This is next year is going to be my fourth of four years at Bristol.I gather you are the "math guy" round here. If you don't mind me asking, is this because you just have strong grasp of mathematics generally and leant the poker math (I really hate saying "math") specifically for the game, or have you actually studied game theory etc in your degree? I guess the former, as so far I have done precisely nothing even remotely related to poker during my education.
I wouldn't say I'm necessarily the resident "math guy", because there are a ton of people with far more knowledge of the subject than me.My degree helps me to understand and interpret a lot of the maths involved in poker, but it's an indirect link. It's more that the general grounding gives you a way of thinking about things. Poker maths go a lot deeper than pot odds and counting outs (which honestly I don't really class as "poker maths").Annoyingly, when people refer to a poker player as a "math guy" they usually mean it's a very tight player who never bluffs, constantly announces his pot odds and talks about what % he was to hit a set or whatever while he's playing (I know that's not what you were meaning). IMO the whole "maths vs feel" argument is just retarded, because 'feel' is based on maths anyway.BTW, if you want a good book to read:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-Poker-...n/dp/1886070253
  • Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Annoyingly, when people refer to a poker player as a "math guy" they usually mean it's a very tight player who never bluffs, constantly announces his pot odds and talks about what % he was to hit a set or whatever while he's playing (I know that's not what you were meaning). IMO the whole "maths vs feel" argument is just retarded, because 'feel' is based on maths anyway.BTW, if you want a good book to read:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-Poker-...n/dp/1886070253
QFT, one example of this is the way people relentlessly type cast Andy Bloch and Chris Ferguson as 'math' guys, yet Andy Bloch plays HU in a very similar manner to the nut case Scandinavian guys like Lars and Zigmund. The Mathematics of poker is also awesome, though it's a very very long read and confuses the hell out of simpletons like me, I think it's probably one of the best poker books out there.
I wouldn't say I'm necessarily the resident "math guy", because there are a ton of people with far more knowledge of the subject than me.My degree helps me to understand and interpret a lot of the maths involved in poker, but it's an indirect link. It's more that the general grounding gives you a way of thinking about things. Poker maths go a lot deeper than pot odds and counting outs (which honestly I don't really class as "poker maths").
Yes this is exactly what I thought. I think just being comfortable learning and actively using mathematics is the important skill, that can be applied to poker and many, many other things :club: (I'm such a geek).
Annoyingly, when people refer to a poker player as a "math guy" they usually mean it's a very tight player who never bluffs, constantly announces his pot odds and talks about what % he was to hit a set or whatever while he's playing (I know that's not what you were meaning). IMO the whole "maths vs feel" argument is just retarded, because 'feel' is based on maths anyway.
LOL yes I hope I wasn't being offensive. I see from that, quite excellent, post you did in the pokertracker information for beginners thread in the Gen Strat forum (well it was actually here, but was linked), that you are far from tight :ts
I literally purchased this book 1 week ago, but haven't got round to reading it yet. I looks really good
QFT, one example of this is the way people relentlessly type cast Andy Bloch and Chris Ferguson as 'math' guys, yet Andy Bloch plays HU in a very similar manner to the nut case Scandinavian guys like Lars and Zigmund.
Yeah I read an article in last months WPT magazine, by Andy Bloch, where he recommend opening from the button (FR) with something like 58% of hands (it was a tourney article to be fair)
Andy Bloch is annoying.
I actually met him at the WSOPE last year. I say met, but all that happened was that I got my photo taken with him, then I made some comment about how he should have won the 2006 H.O.R.S.E. bracelet, and I don't think he even responded :club:
Housing Market story on Yahoo.Outside California, hard-hit markets include Phoenix (-18.8%), Las Vegas (-22%), West Palm Beach, Fla. (-32%) and Cape Coral, Fla. (-35%).Youngblood expects that these markets will likely endure total price drops of 50% or more.
False.No Neck also happens to not be the boss.
am I even employeed in this thread?Vegas has knocked down my productivity on FCP by like 200%.
PokerEV graph plzplzplzplzplz+8 buyins +8buyins -10buyins.....
I don't have PT or Hud on this computer so I don't know how to do it? I guess I could request my HH? Then what's the next step? I actually got some of the 10bi's back late last night. Then got AK all in v J5 and he banged out a 5. Then I moved up to 1-2nl (two level jump) and played like a girl but got $110 back.
I don't have PT or Hud on this computer so I don't know how to do it? I guess I could request my HH? Then what's the next step? I actually got some of the 10bi's back late last night. Then got AK all in v J5 and he banged out a 5. Then I moved up to 1-2nl (two level jump) and played like a girl but got $110 back.
Grrr, don't do that!!
works for my don't own nothing ass!
We might buy one. That's what I was thinking.
anyone want to move to one of those areas and start a co-op :club: online poker house could be fun
I will do it under a few conditions. One of which is that we all agree blindly to put up 50% of our bankroll to buy the house, and regardless of how big it is we each have an equal share of the house. There are a few others, but I felt like getting the most reasonable request out of the way first.
I will do it under a few conditions. One of which is that we all agree blindly to put up 50% of our bankroll to buy the house, and regardless of how big it is we each have an equal share of the house. There are a few others, but I felt like getting the most reasonable request out of the way first.
i think we should also spin a wheel, think wheel of fortune, not prices right. To decide which "depressed" community to live in.
i think we should also spin a wheel, think wheel of fortune, not prices right. To decide which "depressed" community to live in.
*IF* I'm understanding David's post correctly, one of the two places in Florida; they're the cheap ones. :club:

We woke up today at 6am. Played some poker, took a dip in the pool, messed around on the putting green. Gonna go get a sandwich then head over and rail Hoos at the FT.This day time stuff is kinda neat!

Property value is down here. Quality of life still maintains an extreme high.

We woke up today at 6am. Played some poker, took a dip in the pool, messed around on the putting green. Gonna go get a sandwich then head over and rail Hoos at the FT.This day time stuff is kinda neat!
if you could add a coat and tails to your av it would be the greatest thing since the breakfast sandwich!
if you could add a coat and tails to your av it would be the greatest thing since the breakfast sandwich!
I am gonna swith it up soon. I have tired of it.
I'm in but I should warn you that my poker BR is like $50 right now - so for $25 to own in a house, I'd be stupid to pass that up :club:
I'm in but I should warn you that my poker BR is like $50 right now - so for $25 to own in a house, I'd be stupid to pass that up :club:
My roll is $260, so even if you guys are buying a mud hut I want in. :ts