Anaheim Vs Vancouver

Yeah, just messing with you. I'm probably the biggest Friesen hater around. Guy was just terrible in Anaheim.
i loved friesen when he was in jersey, weird to see how badly his offensive game has waned.
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a nice puck moving defenseman but I don't get his appeal really. I've never seen him come up with a big defensive play in a big spot and at times the polar opposite. I'd rather have Chris Phillips honestly. That being said I hope they beat NJ.
I find that it's only because he's so sound positionally that he never has to make a big defensive play. He's just so smooth out there, people only tend to notice the occasional (and inevitable) mistake. Whenever he's caught scrambling, it's pretty much always because he's covering for somebody's else's screwup.Plus, he has the babiest of baby faces, makes it pretty tough to earn respect...I wish he had Scott Niedermayer's beard !
He's a nice puck moving defenseman but I don't get his appeal really. I've never seen him come up with a big defensive play in a big spot and at times the polar opposite. I'd rather have Chris Phillips honestly. That being said I hope they beat NJ.
I would take him in Pittsburgh in a second (not that we need another nice puck moving d-man that can't make a big D play....cough*Gonchar*cough), but he's just not a "superstar", IMO.
i loved friesen when he was in jersey, weird to see how badly his offensive game has waned.
He has the mentality of a Euro superstar without the superstar ability it seems. He seems to play well when conditions are perfectly to his liking which seemed to be early in his SJ career and the postseason in NJ. You must admit he wasn't good during his final season in NJ, at least I didn't think so. He takes soooooo many games off and doesn't help in other ways so he's pretty much useless when he's bored, ineffective and doesn't want to be there. I'm sure he gets a pass from Devils fans for the '03 playoff run though.
He has the mentality of a Euro superstar without the superstar ability it seems. He seems to play well when conditions are perfectly to his liking which seemed to be early in his SJ career and the postseason in NJ. You must admit he wasn't good during his final season in NJ, at least I didn't think so. He takes soooooo many games off and doesn't help in other ways so he's pretty much useless when he's bored, ineffective and doesn't want to be there. I'm sure he gets a pass from Devils fans for the '03 playoff run though.
yeh he wasnt great in his final season but you are right, when i think of friesen i think of game 7 of the 2003 finals on a line with rupp and langenbrunner. friesen potted the 3rd and had an assist on both the others i believe.

There is no GM in the NHL that wouldn't take Getzlaf over Fisher, in fact there are quite a few that would take Getzlaf over Alfredsson.... the knock against Fisher is he doesn't think the game very well... As for the defense debate, I'd give Anaheim the edge because of Neidermeyer/Pronger. HOWEVER.... in the playoffs so far, I'd say that Wade Redden has probably played better than Neidermeyer. Neidermeyer really has not been playing well.

