Off Season Discussion Thread

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off Season highlights:Oden and Durant went 1 and 2, flying in the face of everyone's pre-draft predictions.Orlando virtually capped out on 2 playersRashard Lewis takes his rightful spot in the hall of fame next to Barry Zito.In a day and age when the faster paced styles of the 80's Lakers are making comebacks, New York does the logical thing and goes for the Curry-Randolph front court. Shaq helps fat kids lose weight.Kobe Bryant complains, apologizes, complains and then apologizes again. My worst fear of having this annoying headline play out all summer seems to be coming to fruition.What am I missing?

What am I missing?
Greg Oden's tonsils are the size of golfballs.Steve Francis is so well liked the Blazers pay him 30 mil to go away.Durant is shooting a blazing 25% from the field in preseaon play and getting his shot tossed by D-League players.

I was kind of hoping the Raptors would get him. They need a shot blocker/rebounder who can shoot outside and he's young. But I guess one over paid serbian center is enough.He'll break out of his shell this year. He's not going to be benched in Memphis.

Grant Hill signed on with Phoenix, where rumor has it Kevin Garnett wanted to end up.
I don't think the Garnett deal in Phoenix is going to get done. None of the teams that can facilitate a 3 team trade are places anyone wants to end up.
Oh yea, the Grizzlies signed Darko to a 3 year 21 million dollar contract.That kills me.
I think thats a great deal actually.Just about every team could pay him the mid-level exception around 5 million.So they had to go a bit higher, and keeping it to three years protects them if he doesnt develop any more.At the very least they get a young center that will help on the defensive end.
At the very least they get a young center that will help on the defensive end.
He is like a ghetto version of Gasol at this point.And from what little I've seen him play he seems more comfortable on the offensive end that the defensive end of the court.

Looks like Yi is struggling according to this Summer League Report

Yi Jianlian, Milwaukee Bucks – Instead of Yi not wanting Milwaukee, maybe Milwaukee does not want Yi. The No. 6 pick again struggled, making only one field goal (1-for-5 from the field) and finishing with a mere seven points to go with eight fouls and three turnovers in Team China's blowout loss to Boston. Yi still has a ton of potential, but there are now serious concerns over when he will fulfill it.

I try to make a point not to wish ill on others, but I think karma would definitely be fulfilled if Yi turns into a journeryman and is forced to play for whomever is willing to take him. You can't go around demanding to play for certain teams. Especially if you're an unproven commodity that wants to play the hardest position in the game.It probably won't happen though. He'll go where he wants and be an average to above average 1 or 2 time all-star or some such thing.

Oh yea, the Grizzlies signed Darko to a 3 year 21 million dollar contract.That kills me.
Basketball in Memphis is saved!!
I try to make a point not to wish ill on others, but I think karma would definitely be fulfilled if Yi turns into a journeryman and is forced to play for whomever is willing to take him. You can't go around demanding to play for certain teams. Especially if you're an unproven commodity that wants to play the hardest position in the game.It probably won't happen though. He'll go where he wants and be an average to above average 1 or 2 time all-star or some such thing.
On the same token, Basketball is a winter sport... and it IS Milwaukie.Life would have been better for Yi if Seattle would have just taken him at 5. Pacific Rimsville up there, Ichiro is adored, huge Asian population.... It would have saved Basketball in Seattle Oklahoma City!
I don't think the Garnett deal in Phoenix is going to get done. None of the teams that can facilitate a 3 team trade are places anyone wants to end up.
I think it's hilarious that Garnett (his agent probably) targetted Phoenix, the one team who's ownership has their heads so far up their collective posteriers that they *gave* portland James Jones and are seriously going to let either Marion or Stoudamire jet/be traded because of cap issues. I mean, Nash is no spring Chicken.. Stoudamire and Marion are top-tier talents.And Garnett expects PHX to pony up $20+ million of their $55 mil in capspace for him? Who's going to be left to play with him? Once Nash wears down, he'll have his Minnesota situation all over again. Personally, I find it hilarious one of the pennultimate cheapskate teams in pro sports is the target destination of a guy making $20 mil plus a year. What a joke. Were the Clippers not returning his calls?

I dont mind Howard getting big money. A lot of that is based on his age (21) and potential, but I think its justifiable. At the end of his contract, he'll be hitting his prime. If he improves like I think he will, he should be considered a bargain by then.With Darko, I dont think his signing is that bad. Money's based on potential, and its just for three years. And I think the Grizzlies needed to roll the dice a little bit being out West. That said, I dont think Darko will ever live up to his potential. He just doesnt seem to have the heart.

