consider Larry Brown the best coach in the NBA during this era. But he has only 1 championship, and he had a miserable single season with the Knicks. Was it because he suddenly forgot how to coach when he got to New York? Or is it because they have terrible talent that goes terribly togetherWith a hard salaray cap, I don't really know what point you're trying to make about the knicks, btw. Spending a bunch of money really isn't an option. I think a great GM is more important than a great coach. Of course, some GM decisions are no brainers, like drafting Lebron, some, like Drafting Kobe, aren't' as obvious. Being able to sign Shaq, trade for Shaq ( or KG/Allen), or being able to build a team like the Spurs or Detriot. It's the GM that correctly assesses the talent, head and heart of a player, and how well his players can play together. If you have a bad gm ( Isiah comes to mind... so does McCale) you can submarine your franchise for years to come. Mitch Kupchek had more to do with the lakers success this season than Phil Jackson did. Without Gasol and with Bynum's injury, the Lakers would have been 1 and done once again.

anyone who praises Doc rivers had better acknowledge the assistant coach (tom thibadeou?) who installed that defense. He was doing as much coaching as Doc during the games. Maybe more.

anyone who praises Doc rivers had better acknowledge the assistant coach (tom thibadeou?) who installed that defense. He was doing as much coaching as Doc during the games. Maybe more.
I will do you one better. Doc Rivers is still a mediocre coach at best who rode the coattails of Danny Ainge's incredible team building (not just getting Garnett and Allen but also picking up the right role players like House, PJ Brown and especially Posey) AND Tom Ts incredible D.
I will do you one better. Doc Rivers is still a mediocre coach at best who rode the coattails of Danny Ainge's incredible team building (not just getting Garnett and Allen but also picking up the right role players like House, PJ Brown and especially Posey) AND Tom Ts incredible D.
I don't think it's fair to say he's a mediocre coach. Sure, he had 3 all-stars this year compared to a miserable team last year, but in the games I saw this year, he seemed to make the correct adjustments, personnel changes, etc. that ended up affecting the game in a positive way for them when many of the opposing coaches didn't. In his sound bytes, he also seems to be a hell of a motivator, which is what I think 50% of coaching in the NBA is anyways. I'm not saying he's the next great coach, but I think he's definately worthy of some praise and recognition as a top tier coach in the league right now.
I don't think it's fair to say he's a mediocre coach. Sure, he had 3 all-stars this year compared to a miserable team last year, but in the games I saw this year, he seemed to make the correct adjustments, personnel changes, etc. that ended up affecting the game in a positive way for them when many of the opposing coaches didn't. In his sound bytes, he also seems to be a hell of a motivator, which is what I think 50% of coaching in the NBA is anyways. I'm not saying he's the next great coach, but I think he's definately worthy of some praise and recognition as a top tier coach in the league right now.
I will agree that he is an excellent motivator. However, he almost blew the series against Atlanta and Cleveland by making numerous mistakes. In fairness, he was much much better in the last two series. Maybe he just is a slow learner with lots of potential.How the Celtics do next year (they should make the NBA Finals again at a minimum unless something changes drastically in the East) will be very telling.
I will agree that he is an excellent motivator. However, he almost blew the series against Atlanta and Cleveland by making numerous mistakes. In fairness, he was much much better in the last two series. Maybe he just is a slow learner with lots of potential.How the Celtics do next year (they should make the NBA Finals again at a minimum unless something changes drastically in the East) will be very telling.
Meh, I thought the early East series were more about matchups than coaching. There were alot more athletes on the floor to outrun Boston's top-notch 1/2 court D....but I digress.

Say what you will about Bill Simmons, he's absolutely at his best when he's capturing the joy of being a fan ( or the torment when something goes horribly wrong). His piece today was outstanding.

Say what you will about Bill Simmons, he's absolutely at his best when he's capturing the joy of being a fan ( or the torment when something goes horribly wrong). His piece today was outstanding.
qft.
I wonder if the Celtics have the legs to make another run next year. You have to think PJ Brown and Sam Cassell will retire (not that Cassell leaving is a loss). Ray Allen is nearing the end. If Posey stays another year that would be huge. I think the Celts have one more really great year in them.
the more interesting question is will the Celtics become the land of opportunity for near retirement all-stars. I'm thinking similar to how Malone and Payton went to LA. who's out there that just wants a ring and would play for crappy pay?Could Nash or Kidd be an option at PG? Kidd's image is certainly getting there. Nash should still have 1-2 excellent seasons in him before desperation sets in.Could Iverson's ego handle it?? He wants a ring but then again, he wants everything.Can't really think of forwards or centers who fit the billing (maybe Hill or McDyss? do they count?)
With a hard salaray cap, I don't really know what point you're trying to make about the knicks, btw.
No more long debate otherwise I'm going to say the same things again.1. The NBA has a "soft" salary cap. 2. Isiah Thomas must be the most charismatic man on earth. I don't know how he keeps finding jobs.3. Great coaches maximize talent. Obviously you can't turn zero talent into a champship team because your players cannot execute the Xs and Os. I think if Isiah led the Celtics they wouldn't have even made the finals.

Just something about Doc. From what I've seen, he is one of the best coaches out of a time-out in the game right now. The plays he draws from the inbounds work alarmingly well and have definately led to a few wins. The other interesting stat. Coaches that have won rings in the last 21 years.Phil JacksonPat RileyGregg PopovichRudy TomjanovichChuck DalyLarry BrownGlenn 'Doc' RiversSo it shows that he must be doing 'something' right.