Neidermeyer really has not been playing well.
I can't remember if it was game 1 or 2, but he looked like me out there for 1/2 his shifts. Lost at times.
There is no GM in the NHL that wouldn't take Getzlaf over Fisher, in fact there are quite a few that would take Getzlaf over Alfredsson.... the knock against Fisher is he doesn't think the game very well... As for the defense debate, I'd give Anaheim the edge because of Neidermeyer/Pronger. HOWEVER.... in the playoffs so far, I'd say that Wade Redden has probably played better than Neidermeyer. Neidermeyer really has not been playing well.
Agreed he's been a turnover machine as well, please use your power and influence to return him to normal. thx.
Agreed he's been a turnover machine as well, please use your power and influence to return him to normal. thx.
I'm just a simple country doctor, Jim, not a miracle worker... I HEAR he may have an injured wrist...
I'm just a simple country doctor, Jim, not a miracle worker... I HEAR he may have an injured wrist...
lies!...just an upper body injury...nothing to see here.
I bet I also couldn't find one pro scout that wouldn't trade Fisher for Getzlaf. Getzlaf will be a dominant hockey force as early as next season. He has no weaknesses. He has a good chance to be the best player to come out of one of the best drafts in league history....and he gets lots of chicks. gg.
I have to agree with everything except the chicks part. I just can't confirm it.
I have to agree with everything except the chicks part. I just can't confirm it.
I'm pretty sure it was him, Lupul and McDonald that got some of the ice chicks fired....prolly mostly Lupul's fault though right Edmonton?
From Scotty Bowman's nbc.com blog :I concur.I know my boys don't get much respect around here, but I can't see anybody honestly thinking that the Ducks are head and shoulders above any team still left in the final 8, let alone the Sens.Alfredsson = SelanneSpezza >> McDonaldHeatley >>> KunitzFisher <<<< GetzlafComrie <<< PennerSchaefer = PerryVermette, Kelly, Neil <<< Niedermayer, Moen, PahlssonSchubert, McAmmond, Saprykin = (who cares they don't play) Shannon, May, ThorntonOn D, the Ducks do have a slight edge because of Pronger and Niedermayer, but not on depth :Niedermayer, Beauchemin > Redden, MeszarosPronger, O'Donnell > Phillips, VolchenkovCorvo, Priessing >>>(once again who cares they don't play) DiPenta, HuskinsIn net,Emery < GiguèreI rest my case. Defense counsel, you may proceed...
this is a joke right.See Bolded Changes for correct version.Alfredsson and Selanne are even. 2 veteran europeans. I agree with your Spezza > McDonald and Heatley over Kunitz but that is the end of you being right.Getzlaf is a way better player than Fisher. You want a fast skating checking center in this league of average size, they are a dime a dozen.Mike Comrie is not worth half the $$ he is paid. He has picked it up a bit by being a little more agressive in the playoffs but his great vision with the puck does not make up for his lack of size and speed which hurts him terribly in his own end. There is a reason why Edmonton wouldn't resign him.The Ducks 3rd line has a Defensive Trophy nominee and plays against the best line of the other teams every night. The Vermette line is a plug line. We all know that the Fisher line is the shut down line. No contest here. The Vermette, Kelly and Neil line should be compared to the Penner, Getzlaf and Perry line. This is a huge edge to the Ducks. Then the Fisher line would be compared to the Pahlsson line which is about even.This slight edge on D is a huge edge when you consider the amount of playing time that Pronger and Niedermeyer get. You don't worry about your 5th and 6th d when they only have to play against the Vermette line. Unless of course one of the big 2 get hurt then it's a whole new ballgame.The Emery/Giguere comparison made me laugh. How soon we forget the Ducks in the Stanley Cup carried by Giguere. He set the record for consecutive shut out minutes in OT. I heard last night on TSN that of the 8 goalies left Emery was ranked 8th in save%. Sure the Senators have a stingy defense but don't count on Emery to get you out of trouble or you will be burned like last year when he was severely outplayed by Miller the whole series.I've heard of blinders about your own team but this post was ridiculous.
this is a joke right.See Bolded Changes for correct version.Alfredsson and Selanne are even. 2 veteran europeans. I agree with your Spezza > McDonald and Heatley over Kunitz but that is the end of you being right.Getzlaf is a way better player than Fisher. You want a fast skating checking center in this league of average size, they are a dime a dozen.Mike Comrie is not worth half the $$ he is paid. He has picked it up a bit by being a little more agressive in the playoffs but his great vision with the puck does not make up for his lack of size and speed which hurts him terribly in his own end. There is a reason why Edmonton wouldn't resign him.The Ducks 3rd line has a Defensive Trophy nominee and plays against the best line of the other teams every night. The Vermette line is a plug line. We all know that the Fisher line is the shut down line. No contest here. The Vermette, Kelly and Neil line should be compared to the Penner, Getzlaf and Perry line. This is a huge edge to the Ducks. Then the Fisher line would be compared to the Pahlsson line which is about even.This slight edge on D is a huge edge when you consider the amount of playing time that Pronger and Niedermeyer get. You don't worry about your 5th and 6th d when they only have to play against the Vermette line. Unless of course one of the big 2 get hurt then it's a whole new ballgame.The Emery/Giguere comparison made me laugh. How soon we forget the Ducks in the Stanley Cup carried by Giguere. He set the record for consecutive shut out minutes in OT. I heard last night on TSN that of the 8 goalies left Emery was ranked 8th in save%. Sure the Senators have a stingy defense but don't count on Emery to get you out of trouble or you will be burned like last year when he was severely outplayed by Miller the whole series.I've heard of blinders about your own team but this post was ridiculous.
