Dear Ouch 8-s

imo NOD32 is the best i've ever used, but it's not free, and that review is right, it can be a little confusing. I like the avast av program for a free solution.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just solved a problem that Qyayqi has been having, posting the solution here in case this happens to anyone else. The symptoms: Every once in a while, his punctuation marks would start coming out as special characters; for example ? became an accented É. This would persist until the affected application was restarted. Super annoying in IRC. The cause: Turns out this is due to the combined effect of two unfortunate choices: 1. Living in Canada and 2. Using VistaApparently there are keyboard shortcuts enabled by default which will switch you between the Canadian English layout and the French Canadian layout. When you're in French Canadian, the special characters appear in place of the punctuation marks. The solution: You have to disable the keyboard shortcuts and/or remove the keyboard layouts you aren't using. Under Control Panel -> Regional and Language Settings -> Keyboard and Languages tab -> DetailsRemove any unneeded keyboard mappings and disable keyboard switching shortcuts for there. Seems to be alt-shift or ctrl-shift by default.

My new PC.asvfdvsfcdvszdg0.jpgI have a 22" VGA monitor and because of the difficulty in getting dual VGA graphics cards I'm going to get a 22" DVI monitor. That's why I have that graphics card. I don't particularly play games, so graphics aren't a major factor anyway.It will need to access and manipulate databases of >20GB very quickly, and my laptop is just struggling a little.Thoughts? Anything I should look to upgrade? Anything I could easily afford to downgrade?

My new PC.asvfdvsfcdvszdg0.jpgI have a 22" VGA monitor and because of the difficulty in getting dual VGA graphics cards I'm going to get a 22" DVI monitor. That's why I have that graphics card. I don't particularly play games, so graphics aren't a major factor anyway.It will need to access and manipulate databases of >20GB very quickly, and my laptop is just struggling a little.Thoughts? Anything I should look to upgrade? Anything I could easily afford to downgrade?
my only thought is to wonder if the retail CPU w/ heatsink is cheaper than the OEM+zalman - the oem heatsinks are fine, even for mild overclocks.
It sucks to live in England? A lot of those prices can be beat, but I can't help you due to your location.
Ya. Those are pretty much the best £ prices you can get.Shipping from america would probably negate any savings I would make, so I doubt it's worthwhile thinking about that.
off to install linux. finally. if you don't see me again today, it went badly.
easy install, kind of flying blind getting things set up. but i'm here and pstars is running. that HAS to be considered a start.
easy install, kind of flying blind getting things set up. but i'm here and pstars is running. that HAS to be considered a start.
I installed hardy for someone just a few days ago. the whole process took less than two hours, including time spent installing ndiswrapper and getting the keyring to stop asking for a password upon autologin.
  • 2 weeks later...

Ouch,If you're currently taking questions from crazy people, I have one. I have a DVR with let's say hour long programs on them and I want to upload them on the internet. Youtube and other sites I've visited only allow 10 or 20 minutes. 1) Do you know any sites that allow an hour or longer on video uploads.2) How can I get the programs from my DVR (with a DVD burner in it) onto my computer.3) I've burned the programs onto DVD's but my computer just plays them and if I look at the file folders it looks just like a real store purchased DVD. There are many files, not just one big one.4) It's late, sorry if this doesn't make any sense.-brv

