The Steven Stamkos Sweepstakes

I could see a possible draw to Toronto but have they said they are planning on even trying to give him a contract?
I doubt there is any chance that the Leafs would offer a contract to Stamkos..But stranger things have happened..
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget Stamkos actually has to agree to and sign the offer sheet. It's not like he's automatically gone when the clock strikes noon on Friday. It all depends what they both want. I would be completely shocked if Stamkos left Tampa. Plus, Tampa will match anything anyways, and I doubt Stamkos puts his team in that tough of a spot, overpaying slightly just to get an extra million a year? I don't know. I don't see it. Even if they don't get something worked out by the 1st, I don't see them going their separate ways, and I don't see him signing an offer sheet elsewhere. Same goes with Doughty and to a lesser extent, Weber.

RFAs not qualified...they become UFAsTyler KennedyAnthony StewartBenoit PouliotAnton Stralman(partial list) (obv)

I'm a little surprised at all 4 actually. I think all 4 will find a home somewhere this year.I could see Burke going after Pouliot.

I know you are right, but there has to be some sort of draw to become a rockstar in your hometown. A place where you grew up, as opposed to playing hockey in Florida.I have said this before but if you are the player that is responsible for bringing a Stanley Cup back to Toronto and being the face of the franchise you are a god , rock star in this city for life and for generations to come.That has to be a little bit of a draw no?Its like if you grew up playing baseball in New York, wouldnt you dream of being the everyday shortstop for the New York Yankees, as opposed to playing in Canada for the Blue Jays.
Sure.But in the vast majority of cases, it comes down to the most total guaranteed money you can get.I doubt there's a player in the NHL who would take a 3 yr deal at big money to allow himself a chance to pick his town in 2014, over taking say an 8 year deal at big money now.Especially in an age like today where one bad shot to the head can cost you your career.The guys that are willing to do what they can to go home tend to be veterans nearer the end of their career than the beginning who have already made the bulk of their career earnings, not 21 year old kids.
Don't forget Stamkos actually has to agree to and sign the offer sheet. It's not like he's automatically gone when the clock strikes noon on Friday. It all depends what they both want. I would be completely shocked if Stamkos left Tampa. Plus, Tampa will match anything anyways, and I doubt Stamkos puts his team in that tough of a spot, overpaying slightly just to get an extra million a year? I don't know. I don't see it. Even if they don't get something worked out by the 1st, I don't see them going their separate ways, and I don't see him signing an offer sheet elsewhere. Same goes with Doughty and to a lesser extent, Weber.
Good point - signing an offer sheet means a crapton of pressure, and the knowledge your new team is going to be significantly harmed giving up all those picks.
RFAs not qualified...they become UFAsTyler KennedyAnthony StewartBenoit PouliotAnton Stralman(partial list) (obv)
Bogosian not yet qualified? Maybe? How insane would that be!
Good point - signing an offer sheet means a crapton of pressure, and the knowledge your new team is going to be significantly harmed giving up all those picks.Bogosian not yet qualified? Maybe? How insane would that be!
Oh Bogosian would be an interesting one..I need to know If I am ordering a Bogosian Jets jersey..BTW. Does anyone know how many offer sheets we have seen in the past? I am fairly certain its VERY few..Most GMs are in sort of a colluding agreement when it comes to this.I am all for offer sheets, and hope we see a lot.

The only ones I can remember, are Vancouver on David Backes, then I believe STL on Ryan kesler, then Edmonton on vanek and Penner.oh, and SJ on Hjalmersson.

The only ones I can remember, are Vancouver on David Backes, then I believe STL on Ryan kesler, then Edmonton on vanek and Penner.oh, and SJ on Hjalmersson.
you youngins!Sakic by RangersFedorov by Carolina the Kesler one was by Philly. I have to say, that was a great try, and you gotta be impressed by how Philly was active in trying to get a player they really believed in, and now, you see they were right to do so.
  • 11 months later...
Stamkos60_Wallpaper_1680x1050.jpgIt was interesting to look back at the first post in this thread and see what team was favoured at the time to get Stamkos.
Stamkos60_Wallpaper_1680x1050.jpgIt was interesting to look back at the first post in this thread and see what team was favoured at the time to get Stamkos.
Very interesting..However I dont think the Kings are in a position to win a cup without Drew Doughty
Very interesting..However I dont think the Kings are in a position to win a cup without Drew Doughty
Plus a lot of Kings fans believe that the Kings even with the number 1 pick would have drafted Doughty.
Plus a lot of Kings fans believe that the Kings even with the number 1 pick would have drafted Doughty.
4serious? I remember Stamkos being head and shoulders above the field in '08...like there was no doubt whatsoever that the team with the pick would either take Stamkos or at very worst trade back.
  • 1 year later...

That picture reminded me of a story that is way too uninteresting to tell. But, it also reminded me that I kept meaning to post a link to my old roommate's hockeydb page. In 4th year, I lived with a few buddies - as you may know, I'm 5'5, about 150 pounds. Pretty goddamn tiny. The smallest roommate I had that year was 6'3, 230, and had spent the summer working on some travelling strongman showcase. Other guys were 6'5 and up, both athletes. Made for a funny group.

Anyhoo, one of the guys had played a year in the OHL:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid[]=108271

I thought he just played a few games, but he actually popped in a couple. He would've been a 1985 birthday, so its not awful he was getting 4th line minutes.

That picture reminded me of a story that is way too uninteresting to tell. But, it also reminded me that I kept meaning to post a link to my old roommate's hockeydb page. In 4th year, I lived with a few buddies - as you may know, I'm 5'5, about 150 pounds. Pretty goddamn tiny. The smallest roommate I had that year was 6'3, 230, and had spent the summer working on some travelling strongman showcase. Other guys were 6'5 and up, both athletes. Made for a funny group.

Anyhoo, one of the guys had played a year in the OHL:

=108271"]http://www.hockeydb....hp?pid[]=108271

I thought he just played a few games, but he actually popped in a couple. He would've been a 1985 birthday, so its not awful he was getting 4th line minutes.

Hey thats awesome..He played for the Pickering Panthers..My sons team..

• 2 years later...

Yes but he will be wearing blue

I think whoever signs him will regret it. Health wise he's a very old 26. Three years ago he would have been in the conversation as the best player in the league, today he is a massive risk based on his injury and health history and his level of production the last few seasons.

A team like the Leafs can easily fit a big contract today but a few years from now when their young players need raises it could be a killer.