vote for the wrost rules!!!daniel, i think you missing alot of good points that vftw(vote for the worst) make.first of all, they love the show and they enjoing the performences, they have the right to vote for the people they want to see just like you do.their main problem with idol is that its anyway not about the singing, in the auditions they are passing the worst to preform infront of the judges just so they can put them down, that is really mean, not what vftw is doing. if they can do that in the auditions, so why cant vftw continue to that in the show itself? btw they actually supported sundence and after he was elimnated they move to sanjaia.they not just pick the bad they pick the most entertinaning one. i think its kinda of arrognt to decide for Sanjaya that he is suffering, he seems to enjoy every minute in the show. there are people that voting for him because they like him, and if he want to have a chance for a carrer he should try to make as far as he can no matter what the reason is. and by making the top 10 he already got in the idol tour which will bring him alot of money, so they are really helping him...your comparison to terrorist is so ridiculous and not realted, i dont even know what to say about that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow....comparing international terrorists to those who would vote according to the worst...you make me laugh sometimes Daniel.ask the family members of those who died in the twin towers how they feel about poor little Sanjayaif making this comparison sems absurd...then WHY MAKE IT?

the few times I have watched the program he is not nice, not in anyway trying to give good advice or constructive criticism.
The show would not work at all if Simon were "nice". When someone is bad, he tells them, which is appropriate given his role as a judge. If the judges were worried about hurting the feelings of the contestants then there would be no judging, which is the entirebasis of the show. All the contestants know they are putting themselves out there to be criticized by the judges and the public when they join the show. It's a risk they knowingly take. Paula's role is to be nice and to buffer what simon says with something more compassionate. Its a good cop/bad cop routine and it works. Some of these other competition shows where the judges are afraid of saying anything too negative end up really sucking because of it.

The purpose of the show is to have America chose the winner! Sometimes the winner doesn't go on to have as a successful career as the runner-ups. How the hell can "a small group of people ruin things for the rest of us"? Millions of votes are cast each week. It is well within the rules of the show for this 'small group of terrorists' to vote as many times as they like for whoever they want. As far as wanting Sanjaya's "nightmare to be over", He is on one of the most, if not the most, popular show in America. I hardly think he is living a nightmare.

This show is and always has been about entertainment. Every year there are people who make it further than they should and the best singer doesnt always win. Look at the year when Jennifer Hudson, who was probally the best singer, went out way to early. That red haired kid crooner from a couple years ago sucked worse then Sanjaya and he made the top 6 I believe. If it were about picking the best singer the winner should be determined by a panel of music experts and not by a popularity contest. The producers of the show brought this on themselves by shocasing auditions of terrible singers who are dillusional about there abilitys and showing them breaking down after judging. Do they do it because they want to show us great singers? No they do it because its entertaining. The people who have been and will be voted off before Sanjaya had no hope of winning the competition any way.

I have no problem with DN taking his stance on how he feels about the Sanjaya thing. AS LONG as he also does not enjoy the first week of auditions (also known as the best part of American Idol), I mean we'd hate for someone to be ridiculed because of their lack of talent, right?
Someone made that point before I could. The only reason the first few weeks are actually popular is because america enjoys to watch failure unfold. Nobody remembers the best, and at work the next day we talk about who sucked, because that is what is fun. Which is sort of the point. Fun. Please, DN, taking this show seriously is a sin in it's own category. Have fun- revel in the delicious taste of superior competition leaving tonite when Sanjaya live son. You're a poker player-how can you not enjoy when someone hits a two outer to eliminate someone else?
He is on one of the most, if not the most, popular show in America.
From wikipedia:Top rated shows over the last five years:2001–2002: Friends (NBC)2002–2003: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (CBS)2003–2004: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (CBS)2004–2005: American Idol (FOX)2005–2006: American Idol (FOX)

There was a TV show not too long ago (or maybe I dreamt this up) where they convinced these horrible singers that they were actually winning a singing competition similar to American Idol. They basically exploited their lack of talent...and it was hilarious. Does anybody else remember this? That was quality TV, and it's basically the same concept as what VFTW is doing. I don't see the problem.

