wpt announcers- gotta love em

Norman Chad is still the most hilarious announcer ever to commentate on such a great sport. I'm STILL laughing at the comment he made in this past WSOP about him marrying a chick that worked at Jiffy Lube. AHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Norman Chad may seem stupid, but he has a real knack for relating poker to real life, so that non-players can understand the emotion of the game. For instance, I once heard him comment, after seeing AA flop a third A against KK, that "KK can still win, but there is a better chance of my first wife coming back to me." That's what people like to hear! There was this other time, where Phil Ivey was studying a player for a long time. It was a tense moment, but luckily Norman lightened it up by saying "this staredown is lasting longer than my first marriage, Lon." That's funny!Then there were these 300 other times when Norman Chad referenced his failed marriage! Sometimes he even talks about how he's bad at poker! I'd rather have Fran Drescher do commentary than listen to that guy.

Norman Chad may seem stupid, but he has a real knack for relating poker to real life, so that non-players can understand the emotion of the game. For instance, I once heard him comment, after seeing AA flop a third A against KK, that "KK can still win, but there is a better chance of my first wife coming back to me." That's what people like to hear! There was this other time, where Phil Ivey was studying a player for a long time. It was a tense moment, but luckily Norman lightened it up by saying "this staredown is lasting longer than my first marriage, Lon." That's funny!Then there were these 300 other times when Norman Chad referenced his failed marriage! Sometimes he even talks about how he's bad at poker! I'd rather have Fran Drescher do commentary than listen to that guy.
if its fran drescher in a mini skirt and heels....sold!!!

I think one thing some people need to keep in mind is that a large portion of the WPT TV audience isn't as fluent in poker as most people on this board. Nor do they have as developed an interest in the game. The WPT is being credited as a huge contributor to the undeinable growth in the popularity of hold'em over the last few years; obviously they've done something right.Mike and Vince aren't the greatest sports announcers out there but they turn a game that could potentially be as boring as golf to the passive observer. I say that not to slight golf but as a passive observer rather than fan of it I find watching it boring. Could you imagine if the same guys who do most of the commentating for golf tournaments did the commentating for the WPT? I guarantee you that more people would be in here complaining about the quality of the comentators.

i dont know how you can hate vvp..his comment on TJ being the "paul bunyan" of poker has to be one of the funniest damn things i've ever heard."here comes TJ over the top, and so and so has to respect this raise from TJ, he is the paul bunyan of poker.""TJ comes in for a raise with AQ of hearts, this man is the paul bunyan of poker, and he's raising ever pot!" it's just classic, how the **** is he the paul bunyan of poker??? classic....

I personally like VVP and Mike, but that's probably because I'm an announcer myself. It's their job, they're paid to be over the top and exciting. Have you ever watched a proffesional baseball game? Announcers are the same way on that. You've got the color commentator, the guy that knows little to nothing about the actual game, but is quite good at talking and making insightful comments, and you've t the analyst, the guy that, well, analyzes. He know's his stuff, and in the case of baseball, is usually a former player.Compare this to the WPT. VVP would be the color commentator, and Mike the analyst. And they work well together. They're exciting, and it seems like they're enjoying what they do. Now, they can sometimes say the wrong thing, or play it up a bit too much, but again, this is their job, and you have to remember it's TV. Hard core poker fans are going to watch regardless of the announcers, but that would absolutley kill ratings. VVP and Mike do an incredible job of making the show interesting and explain it in a good way to the poker layman. That's why the WPT made it out of season 1, because people watch it. They don't televise these things for their health, you know.On to Norman Chad and Lon McHeron. Lon I enjoy. Again, he's the color commentator, and I've actually seen him call more than just poker on ESPN. He's good at talking, and they know it. He just got partnered with the wrong guy. All the ex-wife jokes were funny the first time, but please, please, stop. It got old. And fast. Norm needs work in the analyst role, and ESPN needs to find a player who knows poker, not someone who knows how to be funny. Humor should be left to the color comentator, not the analyst.Celebrity Poker Showdown: It's gotten much better. Can't say I care for the poker at all, but Phil Gordon is coming along as an analyst. I saw an episode from what had to have been the first season on CPS, and Phil was the most monotone guy in the world. I couldn't even watch it, it was so horrible. Dave Foley's fine, has a good mix of commentation and humor. All in all, I think ESPN needs Phil Gordon more than CPS. His analyst skills would be much better suited to people who can actually play poker.Then there's all those other shows that I can't really comment on because I honestly haven't really watched many of them. FSN is average from what I've seen, but nowhere near the best. I like the idea on Ultimate Poker thingy on ABC(or something like that) where they have a different player every couple of episodes, but really haven't seen more than half an episode. and lastly, Hollywood Home Game. All I'll say about that is that Phil Laak needs to stick to the poker tables, and keep that hoody over his mouth.

I thought last night they were especially bad, but it was a fairly boring episode it was the equivalent of a blow out, DN had a huge chip lead and never lost it, and we all know how stupid and boring sports anouncers become when the game is already decided.

On to Norman Chad and Lon McHeron. Lon I enjoy. Again, he's the color commentator, and I've actually seen him call more than just poker on ESPN. He's good at talking, and they know it. He just got partnered with the wrong guy. All the ex-wife jokes were funny the first time, but please, please, stop. It got old. And fast. Norm needs work in the analyst role, and ESPN needs to find a player who knows poker, not someone who knows how to be funny. Humor should be left to the color comentator, not the analyst.
you are in the biz. yet you seem to believe that Lon is the color-guy? lol. Wow. If Lon is the color guy his color must be grey.Do you really stand by this comment you made? If so, I'm surprised.

Whoever said the Poker Million guy is right. That guy is so annoying he freaks out over every card. At first it was funny but now I just think he's annoying. :shock: Sexton is ok as an announcer there certainely are worse