• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Not sure. But having made that trip quite a bit it’s not as close as you would think. It’s 34 miles and technically about 35 min without traffic between the Honda center and Staples. . However in LA that could be easily a 90 minute bus ride.

This is so tragic. Hit close to home as well. Happened in Ajax close to where we lived and we know a lot of families in that Don Mills Flyers organization.

This thread is apparently only for tragedy now...

Awful news out of Ottawa that Erik Karlsson and his wife have lost their son. No details.

God damnit. That is so incredibly heartbreaking. Baby was due in April. Not that it would ever be easy, but that’s really late in a pregnancy to have a miscarriage. I can’t even imagine what Erik, and especially his wife, is going through :(

I'm trying not to sound callous, but its interesting to me that the public is privy to the news about these very personal and awful situations,that now we now find out about these miscarriages. It occurs to me that I only used to know about miscarriages that happened to those in my family or close group of friends, but now, the way society is so active on social media, everyone knows when a famous athlete's wife is pregnant, and when something goes wrong, they are compelled to let the whole world know about what went wrong with the pregnancy they announced publicly just months earlier.

Its not a shot at anyone, its just I realize we never used to hear about miscarriages to famous atheletes wives (at least I dont think so) in the days when I was younger and I feel bad for them that not only this awful thing happened, but it also has to be news for the public to consume at a time when I'm assuming they would want privacy.

Do you think there's a general tendency to just not talk about miscarriages at all in general society?

I remember reading a thing a while back about how miscarriages are a lot more common than people thing, and for women who suffer them, knowing that others have gotten through them, etc, is beneficial. Maybe it's another one of those things that we need to be more open about as a society, in the same direction we are going with mental illness, say.

Or I could be talking out of my ass entirely. I don't know. Pregnancy is really not my area of expertise.

Well miscarriages in the first 3 months are fairly common, and some people don’t even announce pregnancies or tell anyone but close family until after 3 months for that reason. After 3 months, it’s pretty uncommon, and more public by nature.

I'm trying not to sound callous, but its interesting to me that the public is privy to the news about these very personal and awful situations,that now we now find out about these miscarriages. It occurs to me that I only used to know about miscarriages that happened to those in my family or close group of friends, but now, the way society is so active on social media, everyone knows when a famous athlete's wife is pregnant, and when something goes wrong, they are compelled to let the whole world know about what went wrong with the pregnancy they announced publicly just months earlier.

Its not a shot at anyone, its just I realize we never used to hear about miscarriages to famous atheletes wives (at least I dont think so) in the days when I was younger and I feel bad for them that not only this awful thing happened, but it also has to be news for the public to consume at a time when I'm assuming they would want privacy.

A very good point on how the public knows about this. It is a personal thing and believe it should be kept that way

In my personal experience my wife was 3.5 months with twins when we heard the news. That was about 15 years ago. To this day both parents or siblings from both families didn’t know it happen. However my kids know

However I believe things happen for a reason and I am truly blessed with my 2 younger girls

That’s interesting. I had no idea it changed. I always noticed when guys would cross that 400 game mark. Random fourth line journeymen and stuff. Then would be happy to see them get there. Nathan Gerbe was the last guy I noticed this for. Sits at 396 gp at the moment. Guess the 400 milestone doesn’t matter.

Lol

Also, I would really like a db pension plan.

I don't want to share publicly, but someone I knew from my youth, very close to my family, is going through a hard time and it broke my heart to see the texts today.

I don't doubt for one second that a lot of it is from CTE.

I think this goes beyond financial issue, scary to see.

My pension plan is my kids.

I am going to be broke.

I know Donald Fehr negotiated a really good pension deal into the most recent CBA, not sure if that’s when it changed to 160, but I know service time AFTER the lockout is important for it.

400 games seem excessive. Even 160 doesn't seem generous for all that they put there bodies thru.

Im thinking 83 would be a good number

A lot of private sector pensions (PS/DFB plans) in the US have a 1 year full time service requirement before you accrue pension benefits. Then you would vest over say a 5 year period at 20% per year. In other words, if you stay 3 years you will get 60% of the benefit accrued to you. If you work at that place 5 years and beyond, then you will get 100%