Rip Kurt Vonnegut

Diane: Whoever *did* write this doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut![cut to Thornton's dorm suite]Thornton Melon: [on the phone] ... and *another* thing, Vonnegut! I'm gonna stop payment on the cheque![Kurt tells him off]Thornton Melon: **** me? Hey, Kurt, can you read lips, ***** you*! Next time I'll call Robert Ludlum![hangs up]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's to hoping Dutch and Bigdmcgee don't kill themselves over this
I was thinking the same thing.In Vonnegut's memory, I will read Slaughterhouse Five after finals.

RIP KurtWriter Kurt Vonnegut dies at 84One of the outstanding figures of modern US literature, Kurt Vonnegut, has died aged 84 in New York.He became a cult figure among students in the 1960s and 1970s with his classics of US counterculture. He wrote plays, essays and short fiction.The defining moment of his life was the firebombing of Dresden, in Germany, by allied forces in 1945 - an event he witnessed as a young prisoner of war.His experience was the basis of his best-known work, Slaughterhouse Five. SELECTED VONNEGUT BOOKSPlayer Piano (1952)The Sirens Of Titan (1959)Slaughterhouse-Five (1969)Breakfast Of Champions (1973)Jailbird (1979)Deadeye **** (1982)Timequake (1996)It was published in 1969 against the backdrop of the war in Vietnam, racial unrest and cultural and social upheaval in the United States.Long-time family friend Morgan Entrekin, who reported Vonnegut's death, said the writer had suffered brain injuries as a result of a fall several weeks ago, he told The New York Times.Last year, Vonnegut came out of semi-retirement to write his new book A Man Without A Country because of his "contempt" for current US President George W Bush.

I love his work more than anyone of whom I'm aware, but he'd already written the last of his fiction, and his NF sucks. I'm not as broken up as you'd think; his last remaining use was as a celebrity symbol - on which ironic note, I'll point out that that Don Delillo's first novel in like seven years, Falling Man, was moved up to May 15th today.

I read a couple of his books in HS, very good stuff from what I can remember. I gotta re-read them after exams are over.I downloaded Breakfast of Champions in audio a while ago (haven't listened yet). If anyone wants it, PM me.

I just got around to reading his stuff a few months ago. I got "The Sirens of Titan" from a hip used bookstore where this really cute girl rang me up. She talked to me for about ten minutes about his work and I did a great job of pretending like I was an expert.

I just got around to reading his stuff a few months ago. I got "The Sirens of Titan" from a hip used bookstore where this really cute girl rang me up. She talked to me for about ten minutes about his work and I did a great job of pretending like I was an expert.
I actually shun other Vonnegut fans, until they've shown knowledge of tougher authors, on the principle that Vonny is WAY too accessible, and therefore the go-to author of illiterate people who want to look smart.

so it goes.Sad stuff, KV really was minimalist, magic realist, kind of all in between beautiful. His writing was the kind of stuff that resonated. So good.And Dutch you want tough authors go Will Christopher Baer. To reccomend him to someone is to admit you're slightly crazy, but he's scary good.

so it goes.Sad stuff, KV really was minimalist, magic realist, kind of all in between beautiful. His writing was the kind of stuff that resonated. So good.And Dutch you want tough authors go Will Christopher Baer. To reccomend him to someone is to admit you're slightly crazy, but he's scary good.
I might be the only person who finds it funny to only read authors who most people can't, but as a whole I don't actually look for that in a writer.All but still, I've never even heard of the dude, and that's saying something. Maybe I'll give him a look. Anything specific I should look for?
I actually shun other Vonnegut fans, until they've shown knowledge of tougher authors, on the principle that Vonny is WAY too accessible, and therefore the go-to author of illiterate people who want to look smart.
Yep. That's what I figured.Are you the guy that finds a band nobody has ever heard of, like their stuff, tell everyone how cool and original their music is, then, when they get on the radio and grab a little piece of success, you immediately start trashing them as no talent hacks?I bet you do.
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.VonnegutI majored in Lit. and was surrounded by students with that exact attitude you have. Frankly, I detested every person in my class for such pretentious behavior as if reading obscure work afforded them a justified superiority complex. These are the same people who spend $4.00 on a large coffee that basically tastes like shit in comparison to a $1.50 cup of Dunkin Donuts. Honestly, this attitude is so far off what Vonnegut portrayed in every work he wrote that it's comical for a "Vonny" fan to utter it. Meh.
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.VonnegutI majored in Lit. and was surrounded by students with that exact attitude you have. Frankly, I detested every person in my class for such pretentious behavior as if reading obscure work afforded them a justified superiority complex. These are the same people who spend $4.00 on a large coffee that basically tastes like shit in comparison to a $1.50 cup of Dunkin Donuts. Honestly, this attitude is so far off what Vonnegut portrayed in every work he wrote that it's comical for a "Vonny" fan to utter it. Meh.
I think we should expound upon this.I find it to be common that people who 'shun' other people due to their pretention are actually pretentious themselves. But perhaps pretention is a prerequisite for making light of another person's pretentions. So in reality someone who is pretentious in your 'your' eyes is only one level LESS pretentious than you.
I think we should expound upon this.I find it to be common that people who 'shun' other people due to their pretention are actually pretentious themselves. But perhaps pretention is a prerequisite for making light of another person's pretentions. So in reality someone who is pretentious in your 'your' eyes is only one level LESS pretentious than you.
That's like saying someone who abhors rapists is an uber-rapist himself. See what I did there? i threw in rape as subject fodder. I'm more pretentious than I thought. Go me.
That's like saying someone who abhors rapists is an uber-rapist himself. See what I did there? i threw in rape as subject fodder. I'm more pretentious than I thought. Go me.
But despising rapists doesn't use the quality of being a rapist oneself. the quality of despising someone who is pretentious seems to take a level of pretention itself.
But despising rapists doesn't use the quality of being a rapist oneself. the quality of despising someone who is pretentious seems to take a level of pretention itself.
You make no sense whatsover. Please give up. You lose this round.
You make no sense whatsover. Please give up. You lose this round.
Are you kidding? All I'm saying if for someone to call someone else out on being pretentious they have to have some level of pretentiouness themselves. That's a logical thought. Not necessarily true, but logical.This: "1. Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified."Is entailed in this: "I actually shun other Vonnegut fans, until they've shown knowledge of tougher authors, on the principle that Vonny is WAY too accessible, and therefore the go-to author of illiterate people who want to look smart."
Are you kidding? All I'm saying if for someone to call someone else out on being pretentious they have to have some level of pretentiouness themselves. That's a logical thought. Not necessarily true, but logical.This: "1. Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified."Is entailed in this: "I actually shun other Vonnegut fans, until they've shown knowledge of tougher authors, on the principle that Vonny is WAY too accessible, and therefore the go-to author of illiterate people who want to look smart."
Soooo, you're proving my point in accusing someone of being pretentious because I didn't say what you're quoting above. Eh?Edit: Oh, wait, ok. You're not saying I'm pretentious by calling DD pretentious. You're saying DD is pretentiously one level higher than those that act pretentious by pretending to be smart in reading Vonnegut. Correctomundo?
Soooo, you're proving my point in accusing someone of being pretentious because I didn't say what you're quoting above. Eh?Edit: Oh, wait, ok. You're not saying I'm pretentious by calling DD pretentious. You're saying DD is pretentiously one level higher than those that act pretentious by pretending to be smart in reading Vonnegut. Correctomundo?
Yes, that is what i'm saying. And i'm NOT claiming NOT to be pretentious myself in doing so.