So tell me...is Locke good, evil or neutral. My girlfriend thinks he is worse than Ben. I say he does everything with the best intentions but no one realizes it until much later.
He is doing what he thinks is right-he is definatley not evil. It would have been nice of him to explode the submarine after it took Jack home, and it would have been nice if he didn't throw the knife at Naomi, but he did what he thought he needed to do.
I think he is good, but also you have to remember he was paralyzed before he came to the island. He may truely beleive that if he leaves the island he will be a criple again. Also, pretty much everyone on the island has nothing waiting for them at home, including Locke.
True, but that doesn't mean that they don't want to go home.
I agree with almost everything you say here, except that ben is not necissarily evil. He killed all those people 15 some odd years ago, remember? I can't remember why he did it, but that was not done by a sane middle of the road person.
I think he did it because he hated them. I remember he 'saw' his mom after his dad forgot his birthday and blamed him for killing her. Then he ran out into the jungle to try and find her and encountered Richard.
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This show really delivered and I was truly impressed with the first episode..I have decided to stop speculating on possible things and just sit back and enjoy and let the story unravel..Good job JJ

If I may quote Dane Cook."Lost is my favorite tv show. Here, let me show you guys how I watch Lost. After the commercial I say 'I hate this fuking show. I have 42 more questions and no godamn answers. What is the black smoke thing?'"

If I may quote Dane Cook."Lost is my favorite tv show. Here, let me show you guys how I watch Lost. After the commercial I say 'I hate this fuking show. I have 42 more questions and no godamn answers. What is the black smoke thing?'"
Please don't quote Dane Cook, it's not healthy for any of us. TY
I don't get why nobody on FCP likes Dane Cook. I have seriously never seen such a group of Dane haters.
He was funny 6 years ago, then never got a new joke. You can only spout the same bullshit over and over and over before people notice.Personally I thought he was hilarious on the Insomniac Tour, until I realized he had recylced those joke from the past 2 years, and then kept using them.
I don't get why nobody on FCP likes Dane Cook. I have seriously never seen such a group of Dane haters.
i hate him because he's not funny and kinda douchey, fwiw.
I agree with almost everything you say here, except that ben is not necissarily evil. He killed all those people 15 some odd years ago, remember? I can't remember why he did it, but that was not done by a sane middle of the road person.
i have a sort-of-theory that we're going to find out this season that ben may have had some better motivation for all that stuff than we originally thought. and i think that the moral lines are going to get profoundly muddled with everyone--the first hint is that jack actually was going to shoot locke in the opener.the only characters that may stay entirely "good" are the ones that have the shadiest backgrounds, like kate and sawyer. but we'll see. :)the next episode or two should be totally rad--i think we're going to see flash forwards from the rest of the "oceanic 6" and i'm REALLY looking forward to the first interactions between the boat people and the losties. if the boat people turn out to be super evil, we may see that as the avenue of making some of the others turn out to be more "good guys" than we thought at first.if jacob is jack's dad i'm gonna flip my shit. in a good way.
i have a sort-of-theory that we're going to find out this season that ben may have had some better motivation for all that stuff than we originally thought. and i think that the moral lines are going to get profoundly muddled with everyone--the first hint is that jack actually was going to shoot locke in the opener.the only characters that may stay entirely "good" are the ones that have the shadiest backgrounds, like kate and sawyer. but we'll see. :)the next episode or two should be totally rad--i think we're going to see flash forwards from the rest of the "oceanic 6" and i'm REALLY looking forward to the first interactions between the boat people and the losties. if the boat people turn out to be super evil, we may see that as the avenue of making some of the others turn out to be more "good guys" than we thought at first.if jacob is jack's dad i'm gonna flip my shit. in a good way.
I'm pretty sure from the screen shots that it is, and I agree with the blurring of good/evil lines. Lets just look at the things we do not know (this is off the top of my head)Who are the original others?Why were the second others there and doing fratility tests?What happened to the rest of the Dharma project?Whats the deal w/ Jacob?What the smoke?Why does the isalnd have special powers?Who is trying to find the island and kill everyone and why?These are the main what if, muddled with so many smaller ones.
I'm pretty sure from the screen shots that it is, and I agree with the blurring of good/evil lines. Lets just look at the things we do not know (this is off the top of my head)Who are the original others?
dunno and i haven't really thought about that in a while--which people you talkin about?
Why were the second others there and doing fratility tests?
i think the fertility tests have something to do with the ****ed-up-ed-ness of life and death on the island, which the others seem to know about (but why, then, did ben still need spinal surgery?--this has bothered me). some people get healed, but you die giving birth, etc.
What happened to the rest of the Dharma project?
i think that this has something to do with all the non-tv lost stuff--that we're going to find out that the "real world" has more to do with the show than we may think right now. i don't mean that the dharma project exists in real life, but that abrams et al may have created something alongside the tv show that may pop up in bigger ways than just the internet and fake oceanic and dharma initiative commercials.
Whats the deal w/ Jacob?What the smoke?
i think these are both the same question, actually. jacob's hut is on the other side of that electric fence from the dharma barracks, right? i think that although ben "reports" to jacob, the dharma guys wanted to defend themselves from whatever jacob is.
Why does the isalnd have special powers?
i think this has to do with jacob, and that jacob is the "it" that future hurley was talking about when he said to future jack, "i think it wants us to come back."
Who is trying to find the island and kill everyone and why?
i think this is either a remnant of the old dharma initiative that is trying to retake the island from ben or some sort of competitor to dharma that wants the powers of the island for themselves (which may not be much different from dharma in the end, imo).
These are the main what if, muddled with so many smaller ones.
there, let's talk about that. i'm drunk and need amusement :club:
there, let's talk about that. i'm drunk and need amusement :club:
It would have been easier had you not put your answers in my post.I'm interested as to what your line of thinking on the outside world stuff is. How this ties in, with the island the "lost" people.also interesting take on the rescuers either being Dharma or a competitor.
It would have been easier had you not put your answers in my post.I'm interested as to what your line of thinking on the outside world stuff is. How this ties in, with the island the "lost" people.also interesting take on the rescuers either being Dharma or a competitor.
fixed it, now shoot :club:
dunno and i haven't really thought about that in a while--which people you talkin about?
The guy who he met in the woods and he was also one that recruited the female fertility dr.
i think the fertility tests have something to do with the ****ed-up-ed-ness of life and death on the island, which the others seem to know about (but why, then, did ben still need spinal surgery?--this has bothered me). some people get healed, but you die giving birth, etc.
Yes this bothered me too. At the very beginning I thought the either the island or Walt made things come true. (remember the Polar Bear and it was on his comic book) but I think this is debunked a bit by the polar bear cages. But they brought walt back to help Locke, so that is confusing.
i think that this has something to do with all the non-tv lost stuff--that we're going to find out that the "real world" has more to do with the show than we may think right now. i don't mean that the dharma project exists in real life, but that abrams et al may have created something alongside the tv show that may pop up in bigger ways than just the internet and fake oceanic and dharma initiative commercials.
Yeah not sure here.
i think these are both the same question, actually. jacob's hut is on the other side of that electric fence from the dharma barracks, right? i think that although ben "reports" to jacob, the dharma guys wanted to defend themselves from whatever jacob is.
I agree with this.
i think this has to do with jacob, and that jacob is the "it" that future hurley was talking about when he said to future jack, "i think it wants us to come back."
I was thingking the same thing here.
i think this is either a remnant of the old dharma initiative that is trying to retake the island from ben or some sort of competitor to dharma that wants the powers of the island for themselves (which may not be much different from dharma in the end, imo).
I did not think of them being the Dharma project, but more of someone who wanted to take over the isalnd for its "power" whatever that may be.

