How's this?

There are theories about who the court cards represent. For example, the Queen of Hearts is believed by some to be a representation of Elizabeth of York - the Queen consort of King Henry VII of England. The United States Playing Card Company suggests that in the past, the King of Hearts was Charlemagne, the King of Diamonds was Julius Caesar, the King of Clubs was Alexander the Great, and the King of Spades was the Biblical King David. However the Kings, Queens and Jacks of standard Anglo-American cards today do not represent anyone. They stem from designs produced in Rouen before 1516 and by 1540-67 these Rouen designs show well executed pictures in the court cards with the typical court costumes of the time. In these early cards the Jack of Spades, Jack of Hearts and King of Diamonds are shown from the rear, with their heads turned back over the shoulder so that they are seen in profile. However, the Rouen cards were so badly copied in England that the current designs are gross distortions of the originals.
complete article
  • Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Take this down the street to boredism

I just got berated by some guy in play money PLO on FT while I was playing during lunch at work. I think I managed to get my money in with something like 15-65 outs on the flop against his flopped top 2. I didn't really bother counting outs since I basically knew that he was drawing dead since every card in the deck made me the nuts.Soooooooo..... I proceed to mock him incessantly for the next 15-20 minutes while winning every meaningful pot off of him. It was one of my best lunches in a while.

I just got berated by some guy in play money PLO on FT while I was playing during lunch at work. I think I managed to get my money in with something like 15-65 outs on the flop against his flopped top 2. I didn't really bother counting outs since I basically knew that he was drawing dead since every card in the deck made me the nuts.Soooooooo..... I proceed to mock him incessantly for the next 15-20 minutes while winning every meaningful pot off of him. It was one of my best lunches in a while.
LOL!I love play money tables, everyone seems to know eachother and there's acctualy regulars in certain games.
Ever seen a 1842BB pot in a HU match before?This thread is great. About halfway down, he has the 1850BB pot he played (at 3/6 NL HU) worth $11052 and it's won by a guy with top pair, absolutely no kicker vs Q high.Poker is great.
Yeah, I read that earlier.I'm assuming the opponent is the same all the way through? If so, it's a TERRIBLE semibluff, IMO.Dude isn't folding bottom pair there.
Yeah, I read that earlier.I'm assuming the opponent is the same all the way through? If so, it's a TERRIBLE semibluff, IMO.Dude isn't folding bottom pair there.
yeah I understand heads up is crazy but it doesn't seem like a board you would want to bluff a calling station on... Meh I dunno that is crazy though.That is almost as nuts as the fluffdog thing.
Ever seen a 1842BB pot in a HU match before?This thread is great. About halfway down, he has the 1850BB pot he played (at 3/6 NL HU) worth $11052 and it's won by a guy with top pair, absolutely no kicker vs Q high.Poker is great.
Omg. That guys graph is absolutely disgusting. +14k in 3.5k~ hands playing HU 3/6 and then going into the red in just over 2k hands. I would ****ing kill myself. THAT is why I don't play online poker anymore. If that ever happened to me I think I'd have absolutely no problem blowing my head off. That and losing 10 buy-ins in a one hand semi bluff against the biggest moron ever. Jesus.
That and losing 10 buy-ins in a one hand semi bluff against the biggest moron ever. Jesus.
I would hope you'd not be retarded enough to pull a semibluff like this in this spot vs a moron calling station.
I would hope you'd not be retarded enough to pull a semibluff like this in this spot vs a moron calling station.
Yeah, when I read the hand, I LOL'd because I'm like, how could you semi-bluff there? You've seen how lightly he's called off hundreds and hundreds of BBs at other points in the session, why is this gonna be any different? I am obviously not condoning the play with A6 for obvious reasons, but that guy was clearly the idiot in the match, but in that hand, the QJ guy, who is obv a good player, makes a terrible play becuase he's trying to make the guy fold when he'll never fold.
Omg. That guys graph is absolutely disgusting. +14k in 3.5k~ hands playing HU 3/6 and then going into the red in just over 2k hands. I would ****ing kill myself. THAT is why I don't play online poker anymore. If that ever happened to me I think I'd have absolutely no problem blowing my head off. That and losing 10 buy-ins in a one hand semi bluff against the biggest moron ever. Jesus.
LOL. I hope that this money means nothing to him.That graph is EPIC, baby ... EPIC.
Yeah, when I read the hand, I LOL'd because I'm like, how could you semi-bluff there? You've seen how lightly he's called off hundreds and hundreds of BBs at other points in the session, why is this gonna be any different? I am obviously not condoning the play with A6 for obvious reasons, but that guy was clearly the idiot in the match, but in that hand, the QJ guy, who is obv a good player, makes a terrible play becuase he's trying to make the guy fold when he'll never fold.
Who among us hasn't lost our head and thought, "The calling station will fold this time." Well, maybe not for like 10 billion BBs .... but still ...

"She fell into the guitar stand and dropped the microphone -- it was atrocious. The song dedicated to her husband was so bad it was like swinging a cat round your head."That was a quote from someone talking about the Amy Winehouse concert that she just did. I thought all of the cat lovers here would appreciate that, as well as the cat haters.

That's pretty well said.I actually think the whole thing is ridiculous tbh. All I've ever heard about US politics is that there are so many checks and balances that it's nigh on impossible to change anything, and yet somehow they have managed to try to kill online poker without much trouble at all.I'll have to read up on all of this in full. It just seems to have happened far too easily. Is it due to a flaw in the system?
I'll have to read up on all of this in full. It just seems to have happened far too easily. Is it due to a flaw in the system?
Yes, it's called bill piggybacking which is the absolute worst practice in the United States and needs to be removed completely from the system.Basically the rundown is:We made a bill to protect our ports against terrorists. Everybody in the world said "oh noes! planes! Let's protect our country!" without a second thought. They hid the poker ban inside this bill.
Yes, it's called bill piggybacking which is the absolute worst practice in the United States and needs to be removed completely from the system.Basically the rundown is:We made a bill to protect our ports against terrorists. Everybody in the world said "oh noes! planes! Let's protect our country!" without a second thought. They hid the poker ban inside this bill.
Yeah, I'd kinda picked up that kind of vibe. BTW, I knew about the piggyback thing from The Simpsons. Such an educational program.It seems like a pretty big flaw in the process to be able to tack it onto something popular as long as you can make some vague connection.