Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen any discussion of Super Mario Galaxy...the game that everyone's been waiting a decade for. I picked it up on Wednesday, and have put in several long sessions. I loved 64, liked Sunshine more than most people, and really am pretty blown away by Galaxy. This is the first time I've played a game on the Wii without noticing the controls...they feel so seamless.Spoilers:

I've beaten Bowser, have 108 Stars, and am working on getting the Purple Coin Stars.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it the day it came out...obv haven't played it as much as you Cobalt...I think I have about 25 stars.It's a very good game...so far it is a little easy though up to the point I'm at.

Got it the day it came out, too. I definitely give it my vote for game of the year. Has more of a traditional "Mario" feel than Sunshine, which I loved also. The controls are seamless, but I also felt the same about Zelda.

Haven't gotten it yet, I totally forgot about it and then the store I went to yesterday was out :club:. I still haven't beaten Zelda yet though, so I might just wait until I do.
Which Zelda? Phantom Hourglass? I beat that in 5 days or so.

118 Stars. Just have Dreadnought Purple and another Purple. Luigi's Purple was a bitch.

I'm closing in on 90 myself,

do you have to beat the end end bowser stage to open up going for the purples?

You know what happens when you get all 120 right?

I'm closing in on 90 myself,

do you have to beat the end end bowser stage to open up going for the purples?

You know what happens when you get all 120 right?

Yeah. I figured you just had to beat that first purple coin challenge in the Gate galaxy, but the Purple Comet doesn't show up until you go beat Bowser in the center of the universe. How'd you like Bouldergeist? Beat him on Daredevil yet?Also, I spoiled the 120 thing a long time ago. I'm trying to decide if I'll have the determination to beat it through again with Luigi to get the 121st star.

How'd you like Bouldergeist? Beat him on Daredevil yet?Also, I spoiled the 120 thing a long time ago. I'm trying to decide if I'll have the determination to beat it through again with Luigi to get the 121st star.

Yea I did that, one of my favorite boss battles in a platformer ever... It wasn't particularly hard but it was fun. I really hate the cosmic race comets racing the shadow gives me a headache on some stages. One thing I don't like is that when you save and come back later you always start up with just 5 guys, one time i shut it down with like 80 lives and would have liked to have kept them.

Apparently it was the highest rated game ever! by online sites (as in the average of all of them combined which is amazing. So now the Wii finally has a game that didnt come out during launch which is worth picking the system up. Im not sure if Ill ever buy a Wii but from what I hear this is a great game

Apparently it was the highest rated game ever! by online sites (as in the average of all of them combined which is amazing. So now the Wii finally has a game that didnt come out during launch which is worth picking the system up. Im not sure if Ill ever buy a Wii but from what I hear this is a great game
It truly is a great game. I put 5+ hours on it tonight without realizing that I put in that much time. I have not put in that kind of time on a first night in a really long time.

Music is a bit too corny for me but it is a great game, maybe be the greatest in terms of being super-likeable and enjoyable. But there has been greater games in terms of artistic values.

Music is a bit too corny for me but it is a great game, maybe be the greatest in terms of being super-likeable and enjoyable. But there has been greater games in terms of artistic values.
Guess it depends on what you consider art. The art and animation in Mario Galaxy is phenomenal all the way around, if your judging on realism or something then I guess I don't understand what you are expecting.The music is mostly classic Mario, it's part of what makes a Mario title a Mario title... can't have a Mario game without that music. As far as platformers go its even better with the music generally picking up pace in tense situations etc... if you listen to the subtlety of the minor changes you would be amazed. No detail was overlooked.Metacritic Compiled Score: Currently 97 of 100 which puts it in the top 1% of titles ever. I think I found 3-4 games with higher scores, none higher than 98 and and a handful of other games with an equal score.
Guess it depends on what you consider art. The art and animation in Mario Galaxy is phenomenal all the way around, if your judging on realism or something then I guess I don't understand what you are expecting.The music is mostly classic Mario, it's part of what makes a Mario title a Mario title... can't have a Mario game without that music. As far as platformers go its even better with the music generally picking up pace in tense situations etc... if you listen to the subtlety of the minor changes you would be amazed. No detail was overlooked.Metacritic Compiled Score: Currently 97 of 100 which puts it in the top 1% of titles ever. I think I found 3-4 games with higher scores, none higher than 98 and and a handful of other games with an equal score.
It's also worthy to note its #2 overall according to gamerankings.com from all platforms, second of course to ocarina of time:http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/s....asp?rankings=yI just got this game on thursday, I had it preordered but I was in Florida when it came out so I'm trying to catch up. I have over 30 stars, not bad I guess for a weekend of play. Absolutly phenomenal game.So far the best part of the game for me:

Rescuing Luigi from the Haunted Mansion.

So far the best part of the game for me:

Rescuing Luigi from the Haunted Mansion.

Boldergiest fight is my favorite part so far. I'm a little over 100 stars, finished the last stage and am now doing all the purple comet stars and wrapping up a few hidden ones to try and get all 120.
One thing I don't like is that when you save and come back later you always start up with just 5 guys, one time i shut it down with like 80 lives and would have liked to have kept them.
I'd forgotten this also, but apparently it's standard for platformers. I've heard that you max out at 99 lives. Honestly, it's not really a big deal since there are 4 one-ups every time you re-enter the hub.

Yea, but sometimes it's nice to be lazy and start off with 50 lives so I don't have to run around collecting them. I think there is actually 5 in the hub. One by the ship, one under the stairs to the kitchen, one on the moving track under the library, one at the very peak of the castle and one floating underneath the island that floats up near the top. You have to have use the red star to get to two of them though.

Yea, but sometimes it's nice to be lazy and start off with 50 lives so I don't have to run around collecting them. I think there is actually 5 in the hub. One by the ship, one under the stairs to the kitchen, one on the moving track under the library, one at the very peak of the castle and one floating underneath the island that floats up near the top. You have to have use the red star to get to two of them though.
So just don't turn your game off. =)Yeah...forgot about that one at the very top since I never go to the trouble of getting it.