Did anybody see all the previews about how Ocean Airlines would be showing something during Eli Stone?I DVRed Eli Stone so I could watch it, and there was a commercial for Oceanic Airlines where a bunch of women say things like, "Taking you places you have never dreamed of." But then this dude pops up and says "Don't trust them. We found the plane."

Did anybody see all the previews about how Ocean Airlines would be showing something during Eli Stone?I DVRed Eli Stone so I could watch it, and there was a commercial for Oceanic Airlines where a bunch of women say things like, "Taking you places you have never dreamed of." But then this dude pops up and says "Don't trust them. We found the plane."
I don't know what Eli Stone is, is this on the net anywhere?EDIT: NM I found it, seems kind of chessey, I hope this is not indicative of things to come on the show.
Well, considering Hurley's wild ride in the season opener, Jacobs hut is about 30 paces from the f*cking beach..i think this is either a remnant of the old dharma initiative that is trying to retake the island from ben or some sort of competitor to dharma that wants the powers of the island for themselves (which may not be much different from dharma in the end, imo).I think either is just as likely a scenario. Ben seemed genuinely afraid of whatever was coming, and I trust in Ben's judgement far more than any of the other idiots on the island.
1. ) Jacob is apparently all powerful/omnipotent. He can manifest as a jelly donut if that is the case. Considering the Hugo flash-forward is attempting to link Hugo and Jack, Hugo seeing Jacob as Jack's father shouldn't send off warning bells just yet.2. ) muddling moral lines is the show's specialty. Eko was one of the purest souls on the island, and had a ridiculously shady background. I do like your ideas about Ben not necessarily being bad, although he is 100% a manipulative bastard regardless. Ben always has been and will be my favorite character.3. ) Anyone else kind of curious as to how much Kate is striving to get off the island? She was handcuffed to a marshall during the premiere, remember. She's not destined for great things if they are rescued (unless, of course, it's spoiled by a flash forward.. oh wait... :club:)
i think the fertility tests have something to do with the ****ed-up-ed-ness of life and death on the island, which the others seem to know about (but why, then, did ben still need spinal surgery?--this has bothered me). some people get healed, but you die giving birth, etc.Time passes way slow on this island compared to the real world yeh? Like they've only been there 50 days while 4 years have passed in the "outside" world. Maybe this ties into the fertility thing. I'm also confused to how Ben has aged from childhood to adulthood on the island while the white guy he met as a kid is the same age. i think this has to do with jacob, and that jacob is the "it" that future hurley was talking about when he said to future jack, "i think it wants us to come back."I think "it" is the island and I'm going with troyomacs theory from last year about aliens. Either aliens visited the island and made it have special alien telepathic powers, or the island could actually be alive itself and be an alien, or an alien is hiding beneath the island, or this is the island from whence life sprung and it's under the power of jeebus.