What generally annoys me with your view is that the Sens were branded a soft, young, inexperienced team for years. Their previous playoff failures are well documented and I don't really disagree that it was a young core that was our downfall. Now, these rookies and sophomores (i.e. Penner, Getzlaf and Perry) are being tagged as being way better hockey players than our 5+ season veterans, that have gone though these playoff wars several times before...Hey this is playoff hockey, NOW. These young Ducks forwards have plenty of upside but they are not even close to their physical prime. By the time the Stanley Cup final comes around, the edge the Sens have on depth will really become more of a factor. Hey, I wasn't the one making the comment about the Ducks playing only three lines, it's Scotty Bowman for cryin' out loud...And yes, I do care about the #3 defensive pair having to go out against Vermette's line. Every weakness is exposed in playoff hockey, you can't just say "ah, whatever, they hardly play, not a factor..."And...how soon we forget how Giguère lost his #1 goalie status to Bryzgalov in last years playoffs. Giguère is one of those classic François Allaire coached goalies, he plays the odds. Emery is a new breed athletic goalie that is way more dynamic out there than a guy like Giguère. We can argue either sides forever, which is why i say it's a wash.The Ducks aren't the be all, end all of a hockey team...easy there, big rig...
Any post that says Fisher>Getzlaf ends my viewing abruptly. Getzlaf's been the best Ducks forward all playoffs AINEC.
Getzlaf is good, don't get me wrong, but 9 games does not a career make. I'll give him the edge in stickhandling and flashyness, FWIW. However, Fisher is the total package, great shot (lore says his wrister has been clocked at 90+ MPH), blazing speed, great balance, relentless forecheck/backcheck/gap control, hard hitter, excellent passer and better than average faceoff man. Unfortunately, he has always been in the role of shutdown center and plays the game the John Madden way, always sacrificing offense for defense. Being a great hockey player is not all about putting up points. I'll bet that you couldn't find a pro scout or GM that wouldn't want Fisher on their team.Your claim to AINEC is ludicrous imo.
SilverSeven, I don't think you read the post. I think you thought you saw someone claiming Getzlaf was a lot better than Fisher and immediately became defensive. 7s7c claimed that Getzlaf has been the best Ducks forward AINEC...not that Getzlaf was better than Fisher AINEC.IMO...offensively, Anaheim's D is a lot better than Ottawa's. I'd give Ottawa the edge defensively though.Also, I'd take Getzlaf over Fisher in a heartbeat.
From Scotty Bowman's nbc.com blog :I concur.I know my boys don't get much respect around here, but I can't see anybody honestly thinking that the Ducks are head and shoulders above any team still left in the final 8, let alone the Sens.Vermette, Kelly, Neil > Niedermayer, Moen, Pahlsson
Let's set aside all the other disputes I have with your post and focus on just this part.The third line on the ducks is possibly the best shut down line in the entire nhl. Pahlsson may be the best defensive forward in the entire NHL.

The ducks are in great position to move on, and its gonna be all J.S. tonight with a goal from Andy Mac. and that should do it. Damn sharks should be in the same position(G.D. Losers).

The ducks are in great position to move on, and its gonna be all J.S. tonight with a goal from Andy Mac. and that should do it. Damn sharks should be in the same position(G.D. Losers).
just quoting so I can reuse later. if you guess all three two (great position is just stating the obvious) I'll be impressed.I think you'll be wrong.

Vancouver has been playing well, despite the losses. I believe they can make the comeback. It won't be easy, they will need Luongo to steal a game and Naslund to continue his strong play.

just quoting so I can reuse later. if you guess all three two (great position is just stating the obvious) I'll be impressed.I think you'll be wrong.
I hate the Canucks so bad! That is all. (you did this to yourself)

I love how this thread has turned into "How will Anaheim do in the next round" Maybe we should wait for them to finish off the Nucks first eh?Anyone remember?94 Calgary up 3-1 OTLOTLOTLGG FlamesI BELIEVE!

The fact that they are losing this game has NOTHING to do with the officiating.EDIT - Oh snap.
Are you serious?! Did you not see the goal?Luongo is a man possessed. Yes, we're playing like **** and it should STILL be 1-0 Nucks. AINEC