who else goes broke here...

Final table of a 50+10 live charity nlhe tournament. 9 tables paying out top 9 (final table). 6 players left, blinds 1k-2k i have 19.5k. The tables been pretty tight for the most part. But I've played pretty agressively raising and picking up pots since I was on the shortstack to start the final table. I'm second to act with A :D Q :D . I open for 6k. The big blind is also the chip leader with around 40k. Its folded around to him and he re-raises me another 10k to 16k total. I go into the tank. At first I thought hes just tired of laying down his bb. But he hasnt put many chips at risk without a hand. I can't call, only go all-in or fold leaving me with 13.5k. I think to myself, I can double up to just under40k and take the chip lead. In which case I'm willing to gamble against JJ, TT, or other pairs that I have 2 suited overs. I stick my last 3k in the pot and he turns over K :) K :D . xxxxxxxxxxxxx!!! No help and I'm out in 6th .I wasnt too upset with myself, I play to win and theres always another tournament.I'll just have to win tomorrows tourny. :club:

Final table of a 50+10  live charity nlhe tournament. 9 tables paying out top 9 (final table).  6 players left, blinds 1k-2k  i have 19.5k.  The tables been pretty tight for the most part. But I've played pretty agressively  raising and picking up pots since I was on the shortstack to start the final table.  I'm second to act with A :D  Q :D . I open for 6k.  The big blind  is also the chip leader with around 40k. Its folded around to him and he re-raises me another 10k to 16k total. I go into the tank. At first I thought hes just tired of laying down his bb.  But he hasnt put many chips at risk without a hand. I can't call, only go all-in or fold leaving me with 13.5k.  I think to myself, I can  double up to just under40k and take the chip lead. In which case I'm willing to gamble against JJ, TT, or other pairs that I have 2 suited overs.  I stick my last 3k in the pot and he turns over K :) K :D .  xxxxxxxxxxxxx!!! No help and I'm out in 6th .I wasnt too upset with myself, I play to win and theres always another tournament.I'll just have to win tomorrows tourny.   :club:
If I had your initial read that he was just protecting his blind then I would definitely go broke. There are only a few hands in which you are in bad shape here. I dont blame your move at all especially since if you win this pot you are the chip leader. In tournaments sometimes you have to gamble and unfortunately for you, you ran into a guy who held KK.
If I had your initial read that he was just protecting his blind then I would definitely go broke.  There are only a few hands in which you are in bad shape here.  I dont blame your move at all especially since if you win this pot you are the chip leader.  In tournaments sometimes you have to gamble and unfortunately for you, you ran into a guy who held KK.
I agree, to an extent. Yes, you want to gamble in the later stages. In fact you have to gamble. But wouldn't you rather gamble when you think you're a favorite?
"I'm second to act with A :club:  Q :D . I open for 6k."  "he re-raises me another 10k to 16k total.""he hasnt put many chips at risk without a hand."
No, I don't go broke.
Ha, exactly what I was thinking....

I'm thinking I push befero I even consider putting in 30% o f my stack with a rasie. Considerig everyone else should know that you have a big hand and trying to extract a call, a re-raise screams" Hey I've got you beat"

If you read him for a blind protect or any pair below QQ....You CANNOT FOLD THERE.With blinds as high as they were in your situation...YOU MUST RACE on occasion.....Once you raised to 6k.....it was over right there.

Yeah, if you had a larger stack relative to the blinds, you could just call and see if you flop a pair or flush draw. But with <10 BBs, you are basically pot committed as soon as you raise.

If you read him for a blind protect or any pair below QQ....You CANNOT FOLD THERE.With blinds as high as they were in your situation...YOU MUST RACE on occasion.....Once you raised to 6k.....it was over right there.
Yes. What Alf said here. I go broke in that spot and in those circumstances as well. You gotta gamble sometime and you had a good hand to do it. You got unlucky.

Let's just call this "According to Harrington"You've got 19.5k, there's 3k in the pot preflop, which means you have an M (size of your stack divided by the size of the pot) of 6.5. Since the play is a bit shorthanded, your adjusted M is only 2/3 as big (number of players left divided by max table size, in this case 6/9), or 4.3. You are in the red zone, which is, to say the least, bad news bears. You need to start putting some chips together.Once you put in a raise to 6k, you're committed to the hand, since there's now 9k in the pot, 13.5k in your stack, and anyone who raises you all in puts in 16.5k themselves, making the pot 25.5k. You're getting 1.89 to 1 odds on that call, there are only a few hands that you're more than that significant of an underdog to beat. In this situation, KK is only a 2.11 to 1 favorite. So *if* you're up against AA, KK, QQ, or AK those are the ONLY situations where a call would not be correct. Even then, QQ is only 1.9 to 1 to beat you. I think you just have to hope that you get lucky enough to suck out. Come to think of it, he was the BB, so there's only 23.5k in the pot, giving you odds of 1.74 to 1. Er... well, I don't think that changes anything, really. You've still got odds to call, hoping that you can suck out on whatever you're up against. I don't think you can fold... folding puts you at 13.5k, and with blinds totalling 3k, you're dropped to an M of 4.5 and an effective M of 3. This makes your situation even worse. Blinds come around in two hands, dropping your stack to 10.5k (if your blind hands are unplayable, for whatever reason) and your M to a meager 3.5, 2.3 effective. Now, if you get lucky enough to have a good hand in the next two hands, and lucky enough to double through with it, you're only doubling up to ~27k (plus blinds). After that point, you're only doubling to around 20k. I think it's much better to try to double 19.5k now, than try to play with 10.5k later.In conclusion, yeah, you go broke here. In the red zone, AQs is a fine hand to go ape-shit with.