My ****ing tivo decided to record the recap episode but not the new episode. I went to abc.com and the video won't load. So now I have to go to the library or something to catch the episode before wednesday.At least my boss will be happy that I've spent my time working instead of chatting about LOST.I'm excited to start discussing things again.

Gilberology:I agree on the guy who is the same age thing, that is weird to me and I forgot about it.I however disagree that there is anything alien here. I think it is all going to be supernatural somehow, but nothing from another planet.

Gilberology:I agree on the guy who is the same age thing, that is weird to me and I forgot about it.I however disagree that there is anything alien here. I think it is all going to be supernatural somehow, but nothing from another planet.
I've been singing the "The island is Purgatory" chorus line since the second season started. It all makes perfect sense: once enlightenment is reached, you die. Making it off of the island puts you in the real world/non-astral plane/hell.A self-contained entity full of trials and tribulations.. It makes the most sense at this point. I used to think that the "others" were angels, and I still haven't been completely disproven on that concept. I continually try and drive home the point to my friends that the others have never intentionally harmed/killed anyone outside of putting them through differeing trials and such, and stretching the barriers of their morality and belief system.I know you enjoy Locke, for example: What bigger trial could he go through than to be given back that which was taken from him on earth (re: legs) and use those to find salvation for himself and all those around him.
I've been singing the "The island is Purgatory" chorus line since the second season started. It all makes perfect sense: once enlightenment is reached, you die. Making it off of the island puts you in the real world/non-astral plane/hell.A self-contained entity full of trials and tribulations.. It makes the most sense at this point. I used to think that the "others" were angels, and I still haven't been completely disproven on that concept. I continually try and drive home the point to my friends that the others have never intentionally harmed/killed anyone outside of putting them through differeing trials and such, and stretching the barriers of their morality and belief system.I know you enjoy Locke, for example: What bigger trial could he go through than to be given back that which was taken from him on earth (re: legs) and use those to find salvation for himself and all those around him.
If I am not mistaken, I have seen the producers state a few times that it is NOT purgatory. I'll look for the link tomorrow. I am too tired right now.This will help pass time though...I am sure theh answer is somewhere in here. This is the best site ever!http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Ethan hanged Charlie from a tree. That was pretty intentional.Ben shot Locke. Intentionally.Ben gassed the Dharmas. Intentionally.
Ethan hanged Charlie from a tree. That was pretty intentional.Ben shot Locke. Intentionally.Ben gassed the Dharmas. Intentionally.
As for Ben shooting Locke, I think there could have possibly been a reason for that. One theory out there is that Locke was losing faith with the island. Since Ben and Locke seem to be working with the belief that the island is grand. Ben shot Locke knowing Locke would survive. This, in a way, was a test for Locke. Something to help reaffirm his faith in the island. One theory also states that Ben gassed the people of the Dharma Initiative as a sort of cleansing of the island.
If I am not mistaken, I have seen the producers state a few times that it is NOT purgatory. I'll look for the link tomorrow. I am too tired right now.This will help pass time though...I am sure theh answer is somewhere in here. This is the best site ever!http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
That is a fun site, had it in bookmarks forever. I'm not saying it is purgatory by any means, that's just what makes the most sense, and too many things have been a bit too "convenient" for my taste (The mary statues with heroin falling into Charlies lap, for lack of a more creative example this early in the morning). It all boils down to: a lot more than sheer coincidence that all those people so randomly related on so many levels were randomly on that particular plane, that particular day, blah blah blah.
Ethan put Charlie in a tree to slow down the pursuit of Jack and Co. Ethan could very easily of actually "killed" Charlie. Remember, Ethan's main objective was getting Claire to the lab, and he was being pursued by a "doctor". He could have easily done it knowing Charlie would be ok.Ben shot Locke for a reason, we'll find out soon enough. As the island's resident angel, Ben has a long history of putting people through trials and tribulations, testing their faith and perserverance, presumably by Gods Jacob's order.As for him wiping out Dharma, we have every reason in the world to believe that Dharma was NOT the good guys, and Ben even chipped in and gave them all a proper burial, on what was likely a very busy day for him. :club: