Rip Kurt Vonnegut

I certainly think I have better taste in lit than anyone else on the form, but I realize that there's still some subjectivism at play, and I think you're projecting a little, there.
Love yourself much?
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as much as I love a good pretentiousness argument, can we clear this thread of that clutter. Kurt Vonnegut was one of those gateway authors for me. One of the ones that I read that took me from genre fiction into literary fiction ( along with Orwell). While I liked some "literary" works before Vonnegut, I never really loved them. I never felt a deep psychological, emotional and philosophical connection to an author like I did with KV. I became obsessed with his work, and plowed through it. At his worst, he was still incredibly witty. At his best, he revolutionized the art form. I can't understate what a landmark book I think Breakfast of Champions is. I understand that KV was an accessible writer, so a lot of "posers" or what ever read him to seem literary, but so what? Hopefully they got something beautiful out of it. Alot of literary fiction is very difficult reading , written for a very limited audience. I think KV's egalitarianism while at the same time maintaining artistic integrity is the miracle of his work. I think our society is having an increasingly short attention span. I think TV is part to do with it, but the internet is accelerating this short attention span at an amazing rate. this was the first internet forum I ever really ventured into, and when the Krablar thread was one of my first posts, one of the things that I was shocked by was the complaints about how long the post was, and that people skipped it because of it's length. I mean, it was all of a page, page and a half of most lit. fiction, and people couldn't be bothered with reading it. I don't necessarily think this short attention span is evil or the mark of the intellectual down fall of western society. It just is. I personally don't care about the motivation of a KV fan, why they read it and what image they want to present, that has no bearing on his genius. I just want his works to be read and last as long as possible, because I think they are, if anything, even more relevant to contemporary life.
Had no one else on the forum been a Vonnegut fan, would've pointed out that Vonny was the first lit writer I ever loved, too. I would've noted that although I love DFW maybe more, no author ever has or ever will hit home with me like KV; those awesome moments where authors show you weird thoughts and what not that you thought only you had – Vonny gave me more of those per page than anyone, and there isn't a challenger. But, I really am pissed off by most KV fans I know, because they don't even get it, and I enjoy being inappropriate and converse, and I was bored, thus at internet fight was provoked. I just can't bring myself to join the forum in melancholy rememberence, joining hands to put together some kind of quote-filled e-vigil. It's not my style.
Had no one else on the forum been a Vonnegut fan, would've pointed out that Vonny was the first lit writer I ever loved, too. I would've noted that although I love DFW maybe more, no author ever has or ever will hit home with me like KV; those awesome moments where authors show you weird thoughts and what not that you thought only you had – Vonny gave me more of those per page than anyone, and there isn't a challenger. But, I really am pissed off by most KV fans I know, because they don't even get it, and I enjoy being inappropriate and converse, and I was bored, thus at internet fight was provoked. I just can't bring myself to join the forum in melancholy rememberence, joining hands to put together some kind of quote-filled e-vigil. It's not my style.
LOL Fair enough
So, how about that Tom Robbins dude?
Oh yeah, I was gonna make a thread about him awhile back. He's probably too pedestrian for these jerks (jk, sort of), but he rocks.

As soon as I heard this I thought of Dutch...I hate to admit it but I think I read one short story in high school and that was it. Yes, both admissions are pretty pathetic.