The purpose of the show is to have America chose the winner!
Actually, the purpose of the show is to make money. Simon's personality, keeping bad singers in the top 10, having Haley dressed like a sex kitten, Blake spitting all over the place while he beat boxes... has nothing to do with changing the music industry, having someone win or defining the music industry. It's all about the $$$ and AI doesn't need a winner to get that $$$.It's entertaining fluff that has made AI the juggernaut it is and unless Sanjaya has been living under a rock, he knew exactly what he was getting into and judging by his hair-do last night, he's enjoying and having fun with it.Since this is the first year that Daniel has watched the show in it's entirety, I will cut him some slack (however not in the terrorist comparison). The fact is, almost every year there is one person in the top 10 that shouldn't be there. Why are they there? Is it because of websites promoting voting for the worst and the nasty heartless people voting for the worst? Is it because of Daniel Stern doing the same thing? No. It's because of little tweeny bopper girls and little old ladies who see these young things and think "awwwww". Anyone remember "Chicken Little" Kevin? Why is it such a big deal this year? I tell you what though; this vote for the worst site is having a blast with all the publicity it's getting! The site has been around since Jennifer Hudson got knocked off I believe before Chicken Little. It's only gained in popularity because of blogs like Daniels and news stories about it, which has spread the word to a wider audience. I obviously watch the show and have since the second season. I find it to be a nice fluffy entertainment. Half of my enjoyment of the show is hating some of the contestants. I guess that makes me a cold hearted.. whatever! :club:

Daniel's waayyy off on this one. How many good singers got axed early so some horrible singers could slide through and get shredded by the judges so everybody could see them cry? Voting one of them through isn't a terrorist activity. It's justice. Do you really think Melinda and Lakisha won't get record deals if they lose? It'd actually be in their best interest to get voted off because they could get to the studio quicker.Voting for Sanjaya isn't hateful. It's poetic justice. Which is what this country is all about. Americans love the underdog, so vote this one through.

Daniel's waayyy off on this one. How many good singers got axed early so some horrible singers could slide through and get shredded by the judges so everybody could see them cry? Voting one of them through isn't a terrorist activity. It's justice. Do you really think Melinda and Lakisha won't get record deals if they lose? It'd actually be in their best interest to get voted off because they could get to the studio quicker.Voting for Sanjaya isn't hateful. It's poetic justice. Which is what this country is all about. Americans love the underdog, so vote this one through.
Not to mention that losing is the best thing that can happen if you are good. Anyone remember that bulsshit movie that Kelly Clarkson had to do after she won? Ugghh. The Idol brand name absolutely owns you if you win.

Ive never watched one episode of American Idol.....am I missing something? All I hear about the show is from girls...kinda like Dancing with the Stars. I dont want to come across sexist but arent these shows catering to women?

I think the point that some people are trying to make about American Idol not picking the best musician is lost on non-musicians. American idol finds genetically gifted people when it comes to actually singing, and that's the extent of it. The actual winner of the show, as mentioned before, is an interesting social science experiment.There's a lot more to being an all around musician if you want to earn the respect of another musician. Look at the overproduced drivel being put out by a lot of previous idol contestents / winners. Frequently, it's formulaic manufactured pop that's not even written by the singer (or if it is, it doesn't even make sense - hi carrie underwood). That kind of thing has the tendency to upset musicians. I'm not saying the Sanjaya thing is justified, and I feel sorry for the guy 100%. However, I can easily see why the show as a whole upsets some people.Personally, I have a thousand times more respect for someone like Jason Mraz. The kid easily has one of the top five male voices I've ever heard (and i've heard him live at a small acoustic venue) and is a fantastic overall musician. He earns every single record he has sold by getting out there, pounding the pavement and working his butt off for it (playing tiny coffee shops, shows in the parking lot of larger bands concerts while people tailgated, etc.).

Ameican idol is an entertainment show, it is not considered a game show nor dos it have to follow guidelines established for game shows. That being said. Who are any of you to tell me what is the "right" way to be entertained by AI. Personnally i think it would be histerical if Stern/Votefortheworst succeeded and Sanjaya won. Why? Cause it would be Funny! If any of you think that AI or Sanjaya for that matter disliked the attention they are getting due to this "vote for the worst" campaign you are sadly mistaken. Sanjaya and AI will make/have made alot of money of of this suposely unwanted attention. Dont feel bad for Sanjaya he WANTS to be the american idol. As for the other talented singers in the competion that may get voted off before Sanjaya because of this. If they truly are talented they will succeed anyways, and may be better off in the long run because their names will not be "owned" by American Idol. So I say keep voting for who YOU want as this is YOUR American Idol and for me that means Sanjaya all the way.