Ouch,If you're currently taking questions from crazy people, I have one. I have a DVR with let's say hour long programs on them and I want to upload them on the internet. Youtube and other sites I've visited only allow 10 or 20 minutes. 1) Do you know any sites that allow an hour or longer on video uploads.2) How can I get the programs from my DVR (with a DVD burner in it) onto my computer.3) I've burned the programs onto DVD's but my computer just plays them and if I look at the file folders it looks just like a real store purchased DVD. There are many files, not just one big one.4) It's late, sorry if this doesn't make any sense.-brv
1 - not offhand but there may be one2 - sounds like you can burn them as a DVD. read up on what all those files mean here: www.doom9.org. essentially they're mpg23 - yeah, that's ok, they can be converted to divx or any number of other formats. if you are doing it so you can upload it to an online service, find out what that service wants (hopefully mpg2) and then convert it to that.4 - i'll forgive you if you post boobs.
1 - not offhand but there may be one2 - sounds like you can burn them as a DVD. read up on what all those files mean here: www.doom9.org. essentially they're mpg23 - yeah, that's ok, they can be converted to divx or any number of other formats. if you are doing it so you can upload it to an online service, find out what that service wants (hopefully mpg2) and then convert it to that.4 - i'll forgive you if you post boobs.
Any programs you would recommend to convert the files to mpg2? I used a program called DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD's onto my computer.huge_boobs.jpg
do you have any recommendations for quick and easy editing of video & soundtracks?
Movie Maker comes with XP. I've used Nero (8?) Ultra suite with good success.
I installed hardy for someone just a few days ago. the whole process took less than two hours, including time spent installing ndiswrapper and getting the keyring to stop asking for a password upon autologin.
No issues with kernel panics or anything?I switched back to gutsy after my whole system froze while I was trying to copy torrent trackers from firefox to deluge. Not pleasant.Someone told me it might have been a problem with firefox 3 beta, in which case I guess I'm going to wait for final to come out before I move to hardy. Otherwise, well, other than the fact that Hardy relabeled my device numbers and had my external HD mounted to "/," and the new sound server wouldn't let me use layered sound (switching back to ALSA fixed that), everything was ok.Qyaqi: Linux is become tons more viable for a poker OS with Wine now. PT3 works fine, Stars works as good as native now, Full Tilt is getting there (I saw a few bugfixes for FT in the changelog for Wine 1.0-rc), but I played FTOPS 7 on Ubuntu, and it did well for me. Bodog is starting to work slowly (last time I checked). Merge works fine, Absolute play works, just cashier and account settings doesn't, people say they can get UB working, I just never have.
No issues with kernel panics or anything?I switched back to gutsy after my whole system froze while I was trying to copy torrent trackers from firefox to deluge. Not pleasant.Someone told me it might have been a problem with firefox 3 beta, in which case I guess I'm going to wait for final to come out before I move to hardy. Otherwise, well, other than the fact that Hardy relabeled my device numbers and had my external HD mounted to "/," and the new sound server wouldn't let me use layered sound (switching back to ALSA fixed that), everything was ok.Qyaqi: Linux is become tons more viable for a poker OS with Wine now. PT3 works fine, Stars works as good as native now, Full Tilt is getting there (I saw a few bugfixes for FT in the changelog for Wine 1.0-rc), but I played FTOPS 7 on Ubuntu, and it did well for me. Bodog is starting to work slowly (last time I checked). Merge works fine, Absolute play works, just cashier and account settings doesn't, people say they can get UB working, I just never have.
LOL wow, I've never had hardy take a dump on me like that. I just installed it on my laptop, it seems to work fine.if you're gonna be playing a lot of poker on linux, save yourself some hassle and just use vmware and some version of windows. the registration process takes like five minutes and it's 100% free. why bother with "as good as native" when you can have native?
LOL wow, I've never had hardy take a dump on me like that. I just installed it on my laptop, it seems to work fine.if you're gonna be playing a lot of poker on linux, save yourself some hassle and just use vmware and some version of windows. the registration process takes like five minutes and it's 100% free. why bother with "as good as native" when you can have native?
Other than the fact that I don't have a version of Windows on hand (I broke my Windows ME discs, I'm sure you all understand, I was doing it for the betterment of mankind):VMWare is resource-heavy on a system where I can't really spare the resources, and running them in Wine and submitting bugs and test results actually helps a worthwhile project that will cause a large amount of Windows apps to run as good as native within Linux, thus eliminating the need for keeping a version of VMWare and a copy of Windows around "just in case."But I digress.Dear Ouch,I have this friend. Let's call him "Jake," because that's his real name. He came to me complaining of browser issues, when in truth, it's really a network issue seemingly.He runs Windows XP with ZoneAlarm for his firewall, AVG for anti-virus, and Windows Defender for anti-spyware, and has a wireless PCI card in his desktop that I installed personally. His problem is that he has very limited connectivity to the internet, as in he can only surf the web for about 10 minutes before he loses the ability to. AIM/MSN/Yahoo/Bittorrent/Limewire work fine. At first, Jake says he wasn't able to surf at all, but after doing a system restore point, he was able to surf for 10 minutes. The only way he can resume surfing is to restart.This problem is browser-independent, as it occurs on IE, Firefox, and Opera at the exact same time, which obviously leads me to believe it's some kind of networking problem. I ask him about his setting on ZoneAlarm, as when I was living with him, we had problems with ZoneAlarm cutting off the ability to connect outside the LAN, I had changed all the settings in ZoneAlarm to prevent this when I figured out the cause, and did so on this desktop. He said he hadn't changed anything on there; in fact, he had uninstalled temporarily just to see if ZoneAlarm was the cause, but the problem persisted.I have asked him to check and see if somehow, Windows Firewall got enabled, otherwise, I'm drawing a blank. It's clearly a problem with the HTTP port, but this is the only spot in the house where this happens (his desktop downstairs and his laptop work fine). He just changed out his netgear router for a wireless gateway from AT&T (unrelated to this problem: his modem died), and it is still occurring with the gateway.Any ideas that I may be missing? He didn't mention anything about AVG or Defender picking up anything, so I'm doubtful it's malware-related. If you can't think of anything that might fix this, I'll probably end up telling him to backup important data and wipe the system.Oh, and bewbs:04.jpg
