So I Have A Problem...

I have had DirecTV for probably 10 years. Friday I get an email from them saying that I need to contact them to upgrade my HD equipment for free because they are doing something that will make the current equipment useless where you won't be able to view their HD channels. So I call them and they say they need to replace my receiver and I tell them that I have 2 HD DVR's. I am then told that I can only get 1 upgraded for free and I will have to pay $300 to upgrade the 2nd one. I am obviously furious, ask to speak to someone else......same result. Send a couple emails and get the same canned responses. It just makes absolutely no sense to me.....business wise, ethics wise.....that even though I gave them double the business, I now am basically being held hostage and told, "unless you give us $300, you are out of luck". This is WAYYYYYY beyond the money to me. I am actually dumbfounded. I love DirecTV and I am still considering cancelling it over this. If there was another decent alternative, I would have already done it but on principle, I might do it anyway.So I have 2 questions:Am I crazy for being livid over this?Next course of action?

What kind of receivers do you currently have and what generation access card do you have? It's possible that you really don't need the new equipment.
I think they are both HR10-250. I paid $800 for the first one because it was the first HD Receiver TIVO they came out with. Not sure about the access cards.

So, I take it that you have only 1 account with them (not 2 separate accounts) and they are giving away 1 free upgrade per account? If that's the case, then there is probably nothing you can do about it. While it's not great customer service, it is not outside the normal way of doing business. When technological upgrades occur it is common for the consumer to have to bear some of the costs. That's been the historical reality. Let's face it: the consumer pays either way. Either there is a direct fee at the time -- or the company pays and collects from the consumer through higher rates long term. Either way, you pay.I've heard the Onstar company is going to upgrade soon and some of the cars 2006 and older with their product can not even be upgraded. They will actually lose their service with no options for an upgrade -- for the equipment that is built into our cars that we paid for in the purchase price of the vehicles.No one reimbursed people who had 8-track audiotapes. etc. Just wait until TV goes digital in the near future. There could be a lot of angry people when that happens.All you can do is decide whether your preference for the service is worth $300 to you. I can understand that you don't like it ... but the costs of technological development comes out of our pockets whether we want it to or not. It's just a matter of how and when.

this works for cell phone companies so it might work for TV. Find the CEO or Prez of sales etc, their phone number, don't worry you won't have to talk to them. Call, leave a long detailed polite but strong message telling your story, and that you have tried to resolve it, but are disapointed in their Customer service and the other facts and that you are strongly concidering canceling because of these facts. They have people who go through their voice mail for these things.Try it it might be worth it

They are actually offering you a better deal than new customers who now have to pay $199 for the first HD/DVR and $299 for each additional HD/DVR...Still sucks that your $800 equipment is now obsolete.

Yea they discontinued those due to a legal dispute with TIVO, it sucks to beacause those boxes were way better than the new HR20. Set top TIVO's aren't going to work with Direct TV soon either. Other than finding someone who knows how to hack the receivers so that they will still work after the upgrade, i think your pretty much gonna have to switch to the new receivers. I hate Direct TV customer service.

I have been with DTV since the beginning also, and bought Tivo the month it came out. I feel your pain.

This is WAYYYYYY beyond the money to me. I am actually dumbfounded.
Total BSA few months ago we decided to upgrade to HD and I called and was told that I could not get the HD HR20-700 DVR unless I paid the 300. 00 I asked to speak to someone else and I politely stated that I have been with them forever, and that I really hoped to stay with them but would not pay the 300.00 --- I also added that my hubby had been pushing me to go to cable so that we could continue to use TIVO (WHICH IS NOT AVALABLE IN HD FOR DTV only for Cable connections). She wound up giving me the DVR for just the shipping cost (19.99).You might try that with the fact that you have the 2 boxes and you are trying to stay a DTV customer, but will ultimately have to pick the company that will provide you what you need at the best value and service. FYI~ There are some good qualitites to the new DTV DVR, but if you are a TIVO lover you will be dissapointed by the 2 tuner function on DTV because you can not just flip back and forth on the 2 tuners. You have to record one channel in order to watch another live station. The 'season pass' feature for recording series is not user friendly. On the plus side, you can hold 90 minutes rather than just the 30 on Tivo. I think you might want to get the local Cable offer and see if they are more willing to 'play ball' with you right now. You can always go back to DTV in a year or two when they are ready to work with you to get you back. This used to work with the telephone companies~ heh.Just some thoughts.
FYI~ There are some good qualitites to the new DTV DVR, but if you are a TIVO lover you will be dissapointed by the 2 tuner function on DTV because you can not just flip back and forth on the 2 tuners. You have to record one channel in order to watch another live station. The 'season pass' feature for recording series is not user friendly. On the plus side, you can hold 90 minutes rather than just the 30 on Tivo.
FFS. I hadn't even gotten into the fact that I am pissed that I won't have TIVO anymore. I had heard the regular DVR wasn't as good but I had no clue how bad it was. Anyone have a clue as to why HD channels won't be able to be viewed with the old receivers?