Guest XXEddie

your 6kSB 1kchip leader's 19.5k(ok. he only bet 16, but hes calling your allin with 72 so the extra 3k is already in the pot)total pot of 27.5kyou have 13.5k to call(again, you can only go allin or fold, cant call)youre getting over 2-1If my opponent showed me his KK face up, im still calling getting those oddscall.

your 6kSB 1kchip leader's 19.5k(ok. he only bet 16, but hes calling your allin with 72 so the extra 3k is already in the pot)total pot of 27.5kyou have 13.5k to call(again, you can only go allin or fold, cant call)youre getting over 2-1If my opponent showed me his KK face up, im still calling getting those oddscall.
Oh crap that's right, when I was typing I accidentally typed 16.5k is how much anyone who raised you all in would put it, instead of the 19.5k that would have been the actual number. Yeah you are getting about 2-1 on your money. My math sez: his 19.5 + the sb's 1 + your original 6 = 26.5k, but 1k off is close enough for government work.
Either limp, push or fold PF with yuor stack.From EP..I'd fold this pf in your situation.You've committed yourself with the 6000, 1/3 of your stack.
Guest XXEddie
Either limp, push or fold PF with yuor stack.From EP..I'd fold this pf in your situation.You've committed yourself with the 6000, 1/3 of your stack.
no, considering the chip leaders stack was only 20xBB i wouldnt be surprised if OP was in 3rd
no, considering the chip leaders stack was only 20xBB i wouldnt be surprised if OP was in 3rd
what are you "no"'ing?
bad news bears.  good filmall i understood
Alright in a nutshell: When you have a small stack, you play your hands much more aggressively. You want to avoid getting in a situation where your chip stack is so small you're basically out of the tournament. So when you're on a short stack, you're playing pretty much any good hand to the end. You can't raise then fold, because you're just making your stack smaller. When you have a smaller stack and you finally get that good hand, you won't be able to win as many chips, and with fewer chips in front of you the worse chance you have to win.I would rather have a 30% chance to double up 20k than a 50% chance to double up 10k. The first way, there's a possibility that I become a big stack at the table with a reasonable chance to win the tourney - big risk, big reward. The second way, there's a 50% chance that all I did was get right back where I started - some risk, little reward.M is a measure of how many more rounds you can play before you go broke. When your M is between 1 and 5, you're in a situation where you almost have to go all-in or fold. When you go all-in, your chances of winning the pot increase since you might run everyone off, so you can play considerably looser than you would if you had a bigger stack. With a higher M, from 6-10, you can play a little bit more selectively, but you're still in a sticky situation. With an M of 10-20, you're doing good and you can still be cagey with your chips; you can actually raise preflop and fold, and still be in a good situation. 20+ is where you just play your best poker. Say you have a stack of 20 million, but the blinds are 5 and 10 million... your stack looks huge, but you're about to go broke. So instead of saying "I have a stack of 20 million", which communicates basically nothing, you say "I have an M of 1.33", which communicates that you're in big trouble.However, when it gets shorthanded, your actual number of laps left around the table is smaller, since there are fewer hands between times you're in the blinds. An M of 8 at a full table means you get rougly 80 hands before you're blinded off. However, if your M is 8 and there's 5 players, there's only 40 hands before you go broke, and you have to play accordingly; effectively, your M is only 4.That isn't "In a nutshell" at all, is it?(for the record, now I've made two quite long, mostly useless posts)
I've got to disagree with this statement. You would fold AQs preflop with four players left to act behind you?What situation are you looking for? A better hand? A more favorable position? Less chips? More chips? I think this is a fine play with AQs two off the button with about 10x the bb in chips. I guess if you had less chips, you could argue pushing all in preflop and letting it ride, since AQs is generally considered to be a good hand 6-handed, or if you had more chips you could argue that you could raise and fold to any big reraise.You say "early position", but position is much more a factor of how far off the button you are than how far from the blinds you are. When it's three handed and you're on the button, do you consider yourself early position or on the button?

I just think the actual bet was the worst play given his stack.Pushing PF is better.Folding is BetterLimping is Better, probably.that's all I meant.Depending on Pay structure and other stacks...I do one of the 3.I don't riase to 6k