Other than the fact that I don't have a version of Windows on hand (I broke my Windows ME discs, I'm sure you all understand, I was doing it for the betterment of mankind):VMWare is resource-heavy on a system where I can't really spare the resources, and running them in Wine and submitting bugs and test results actually helps a worthwhile project that will cause a large amount of Windows apps to run as good as native within Linux, thus eliminating the need for keeping a version of VMWare and a copy of Windows around "just in case."But I digress.Dear Ouch,I have this friend. Let's call him "Jake," because that's his real name. He came to me complaining of browser issues, when in truth, it's really a network issue seemingly.He runs Windows XP with ZoneAlarm for his firewall, AVG for anti-virus, and Windows Defender for anti-spyware, and has a wireless PCI card in his desktop that I installed personally. His problem is that he has very limited connectivity to the internet, as in he can only surf the web for about 10 minutes before he loses the ability to. AIM/MSN/Yahoo/Bittorrent/Limewire work fine. At first, Jake says he wasn't able to surf at all, but after doing a system restore point, he was able to surf for 10 minutes. The only way he can resume surfing is to restart.This problem is browser-independent, as it occurs on IE, Firefox, and Opera at the exact same time, which obviously leads me to believe it's some kind of networking problem. I ask him about his setting on ZoneAlarm, as when I was living with him, we had problems with ZoneAlarm cutting off the ability to connect outside the LAN, I had changed all the settings in ZoneAlarm to prevent this when I figured out the cause, and did so on this desktop. He said he hadn't changed anything on there; in fact, he had uninstalled temporarily just to see if ZoneAlarm was the cause, but the problem persisted.I have asked him to check and see if somehow, Windows Firewall got enabled, otherwise, I'm drawing a blank. It's clearly a problem with the HTTP port, but this is the only spot in the house where this happens (his desktop downstairs and his laptop work fine). He just changed out his netgear router for a wireless gateway from AT&T (unrelated to this problem: his modem died), and it is still occurring with the gateway.Any ideas that I may be missing? He didn't mention anything about AVG or Defender picking up anything, so I'm doubtful it's malware-related. If you can't think of anything that might fix this, I'll probably end up telling him to backup important data and wipe the system.Oh, and bewbs:04.jpg
strange problem.wireless adapter driver?lose zero config?uninstall/reinstall network?
Qyaqi: Linux is become tons more viable for a poker OS with Wine now. PT3 works fine, Stars works as good as native now, Full Tilt is getting there (I saw a few bugfixes for FT in the changelog for Wine 1.0-rc), but I played FTOPS 7 on Ubuntu, and it did well for me. Bodog is starting to work slowly (last time I checked). Merge works fine, Absolute play works, just cashier and account settings doesn't, people say they can get UB working, I just never have.
Is this the PT3 linux version that was promised or is this under Wine? Either way I'm very tempted to buy. I wish PokerEV was going to work on linux though, simo makes it sound really good.
Other than the fact that I don't have a version of Windows on hand (I broke my Windows ME discs, I'm sure you all understand, I was doing it for the betterment of mankind):VMWare is resource-heavy on a system where I can't really spare the resources, and running them in Wine and submitting bugs and test results actually helps a worthwhile project that will cause a large amount of Windows apps to run as good as native within Linux, thus eliminating the need for keeping a version of VMWare and a copy of Windows around "just in case."
the last time I used wine semi-regularly was maybe a year ago. it was able to do okay with stars except for some wonky main lobby issues, but not much else was functional. I never tried PT3 etc. spot on about the resources, though...

1. does vmware slow down both linux & windows? the point of moving to linux was to run a 64bit os that isn't bloated, i'm skeptical about now running something else that gives a hit to performance.2. while i'm here... is there a repository of instrument files for tracker software? i'd like to hack around with composing some background music for... something... so i don't get sued for silence. i have installed soundtracker, but it is hella hard to find any zipped up collections of samples.

1. does vmware slow down both linux & windows? the point of moving to linux was to run a 64bit os that isn't bloated, i'm skeptical about now running something else that gives a hit to performance.
you configure vmware to use a certain amount of disk space, processor usage, and RAM to serve as the resources for the virtual PC to use. if you have a lot of RAM and a good processor, you're probably not going to notice a difference with the minimum specs devoted to XP. basically, it should be your last resort because it takes much longer to install and configure correctly, and the end result doesn't approach wine's level of integration with gnome/kde/etc.

I recently bought a new PC and for the first time i'm running Vista. I think my comp is quite high spec (3.0 GHZ dual core processor,3GB RAM), but i'm running it on dual monitors and am planning on playing a few high quality games aswell as the usual multi-tabling. I don't paticulary like vista that much, and i've heard from a lot of sources that it's really resource draining and generaly bad, should I be looking to downgrade to XP?