How do you explain to someone who doesn't play or understand poker that you don't have a gambling problem because you play poker a lot? It's not like I'm loosing money, I just spend a lot of time playing, and that sort of inteferes with my school work a little, and when i'm paying $12,000 a semester I guess it's more +EV to study for 3 hours then to try and win a $11 180 SnG. Anyway my mom is freaking out and wont give me money for food anymore, lol. I'm sure a lot of you have had to try and explain to someone (parents, girlfriend, wife etc.) who just doesn't understand. On a side note, does that fact that I'm trying to defend myself like this a sign that I DO have a problem? lol. Anyway I emptied my P*'s account and haven't been playing at all lately just to show her it's not a problem, but I really do miss playing, so much that I've even played a couple freerolls, god that was ugly.

If you take mom's food money to pad your bankroll then you got a problem. I'm not sure how you would convince someone you don't, except if you are a winning player say look at my bank statements.

oh no, lol, I don't use any money she gives me to play, I established my bankroll early in the semester with my own money and hadn't put any more into it, I just went broke buying **** and going out to eat at places I shouldn't afford.

oh no, lol, I don't use any money she gives me to play, I established my bankroll early in the semester with my own money and hadn't put any more into it, I just went broke buying **** and going out to eat at places I shouldn't afford.
So you have a spending problem, not a gambling problem.As long as she's giving you money... she does have a right to know what you're doing with it. And if you're gambling AND asking her for more money, what is she supposed to assume?2 options.Put your money back online and gamboool, and pay your own way.Or enjoy the support of your mother and live by her rules till you are out from under her completely.Either way, stay in school and study.
I just spend a lot of time playing, and that sort of inteferes with my school work a little,
Denial
How do you explain to someone who doesn't play or understand poker that you don't have a gambling problem because you play poker a lot? It's not like I'm loosing money, I just spend a lot of time playing, and that sort of inteferes with my school work a little, and when i'm paying $12,000 a semester I guess it's more +EV to study for 3 hours then to try and win a $11 180 SnG. Anyway my mom is freaking out and wont give me money for food anymore, lol. I'm sure a lot of you have had to try and explain to someone (parents, girlfriend, wife etc.) who just doesn't understand. On a side note, does that fact that I'm trying to defend myself like this a sign that I DO have a problem? lol. Anyway I emptied my P*'s account and haven't been playing at all lately just to show her it's not a problem, but I really do miss playing, so much that I've even played a couple freerolls, god that was ugly.
1) You do not have to "lose" money for it to be a problem.2) The rest of the bolded phrases indicate that you may have a problem.GL with school.
Ummm.......if you're getting money from your mother for school, food, etc, then you don't have your own money.She is paying you to be a Student, not a poker player.There were at least 3 GLARING grammatical errors in your first post, take some time away from Poker and focus on your primary "job" right now, that of being a student.

If your mom knows about your poker habits it means you are living at home. Stop being a loser and move into the dorms.

I think the fact you said it is getting in the way of school work would indicate to me it is becoming a problem.Concentrate on doing well at school, perhaps set of a routine of only playing Poker one day a week, and obv holidays. Stick to it, education is so much more important that pocket rockets

It doesn't look like the 'getting educated thing' is working out too well judging by your first post. I'd say poker is your best bet for making it big. Follow DN's example and start living the dream.

You either have a gambling problem or a issue of understanding the value of dollar, probably both. Based on $12K tuition per semester it appears your family has been successful. You do not respect what you have, you expect it and since you have not worked for anything of value in your short life spam. You are having trouble accepting the fact you may have a problem.Gambling will always be there, get your education first, make something out of you life, then become a professional gambler.Motto I have always lived by: I have plenty of time to screw up my life, today is not the day to start.Good luck to you...

Its a fine line they think its horrible cuz i play then i win a nice chunk of money and then its bad cuz i have a problem. it really pisses me off sometimes they just dont get a word i tell them they just have their own thiughts

