Random Hockey Observations

It’s not enough. I have gotten close to one of the toughest fighters of all time. While he only played 139 NHL games he gave his life and body to the game. He played a ton of games for many many different organizations in the AHL He has suffered a lot , with concussions and some sad times. He lost his marriage and his family due to the stuff he went through.

He is still a fairly young man of only 49 but you can see how it has changed him. He reminds us to txt him to remind of the smallest things as his memory isn’t all there.

While he is fairly happy, he doesn’t have a lot of money and he is coaching Junior B hockey here in the WSHL. He is a great guy and I wish the NHL would take care of him now to this day.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

McDavid has been on an insane pace lately and now has like a 4 point lead in the Art Ross race.

Seems like he came out of absolutely nowhere. He'll crack 100 points once again. (He's at 99 after tonight's performance.)

Marleau's next goal will tie him with Frank Mahovlich for 33rd in career NHL goals.

33. F. Mahovlich 533

34. P. Marleau 532

HOF, right?

honestly, Ive never thought of Marleau as HOF, but its really hard to argue that he isn't based on his totals.

For me, I prefer the guys who were top top of their game, even if its only for 2/3 years. (ie Forsberg/Lindros, who got hurt a lot)

The Dave Andreychuks of the world dont excite me as HOF'ers, but Ive come to appreciate longevity as its own 'skill' and so dont mind the players who were never one of the 10best in the years they played, but had outstanding overall careers.

He's had like zero *great* seasons. It's really something. His best season in terms of output, he was third on his own team in points, 2nd in goals. He's just been like consistently solid, but never really spectacular.

I thought I was going to look at his hockeydb and see he was 3rd in goals a few years or something, but that doesn't seen to be the case.

Peak season (for goals, 44 in 09-10) he was 4th in goals (7 back of 1st) and 14th in points (29 behind H. Sedin). His highest point total (86 in 05-06), he finished 19th in points. 39 points teammate Thornton.

Adam Gretz

@AGretz

8h8 hours ago

More

I don't mean to keep hitting this dead horse but of the top-25 scorers in the NHL only 7, at any point in their career, have been traded.

Four of them were traded by Peter Chiarelli.

8. Taylor Hall

9. Phil Kessel

11. Blake Wheeler

25. Tyler Seguin

That's not just bad luck.

I saw that, and while I mostly agreed, I didn't like the fact that it wasn't noted that the only way to get Seguin was to trade Kessel.

Also, I went down a rabbit hole when I looked up the Wheeler trade. Turns out it was when the Bruins were loading up for a playoff run, and got Peverley and valabik. Day before they made a trade with the Leafs and the article notes rumour was Wheeler to the Leafs before the Leafs went with Joe Colborne and the pick. Interesting how things happen.

I saw that, and while I mostly agreed, I didn't like the fact that it wasn't noted that the only way to get Seguin was to trade Kessel.

Meh, he didn't trade Kessel for Seguin. He traded him for 2 picks and then the Leafs ended up being worse than anyone expected. You can give him credit for knowing the Leafs were worse than they thought they were, but given his track record, I have no idea why you would do that.

Meh, he didn't trade Kessel for Seguin. He traded him for 2 picks and then the Leafs ended up being worse than anyone expected. You can give him credit for knowing the Leafs were worse than they thought they were, but given his track record, I have no idea why you would do that.

This. This all gets lost in the Kessel trade folklore. Brian Burke traded what he thought was a pick in the range Of a mid level first round pick. If the trade ended up being Kessel for Dylan Mcilrath,Brandon Gormsley or Derek Forbort then Burke looks like a genius and Boston looks really bad.

to be fair, I'm not letting Brian Burke off the hook here for drastically overestimating his team's strength, but I'm also wary of giving proven dumbass credit for accurately predicting that the Leafs would hand him a lottery pick.

#1. Seguin-Kessel. My point wasn't that it was a good trade or bad trade, or that Chia is smart/dumb. My point is, he never would have had Seguin if he didnt trade Kessel. So the initial tweet was that he "traded away" 4 top players. Yes, but thats partly because he got 1 back in one of those trades.

It doesnt matter if you trade away Wheeler, if you end up with Malkin. No one would imply thats a bad deal, or that you just randomly gave up a top player for nothing.

#2. Kessel trade/The pick.

Maybe the most important part of a GM"s job is being able to assess talent. If the GM was incorrect in knowing where his team would finish that year, than that GM incorrectly assessed the talent on his own team. Giving a GM credit for trading for JVR and dumping Schenn, but then not blaming him for trading a pick that turned into a high pick seems off to me. If its cause he lost a lottery, than its truly something that is luck based. Anything else, and its the one job the GM had, to assess the talent level and possible success of his team.

Sorry, but what you guys are saying makes no sense to me.

EDIT: I started my post then got busy with work and finished 30min later, so I didnt see Dubeys post about Burke. Seems we agree, somewhat.

I don’t disagree that Burke over estimated the Leafs upcoming season that year. Burke made a lot of bad moves in hindsight that I admit wasn’t great.

I would argue that if you asked 30 GMs that year 30 of them might not have Toronto as a lottery team. Including Boston

I would argue that if you asked 30 GMs that year 30 of them might not have Toronto as a lottery team. Including Boston

ya, you're probably right. I honestly can't recall what I thought of them, but I guess I would probably have thought same.

That said, you do always have to have it in the back of your mind when trading a pick. What if????

Every trade is risk reward, and maybe they did the risk-reward and figured it was worth it. I would prob have done same, and in many ways, Kessel has proved them right, even if it ended up happening with another jersey. But they did give away a shot at Seguin, no matter how we look at it.

ya, you're probably right. I honestly can't recall what I thought of them, but I guess I would probably have thought same.

That said, you do always have to have it in the back of your mind when trading a pick. What if????

Every trade is risk reward, and maybe they did the risk-reward and figured it was worth it. I would prob have done same, and in many ways, Kessel has proved them right, even if it ended up happening with another jersey. But they did give away a shot at Seguin, no matter how we look at it.

You are definetely right...I wonder if they make the trade if it was lottery protected?

The Golden Knights twitter page continues to impress. Now it has a x- in front of the handle. Lol