I need a few cooler heads to give me some advice on how to deal with a monumental bad run. I keep getting premium hands, play them aggressively pre flop and get sucked out on by garbage.I'm talking about 2/4 NL games, raising from early position with KK and getting sucked out on with KT off suit, repeatedly. Getting hit in set over set situations, repeatedly. It's been ugly.I would say that I'm an intermediate player that has good money management, but it's getting ridiculous. What are some strategies to play out the bad run? Should I move to another game (I like them all, but have found that the NLHE games in my area are the easiest to find and beat consistently), play some sit n go's, or just take a break? Any and all suggestions would be welcome as I am at my wits end. I have analyzed my hand history and feel that I'm still playing solid, so I don't think that's the issue other than rotten luck. Basically, I am looking for distractions.P.S.I am new to this forum, so I may be in the wrong section or just complaining. If that's the case, any moderator should, and presumably would, feel free to move this thread or delete it if necessary.Thanks.

I need a few cooler heads to give me some advice on how to deal with a monumental bad run. I keep getting premium hands, play them aggressively pre flop and get sucked out on by garbage.I'm talking about 2/4 NL games, raising from early position with KK and getting sucked out on with KT off suit, repeatedly. Getting hit in set over set situations, repeatedly. It's been ugly.I would say that I'm an intermediate player that has good money management, but it's getting ridiculous. What are some strategies to play out the bad run? Should I move to another game (I like them all, but have found that the NLHE games in my area are the easiest to find and beat consistently), play some sit n go's, or just take a break? Any and all suggestions would be welcome as I am at my wits end. I have analyzed my hand history and feel that I'm still playing solid, so I don't think that's the issue other than rotten luck. Basically, I am looking for distractions.P.S.I am new to this forum, so I may be in the wrong section or just complaining. If that's the case, any moderator should, and presumably would, feel free to move this thread or delete it if necessary.Thanks.
Play hours, not results. Running bad happens to everyone: it's just your turn. As long as you're playing well, you'll eventually work out of your slump.What advice you'll hear is the following:1. Take a break2. Play different games3. Massage the rabbit's foot4. Play lower stakesThese are only necessary if your results are hurting your play. It doesn't sound like that's the case quite yet.

Eh, when I run bad, it's usually more of a function of playing bad, than it is the cards. It usually starts off with some beats, but it slowly transforms into playing slightly off, which results in a big difference at the tables.I'd look over some hand histories, if you have them, in PokerTracker, ideally, if you have that, and look over your stats, etc, to see if you're playing as well as you could have been.

everyone runs bad from time to time.. all u can do is keep putting your money in good and it will eventually turn around....

Move down to a lower limit until you feel as though you are playing well/running well again. This will allow you to play out of your bad run and not put as much money at risk while you do it.

Eh, when I run bad, it's usually more of a function of playing bad, than it is the cards. It usually starts off with some beats, but it slowly transforms into playing slightly off, which results in a big difference at the tables.
id' just quote this over and over again, but that would be redundant. so go back and read this quote about eleven times to achieve the same effect. if you are losing you are not playing well. period. end of story. maybe you would have lost anyway. but you didnt need to lose so much. or maybe your lose could have been a small win. be honest with yourself. all of those little "ok, well there was that one buyin i totaly ****ed up, and then those 25bbs i called when i knew i was beat, and then...", that **** adds up.

I'd say you probably haven't been playing poker that long if you're just now running into your first bad run. Every player hits walls and will feel like it's impossible to win a hand. The advice so far has been solid. Just keep playing through it, take breaks if the downswing is keeping you from playing your A game, and drop down a limit if the losses are putting your bankroll in danger. And as always, review your hands to look for leaks that need to be plugged.Welcome to the forums!

When things aren't going well for me in cash games, I usually switch to HU sngs. It works well for me. (and vise versa)Try it.Gabe

Others will disagree with this but just make another name and run off that one because I believe some names are just marked for bad runs at times... Like i said others will disagree... but try it...

Others will disagree with this but just make another name and run off that one because I believe some names are just marked for bad runs at times... Like i said others will disagree... but try it...
Just checking.... you are saying multi accounting is the best way to deal with a bad run?And to poster don't try it if this is what is meant. Totally useless info.
lol.
Yeah I've also heard there's this one guy where if you transfer him 20 (50 works even better) you will get your bad run turned off. I think his name is psujohn. On stars or ftp. 20 will work but 50 is better. If you're playing 200 NL or higher I'd suggest sending 100. It can't hurt and if you get that doom switch turned off it'll save you money in the long run.
Yeah I've also heard there's this one guy where if you transfer him 20 (50 works even better) you will get your bad run turned off. I think his name is psujohn. On stars or ftp. 20 will work but 50 is better. If you're playing 200 NL or higher I'd suggest sending 100. It can't hurt and if you get that doom switch turned off it'll save you money in the long run.
yea definitely, I sent him 200 bucks and I won an MTT that night... amazing
are you the same guy who said betting and raising every single time it's on you in a limit tourney makes the program give you better cards?