With Darko, I dont think his signing is that bad. Money's based on potential, and its just for three years. And I think the Grizzlies needed to roll the dice a little bit being out West. That said, I dont think Darko will ever live up to his potential. He just doesnt seem to have the heart.
Darko should never have been selected 2nd in that draft, ahead of Carmelo, Wade, Bosh, and the like. The NBA was (and pretty much still is) in love with 7 footers, as well as imports. Melo, Wade and Bosh were essentially sure things, tangible commodities. Darko was the kind of risk a team picking in the 5th spot on should roll the dice on. Factor in that Detroit already had Wallace, Wallace, and Okur, and it's a true head scratcher. Didn't make sense to me then, and doesn't make sense to me now.That said, Darko could be a solid NBA player, he's still only like 22 or so, impossible to close the book on him at this point. Don't the Grizz have like Conley Jr, Miller, Gasol, and Milicic? They could hit 30 wins next year.. Add another piece and ya never know. Make it a piece that can play defense, and then we can talk.
Darko should never have been selected 2nd in that draft, ahead of Carmelo, Wade, Bosh, and the like. The NBA was (and pretty much still is) in love with 7 footers, as well as imports. Melo, Wade and Bosh were essentially sure things, tangible commodities. Darko was the kind of risk a team picking in the 5th spot on should roll the dice on. Factor in that Detroit already had Wallace, Wallace, and Okur, and it's a true head scratcher. Didn't make sense to me then, and doesn't make sense to me now.
Bosh might have weighed 200 pounds soaking wet when he was drafted. Sort of in the position Brandon Wright is in. Wade was under the radar and I think billed as a combo backcourt guard and there might be a bit of fudging to list him at 6'4. A 7 footer with a single iota of post skill goes ahead of those two any day of the week. A handful of skills and you're billed as the 5th best center of all time before your first game (Oden). Not taking Carmelo was obviously a bad move. Even at the time. More so now. But now way Darko was slipping past 3. The reason Detroit took him is you don't draft for need. They just didn't realize the NCAA champ with a freak of nature scoring ability was somehow going to be a superstar scoring champion.
They just didn't realize the NCAA champ with a freak of nature scoring ability was somehow going to be a superstar scoring champion.
Or they were more worried about defense, and Mello is known for slacking on that end of the court.
Bosh might have weighed 200 pounds soaking wet when he was drafted. Sort of in the position Brandon Wright is in. Wade was under the radar and I think billed as a combo backcourt guard and there might be a bit of fudging to list him at 6'4. A 7 footer with a single iota of post skill goes ahead of those two any day of the week. A handful of skills and you're billed as the 5th best center of all time before your first game (Oden). Not taking Carmelo was obviously a bad move. Even at the time. More so now. But now way Darko was slipping past 3. The reason Detroit took him is you don't draft for need. They just didn't realize the NCAA champ with a freak of nature scoring ability was somehow going to be a superstar scoring champion.
Ok, let's not mention "freak of nature scoring ability","200 pounds soaking wet", and then toss in how overrated Oden is in the same sentence. I'm from Portland, I wanted (and still want) Durant, and you just made me throw up in my mouth a little.I long for the day when "hands down the best player in college basketball last year" weighs more heavily in decision making processes than "ya just can't teach heighth... yeeee haw!".Just to jab back, what made the Detroit travesty 10x worse was Larry Brown at head coach. LB has always been known to be kryptonite to young players, the last thing in the world Dumars should have been looking for was a "project" to put under LB's tutelage. Complete recipe for disaster.
Or they were more worried about defense, and Mello is known for slacking on that end of the court.
Worried about defense, so they draft a soft, fruity, top of the key jump shooter? Who plays the same position as your two best interior defenders (Wallace x2)?
Worried about defense, so they draft a soft, fruity, top of the key jump shooter? Who plays the same position as your two best interior defenders (Wallace x2)?
You know what they say, you can't teach 7 feet.
You know what they say, you can't teach footwork to a 7 footer.
FYP. Actually my favorite is the "huge upside" guy who has "a raw" (english translation: no) offensive game.
Just to jab back, what made the Detroit travesty 10x worse was Larry Brown at head coach. LB has always been known to be kryptonite to young players, the last thing in the world Dumars should have been looking for was a "project" to put under LB's tutelage. Complete recipe for disaster.
Thats accurate and wrong at the same time, if he was bad with "project" players, he never would have won a championship in college. As a pro coach he always favored veterans, that doesn't mean a young player was incapable of developing underneath him.
Thats accurate and wrong at the same time, if he was bad with "project" players, he never would have won a championship in college. As a pro coach he always favored veterans, that doesn't mean a young player was incapable of developing underneath him.
The list of rookies who saw court time under Larry Brown pretty much begins and ends with Danny Manning, doesn't it?