Brilliant analysis Daniel on the willingness of some to destroy that is good. My favourite philosopher, Ayn Rand, had similar insight on the Academy awards streaker in the 70’s.From ‘The Voice of Resaon – My Thirty Years With Ayn Rand’ by Leonard Peikoff:‘ “Here,” she said in effect, “is a nationally acclaimed occasion replete with celebrities, jeweled ball gowns, coveted prizes, and breathless cameras, an occasion offered to the country as the height of excitement, elegance glamour-and what this creature wants to do is drop his pants in the middle of it all and thrust his bare buttocks in everybody’s face. What then is his motive? Not high spirits or TV coverage, but destruction-the satisfaction of sneering at and undercutting that which the rest of the country looks up to and admires.” In essence, she concluded, the incident was an example of nihilism, which is the desire not to have or enjoy values, but to nullify and eradicate them. ‘

I just don't buy into that at all. It's a choice. Any one of those "starving artists" could choose to go on the show if they chose to. If they decide that they want to stay true to their music and not "sell out" than they could still make it if they are talented enough.
absolutely not true. American Idol is first a reality TV show before it is a Talent Show. Plenty of exceptionally talented singers are not allowed an audition.Try atleast hearing the otherside of the story by visiting votefortheworst.com.

Anyone with an interest in this kind of show should read "Chart Throb" by Ben Elton. It's a British book that takes a satirical look at these kind of "reality" shows. Due to it's comedy roots I'm sure things are exaggerated but it also exposes the likes of Simon Cowell and what they're doing here, which is not finding talent. It's about making money by providing entertainment.One of the funniest things in the book that is blatantly obvious is that in the UK version of Pop Idol (called X Factor) Simon, Sharon Osbourne and Luis Walsh claim to audition 100,000 entrants before eventually leaving us with 1 winner (who tends to get about 1 year of fame the dissapears I might add). Ben Elton takes the reader through the maths of this and you can see they'd need about 3 years of doing 10 auditions an hour everyday. Considering Simon does the UK and US shows once each a year! lolBasically my point is this kind of show should not be taken seriously at all and comparing these VFTW guys with terrorists is laughable. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Simon started the damn website to get more votes, more attention and MORE MONEY.

just a couple of thingsif people want to vote for the worst why can't they? isn't it taking away peoples rights to not let them vote for who they want to?funny that DN mentions sundance... he was vote for the worst.com's first choice before sanjaya, until he got kicked off.also how is sanjaya the victim if it weren't for this movement for him he would not have gotten to the top 10 and would not have been on the tour which wll make him money

First of all, I think this is just American Idol's chickens coming home to roost. I'm supposed to feel bad for this show that it's being derailed by people voting for the worst performer? This show makes millions exploiting "the worst " performer. The first episodes of every season show people, who get paid absolutely nothing ( granted, they signed over their right to be shown freely), who are absolutely terrible. We are told this is to "show a sampling of the spectrum of american idol contestants, to understand what it's like, the good, mediorce and lousy." but that's a farce. The first episodes of ever season are a freak show, plain and simple. They take the absolute worst, and put them on the air for us to all laugh at and mock. And we all toon in, to see Simon be as cruel as he possibly can to these people But then ,when the show gets "serious" and the "serious" competition takes place, we're supposed to respect the integrity of the competition? PAH. I've seen enough people be absolutely humiliated on AI to have little sympathy for it. I have not voted in this "Vote for WHoever" award, because, frankly, I can't stand american idol, and don't care enough to vote. But I do think this campaign is hilarious. Daniel calls this campaign mean spirited.. well, AI is one of the most mean spirited shows in television history, so.. what goes around comes around.

PAH. I've seen enough people be absolutely humiliated on AI to have little sympathy for it. I have not voted in this "Vote for WHoever" award, because, frankly, I can't stand american idol, and don't care enough to vote. But I do think this campaign is hilarious. Daniel calls this campaign mean spirited.. well, AI is one of the most mean spirited shows in television history, so.. what goes around comes around.
amen, brother.
Brilliant analysis Daniel on the willingness of some to destroy that is good. My favourite philosopher, Ayn Rand, had similar insight on the Academy awards streaker in the 70’s.From ‘The Voice of Resaon – My Thirty Years With Ayn Rand’ by Leonard Peikoff:‘ “Here,” she said in effect, “is a nationally acclaimed occasion replete with celebrities, jeweled ball gowns, coveted prizes, and breathless cameras, an occasion offered to the country as the height of excitement, elegance glamour-and what this creature wants to do is drop his pants in the middle of it all and thrust his bare buttocks in everybody’s face. What then is his motive? Not high spirits or TV coverage, but destruction-the satisfaction of sneering at and undercutting that which the rest of the country looks up to and admires.” In essence, she concluded, the incident was an example of nihilism, which is the desire not to have or enjoy values, but to nullify and eradicate them. ‘
This gets my vote for best reply EVER in any thread.