• Colorado Rockies
    • Los Angeles Angels
    • Philadelphia Phillies
    • San Diego Padres

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always root for the teams that haven't won a pennant in the last decade first and foremost.So that would be an Indians-Rockies World Series.. I could live with that. I don't hate the Sox or Dbacks winning either. This is 4 teams I genuinely like. So rare in baseball. This is my "Please Lord, anyone but the Yankees" time of year, and I will soundly applaud whoever wins it. P.S. - A Cubs-Indians World Series would have been a LFT-defining series. That was the ultimate matchup.

I don't want to change the topic of the thread but I think it would be stupid to start a new thread for this, but why do baseball players celebrate like they won the world series...after they clinch a playoff berth, after they clinch the division and then every round of the playoffs? I find it really annoying and bush.

I don't want to change the topic of the thread but I think it would be stupid to start a new thread for this, but why do baseball players celebrate like they won the world series...after they clinch a playoff berth, after they clinch the division and then every round of the playoffs? I find it really annoying and bush.
I understand it in the case of young teams who haven't won before. I mean, the old adage, act like you've been there before....they haven't. If the Yankees do it, even though they've been to the playoffs 85 straight years...that's kinda dumb.But they've accomplished something...they should celebrate.
I understand it in the case of young teams who haven't won before. I mean, the old adage, act like you've been there before....they haven't. If the Yankees do it, even though they've been to the playoffs 85 straight years...that's kinda dumb.But they've accomplished something...they should celebrate.
They don't do it in other sports. Why baseball?
They don't do it in other sports. Why baseball?
winning a playoff series is rarer in baseball than in other sports although less so these daysplus its cleveland something ugly will happen might as well celebrate nowbtw lol at the yankees being left off the pol

I can see doing it when clinching a playoff berth (or division, one or the other). It's a long 6 month season. It's a grind and they deserve to party it up. But not again until they win the World Series. Although, I like to think about the two leagues as separate, so I can see when winning the pennant even though I would prefer not. But I agree, it's too much. Winning the Division Series is nice, but it isn't Champagne worthy.

But they've accomplished something...they should celebrate.
The Indians haven't been to the playoff since 2001. And almost nobody was on that team-only a couple of players on the Tribe have previous post season experience-clinching a playoff spot, and advancing to the ALCS is something to celebrate.
The Indians haven't been to the playoff since 2001. And almost nobody was on that team-only a couple of players on the Tribe have previous post season experience-clinching a playoff spot, and advancing to the ALCS is something to celebrate.
The Golden St. Warriors hadn't been to the playoffs in 13 years and beat the team with the best record in the league. They stayed on the court after the game to high-five the fans and wave the flag around the court and they were harshly criticized for it.
The Golden St. Warriors hadn't been to the playoffs in 13 years and beat the team with the best record in the league. They stayed on the court after the game to high-five the fans and wave the flag around the court and they were harshly criticized for it.
What were they criticized for?

College football fans celebrate big regular season wins with rushing the field and tearing down goal posts. Winning a playoff series against one of the best teams in the sport is relatively equivalent.

College football fans celebrate big regular season wins with rushing the field and tearing down goal posts. Winning a playoff series against one of the best teams in the sport is relatively equivalent.
These guys are professionals though...they should act like it.

Basically fans want athletes to play for the love of the game and not the money, but when they achieve something significant they should not express their joy.

Basically fans want athletes to play for the love of the game and not the money, but when they achieve something significant they should not express their joy.
winning the ALDS is not significant when they have the ALCS to look forward to
winning the ALDS is not significant when they have the ALCS to look forward to
It's their first trip back to the ALCS in almost a decade...I can see why they'd celebrate. So act like they've been there? Most of them haven't. Certainly you've got to excuse the Rockies for being excited...it was their first playoff series win in franchise history.Also, good game going on right now if anyone's still up.
All I'm asking is why is it only baseball that they celebrate every single time. All teams do it, it's not just the teams that haven't been there for awhile.
Why do you care?I was just thinking this the other day. My neighbors have a party the last Saturday of every month. I want to know why not the last Saturday of every third month? Why? Why so many parties?It's not right.
All I'm asking is why is it only baseball that they celebrate every single time. All teams do it, it's not just the teams that haven't been there for awhile.
They celebrate every time because it's an accomplishment. And why not? For what its worth, the Red Sox celebration after the ALDS was quite restrained. Certainly much more so than after the clinching the division.
They celebrate every time because it's an accomplishment. And why not? For what its worth, the Red Sox celebration after the ALDS was quite restrained. Certainly much more so than after the clinching the division.
If I recall correctly, the Yanks and Braves celebrations for playoff series wins (aside from WS) also got progressively less raucous.