If your mom knows about your poker habits it means you are living at home. Stop being a loser and move into the dorms.
Actually I have my own apartment on campus, I'm 1000 miles from home, going to school at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, and I hail from Charlton, Massachusetts.
You either have a gambling problem or a issue of understanding the value of dollar, probably both. Based on $12K tuition per semester it appears your family has been successful. You do not respect what you have, you expect it and since you have not worked for anything of value in your short life spam. You are having trouble accepting the fact you may have a problem.
Both my parents are relatively unsuccessful small business owners. I don't have much to complain about, I had a decent house and never saw a empty Christmas tree, but I was far from padded with free cash. I worked in a sawmill doing hard labor from the time I was 12 to when I graduated, 10 hours a day, 40 hours a week in the summer. So yeah I had plenty of money but I earned it all myself. As for the tuition, that's all me too. Apart from the dwindling federally subsidized loans they're all personal loans in my name. Poker is a hobby for me, I'm not claiming that it isn't a problem, I'm just claiming that it isn't a gambling problem, If I'm not playing poker I'd be playing other video games or watching TV. Actually I've been wasting my time on just those sorts of things since I stopped playing poker. At least I can make some money playing poker, and If I don't I'm paying a lot less then the cost of a Playstation 3 for unlimited entertainment.
obv problem here. Drop out of school and concentrate on poker. 4 years for a degree: -ev... Winning 10+1 sng's: ++++++EV
lol, I was considering this, my only problem is I'd be starting off $42,000 in the hole from tuition.

Well, if you're paying your own way, and mom has no way to know if you're playing or not... what's the issue?Or why are you asking her for money? If you have to borrow money, you don't need to be gambling.

Oh yeah i forgot to add that part, I have a very open relationship with my mom, I tell her anything and in return she usually trusts me with anything. Anyway I don't have job while I'm in school, and I usually get $1,000 extra on my loans each semester for living expenses, but I went and bought a digital camera and and Filet Mignon at the cheesecake factory, so I'm relatively broke. Like I said I play poker for entertainment, and if I happen to make enough to cash out It's a nice bonus. The point is my mom who usually trusts me, is suspicious of my gambling habits and was reluctant to help me out.

Oh yeah i forgot to add that part, I have a very open relationship with my mom, I tell her anything and in return she usually trusts me with anything. Anyway I don't have job while I'm in school, and I usually get $1,000 extra on my loans each semester for living expenses, but I went and bought a digital camera and and Filet Mignon at the cheesecake factory, so I'm relatively broke. Like I said I play poker for entertainment, and if I happen to make enough to cash out It's a nice bonus. The point is my mom who usually trusts me, is suspicious of my gambling habits and was reluctant to help me out.
A steak set you back $1000? Oh yeah, the camera. That should altogether have equaled no more than $250. You have a gambling problem.
A steak set you back $1000? Oh yeah, the camera. That should altogether have equaled no more than $250. You have a gambling problem.
Lol, the point is I'm not lying about anything, I deposited $200 on Pokerstars and $100 on Full Tilt 2 months ago, and other then the $5 home games i play with my friends I haven't put any more money into poker. Obviously I was being somewhat sarcastic when I mentioned the steak, it was a symbol for the general over budget dining that drained my real life bank roll. Anyway the point of this thread was to get ideas on how to explain to someone who doesn't play poker that it's not the same thing as playing slots, at the level I'm playing I make money if i play well and loose when I don't play well, the variance from luck is not a huge factor. I love poker, as do most of you, so could you give me a break and assume I'm no worse of a gambling addict then any one of us who plays a more then a couple hours a week.

Why do winning players think they can't have a gambling problem? Gambling problems aren't always about money. Put it this way: If gambling is causing you a problem, you have a gambling problem. You spend too much time playing poker, your grades slip. Gambling problem. You spend too much time playing poker, you worry your parents. Gambling problem. You don't have enough cash for food, but you have money for poker. Gambling problem. How serious these problems are, and what you need to do to fix them is up to you and your family. Some problems are easy to fix.http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...st&p=702394

Why do winning players think they can't have a gambling problem? Gambling problems aren't always about money. Put it this way: If gambling is causing you a problem, you have a gambling problem. You spend too much time playing poker, your grades slip. Gambling problem. You spend too much time playing poker, you worry your parents. Gambling problem. You don't have enough cash for food, but you have money for poker. Gambling problem. How serious these problems are, and what you need to do to fix them is up to you and your family. Some problems are easy to fix.http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...st&p=702394
I wouldn't say worrying your parents makes it a problem. Maybe for them, but not necessarily for the individual.
Be friends with/be related to rational humans, that should do it.
How have you managed to completely cut women out of your life?
I wouldn't say worrying your parents makes it a problem. Maybe for them, but not necessarily for the individual.
Well, by the transitive property of problems, you still have a problem. As I said, not all problems are equal, or difficult to solve. Once the OP is fully emancipated, that ceases to be a problem for him.