Random Hockey Observations

Step 1 in Serge rehab program is to log off of Facebook after a Leafs playoff loss or other Leafs-based controversy. IMO.

This is probably not a bad idea.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Dubey and Wayne talking about going to the Leafs playoff games got me thinking...

I thought I had been to at least one Penguins game in each round, but I think I was wrong. It's unclear!

Round 1 - 2010 at Ottawa, including the Game 6 OT clincher (scored by Pascal Dupuis) (I think I went to all 3)

Round 2 - hmmm... maybe? 2013, my last year in Ottawa, Pens played the Sens in Round 2, but I would have been at my absolute most broke, so I probably didn't go. Can't find any reference to it on Facebook, so it didn't happen. Dammit. Nevermind!!!

Round 3 - 2009 vs Carolina, Game 1 of the ECF

Round 4 - 2016 vs San Jose, Game 5 of the SCF

I was thinking of the last leafs playoff game I went to (since it has been a long time). I thought it was when Philly played the Leafs and we won in overtime.

But than I remember last year. Otto went to game 6 with a friend against Washington when we lost 2-1. My sister called last second and said they have an extra ticket and wanted Otto to go since they treat him like their own son (they have 2 boys). So I went instead.

I remember the time when the leafs played Carolina. I really wanted to go but Otto was too young. If it was now we are going.

The SJW woman is brain dead with zero self awareness and probably little contact with this country outside of the big city and while she wants people to think about the plight of the disenfranchised she did little thinking herself. There is a divide in this country between the experiences of people in big cities and in other places and her attitude is a sign of that.

She is from Georgetown and lives/works in Quebec City. Want to try again?

Regarding the truck driver, I think the media has done a good job to basically not mention them. Any mention in an article probably triggers the crazies. Not mentioning it at all probably contributes to people feeling sad about this (which is healthy) rather than angry.

She is from Georgetown and lives/works in Quebec City. Want to try again?

Regarding the truck driver, I think the media has done a good job to basically not mention them. Any mention in an article probably triggers the crazies. Not mentioning it at all probably contributes to people feeling sad about this (which is healthy) rather than angry.

Quebec City isn't exactly a rural area.

If she has a lot of experiences in more rural areas of the country that is even more of an indictment of her lack of self awareness. If you don't see the urban/rural divide in this country than you aren't paying attention. I live in the biggest city in the country and I have contact with dairy farmers in the small town where my Mother lives and are like family to her who hate going into the big city which to them is driving 40 minutes into Guelph. They have no experience with urban living and Toronto is as foreign to them as Brazil is to you just like a lot of people who live in urban and suburban areas don't have a lot of real contact with people from more rural areas.

There is nothing wrong in thinking, "I wonder if this same level of grief would be shown nationwide if this was a different group" and in fact is a healthy exercise but that isn't what she did.

There is nothing wrong in thinking, "I wonder if this same level of grief would be shown nationwide if this was a different group" and in fact is a healthy exercise but that isn't what she did.

agree. And of course there would be different reactions, based on many factors.

Quebec City Mosque shooting. 6 dead, 19 injured, only 15 months ago. Go Fund Me hit 400k only I read.

I choose to hope that we stop seeing things as 'hey, why did that one get more'. I hope that in the future, we recall how good it felt to support this cause and support many other causes, and just be better human beings in general. Maybe if the Mosque shooting happened a year after Humboldt instead of year before, more people recognize the needs of the victims and give of themselves.

Don't always be so quick to be the one that stands out in the crowd by being the only one to SH*T all over a good thing.

If you don't see the urban/rural divide in this country than you aren't paying attention. I live in the biggest city in the country and I have contact with dairy farmers in the small town where my Mother lives and are like family to her who hate going into the big city which to them is driving 40 minutes into Guelph. They have no experience with urban living and Toronto is as foreign to them as Brazil is to you just like a lot of people who live in urban and suburban areas don't have a lot of real contact with people from more rural areas.

Same thing in Humboldt vs Saskatoon, from my limited experience.

I have customers in Saskatoon, and one in Humboldt. From what they tell me, there are lots of people in and around Humboldt who dont do the drive into Saskatoon, maybe ever. Its only for the real essentials.

I could never understand how my customer in Humboldt did so well, and I realized its not only the 5k that live there, but all the other farming communities up there that only wanted to deal with nearby small town business owners, and never go into the big city, in this case Saskatoon.

Same thing in Humboldt vs Saskatoon, from my limited experience.

I have customers in Saskatoon, and one in Humboldt. From what they tell me, there are lots of people in and around Humboldt who dont do the drive into Saskatoon, maybe ever. Its only for the real essentials.

I could never understand how my customer in Humboldt did so well, and I realized its not only the 5k that live there, but all the other farming communities up there that only wanted to deal with nearby small town business owners, and never go into the big city, in this case Saskatoon.

Never underestimate the wealth that farmers may have.

San Jose Barracuda have made the playoffs in the most epic way.

On April 4th the Barracuda were 10 points out of a playoff spot. Just 4 days ago they were 6 points behind San Diego with 3 games to play. They had to win all 3 and Fade the Gulls picking up just one point. Well it happened.

I’m just excited I’ll be going to cover a playoff game.

Made the Leafs sting a little less.

Quebec City isn't exactly a rural area.

If she has a lot of experiences in more rural areas of the country that is even more of an indictment of her lack of self awareness. If you don't see the urban/rural divide in this country than you aren't paying attention. I live in the biggest city in the country and I have contact with dairy farmers in the small town where my Mother lives and are like family to her who hate going into the big city which to them is driving 40 minutes into Guelph. They have no experience with urban living and Toronto is as foreign to them as Brazil is to you just like a lot of people who live in urban and suburban areas don't have a lot of real contact with people from more rural areas.

Well I agree with the last paragraph, though I think that’s exactly what she did do, just with wording (and timing) that was more likely to incite anger than healthy discussion.

As for urban/rural I doubt we’ll find much common ground there. There is a divide of course, but there’s also obviously a difference between Quebec City and Toronto, and if we are going to disclude places like Georgetown from rural (which it isn’t by comparison to a place like Humboldt of course) then we are dealing with a small enough population that I think we can discuss specific attributes rather than generalities.

The guy doesn’t even have the puck. It’s a blindside hit. He charges at him and demolishes him and the guy had no way to protect himself or any reason to expect a hit would be coming.

The guy doesn't even have the puck. It's a blindside hit. He charges at him and demolishes him and the guy had no way to protect himself or any reason to expect a hit would be coming.

I dont know, on the replay, it looked like Karlsson had dug the puck out and was playing it. You can see the puck is loose, right off his stick.

So makes me wonder, if he was playing the puck, is there anything illegal about that hit? Cause Perry seems to make contact only with body.

So,,,,I dont see how it was even worth a penalty, tbh. I was watching the game, I was thinking it was a dirty hit, until I saw the replay and the puck being played.

The guy doesn’t even have the puck. It’s a blindside hit. He charges at him and demolishes him and the guy had no way to protect himself or any reason to expect a hit would be coming.

I think it was interference. Even if he had touched the puck in the scrum. He was clearly not “in possession.” Maybe it was charging too? But that’s it. It was shoulder to shoulder. I don’t believe there was an injury on the play. (If there was, it should have been 5 and a game and then maybe supplemental discipline.) It looked way more violent than it was because his helmet inexplicably flew off, I think. It deserved the two. It hurt Anaheim a lot. I just can’t find anything else objectively punishable about it.