I personally would complain a little bit to family, friends, and you guys, but in the end would just pay it. I wouldn't write e mails or write to the better business bureau, because I just don't do that stuff. But I never complain about anything when it comes to purchasing things or service issues, so that's just my personal style. From an outsiders perspective, it doesn't sound like you should have to pay though. I think people overreact in whining about things and sometimes come off acting like little children and need to grow up (who yells at people customer service reps?), but I wouldn't blame you or call you petty if you did take this further.

Yea they discontinued those due to a legal dispute with TIVO, it sucks to beacause those boxes were way better than the new HR20. Set top TIVO's aren't going to work with Direct TV soon either.
CHIT CHIT CHIT... I just realized that if this is the case, then I too will be getting the upgrade letter. The box we replaced (moved to a room with a non HD TV) was our old DTV TIVO. I assumed that we would be able to continue to use it but that is just would never show HD. Hmmph. Guess I'm gonna be calling DTV today to see WTF. I had to call them anyway because the DVR we got from them has a static sound on HBO channels. Aside:
I think people overreact in whining about things and sometimes come off acting like little children and need to grow up (who yells at people customer service reps?)
No need to yell at customer sevice reps but taking an issue with the company to make sure you get good service and taken care of as a customer is why there is a customer service department.I'm guessing that Cable is gonna be the way to go for Tivo people. You will have to buy the boxes though... :club:
I personally would complain a little bit to family, friends, and you guys, but in the end would just pay it. I wouldn't write e mails or write to the better business bureau, because I just don't do that stuff. But I never complain about anything when it comes to purchasing things or service issues, so that's just my personal style. From an outsiders perspective, it doesn't sound like you should have to pay though. I think people overreact in whining about things and sometimes come off acting like little children and need to grow up (who yells at people customer service reps?), but I wouldn't blame you or call you petty if you did take this further.
FWIW I didn't yell at the customer service rep even though she deserved it. Not for the "decision", but for her ****ed up attitude. "Well SIR, I am just telling you what my screen says".
CHIT CHIT CHIT... I just realized that if this is the case, then I too will be getting the upgrade letter. The box we replaced (moved to a room with a non HD TV) was our old DTV TIVO. I assumed that we would be able to continue to use it but that is just would never show HD. Hmmph. Guess I'm gonna be calling DTV today to see WTF. I had to call them anyway because the DVR we got from them has a static sound on HBO channels. I'm guessing that Cable is gonna be the way to go for Tivo people. You will have to buy the boxes though... :club:
Tell them RDog sent you.....

depending on your cable provider, you may end up in the same boat soon. Comcast is probably about a year away from the same battle with TIVO. I've heard rumors they are trying to block TIVO service (set top) from working with their service and they already have their own version of DVR's as well.

Take the one free upgrade, try not to hate the DVR they provide too much, keep an eye out for the new tivo hack and then go back to what you have now.
????

Guess it's time for me to start looking up more TIVO info. I was willing to just use a HD converter box on my two other sets and deal with that, but the whole Tivo being ditched by Comcast and DTV is going to make that a pain. I really don't want to give on Tivo, so if there is a hack coming I would like to know more about that too. I will say that once you make the adjustments to the new DTV DVR it really doesn't suck that much.