I was reading the Art of War by Sun Tzu, a doctrine regarding waging and winning wars which I believe is still being taught at West Point. (6th Century, BC)Anyway, I came across these little gems and thought it interesting how easily they translate into poker wisdom.17. According as circumstances are favorable, one should modify one's plans.18. All warfare is based on deception.19. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.20. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.21. If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him.22. If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.23. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them.24. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

ummmmmmm, you should right a book on these similarities51T84HVJBEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
I've read The Art of War, and I've read that book. The Apostolico book was decent, but nothing new if you have previously read Sun-Tzu's book...or if you know anything about tournament poker. Still, not a bad read for anyone unfamiliar with either concept.
I was reading the Art of War by Sun Tzu, a doctrine regarding waging and winning wars which I believe is still being taught at West Point. (6th Century, BC)Anyway, I came across these little gems and thought it interesting how easily they translate into poker wisdom.17. According as circumstances are favorable, one should modify one's plans.18. All warfare is based on deception.19. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.20. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.21. If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him.22. If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.23. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them.24. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
And if you perfect these techniques, you become Phil Hellmuth
And if you perfect these techniques, you become Phil Hellmuth
BUT WHAT WILL I DO IF HE HITS ANOTHER 10 AND SUCKS OUT AGAIN?
How about this one?"To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, But the opportunity of defeating the enemy, is provided by the enemy himself."

The Outsiders was easily in the top five hundred books I had ever read before I finished primary school.- "Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they do not expect it." - Sun Tzu- "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang (3rd Century)- "Be careful in the beginning, and you have no trouble in the end." - I ChingThe Art of War is a little bit like Proverbs, just geared towards battle. Like any conflict resolution strategy it can be profitably applied to any competitive endeavour.

The Outsiders was easily in the top five hundred books I had ever read before I finished primary school.- "Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they do not expect it." - Sun Tzu- "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang (3rd Century)- "Be careful in the beginning, and you have no trouble in the end." - I ChingThe Art of War is a little bit like Proverbs, just geared towards battle. Like any conflict resolution strategy it can be profitably applied to any competitive endeavour.
Every book that I've ever read is in my top 500.