Anyone Ever Feel Bad

I feel really sorry for some people, even online, which is weird. It wouldn't stop me from taking their whole bankroll if I had the chance. I would just feel sorry after.

I have a funny story (to me) related to this. I was at a local game in town and I busted some guys set with a flush then the next day im driving and I see that same guy panhandling people for money at a stop lightso I guess I dont feel bad, I dont feel good about it but not bad

I don't feel guilty, but I have sympathy. I don't think you can be a good poker player without putting yourself in the other guy's shoes.

I don't feel guilty, but I have sympathy. I don't think you can be a good poker player without putting yourself in the other guy's shoes.
That's the perfect word.
Yes^^^^^^^^^^^^^many of the posts above do make me shake my head a little.
It's inherent the nature of the game: poker rewards aggression, cunning and ruthlessness. In my opinion, anyone who would even consider "taking it easy" on an opponent because they feel sorry for him is in the wrong freaking game. "Humane" enlightened types would probably be better off playing Pinochle with their grandma. Introducing emotion of any kind into your decision-making process is a sure recipe for getting felted. If you want to help someone, cut him a check off the table, don't run your game like a Salvation Army soup kitchen. Case in point: when Barry Greenstein wants to help people, does he head down to the Circus Circus, round up a table's-worth of the most derelict no-good crackhead bums he can find, and deliberately lose 900 grand to them to make them feel better about themselves? NO, he most certainly does NOT.
hahahahh Matusow would'nt be in action if people did'nt feel bad for him.
Show some respect. Matusow gets action because he's a great f*cking player with more natural talent in his left nut than everyone in this thread combined. Would I give him the shirt off my back and the very socks off my feet? In a heartbeat. Would I take his last dime if he were in a game with me and playing badly? You bet. That's just how it is.
It's inherent the nature of the game: poker rewards aggression, cunning and ruthlessness. In my opinion, anyone who would even consider "taking it easy" on an opponent because they feel sorry for him is in the wrong freaking game. "Humane" enlightened types would probably be better off playing Pinochle with their grandma. Introducing emotion of any kind into your decision-making process is a sure recipe for getting felted. If you want to help someone, cut him a check off the table, don't run your game like a Salvation Army soup kitchen. Case in point: when Barry Greenstein wants to help people, does he head down to the Circus Circus, round up a table's-worth of the most derelict no-good crackhead bums he can find, and deliberately lose 900 grand to them to make them feel better about themselves? NO, he most certainly does NOT. Show some respect. Matusow gets action because he's a great f*cking player with more natural talent in his left nut than everyone in this thread combined. Would I give him the shirt off my back and the very socks off my feet? In a heartbeat. Would I take his last dime if he were in a game with me and playing badly? You bet. That's just how it is.
Notice I never said taking it easy, I showed empathy to their situation I never said to soft play anyone. Its funny because I brought up Matusow due to him having the tendencies of the hopeless gamblers, gambling away everything he owns. I like Matusow really, was just saying that to spite ER1
When you felt a guy who looks like they can't affored to lose. Yes some of you may say what the hell are they doing at the table with the rent money, or does he feel bad if I lose? I understand this point of view but last week a busted a guy who looked down and out, he left right away with this look of what the hell am I going to do now.Alot of these players are feeding an addiction not some up and coming star with a huge bankroll.Anyone else ever run into this.
Yes. Sometimes I just don't bet the river and check it down so they don't lose more money. However we justify it intellectually, it still feels like crap. Don't just discount the feeling because some here don't share it, it can actually put you on tilt. BUT - once you acknowledge it, maybe take a walk for a few minutes or go to the head, whatever,remember this guy has chosen his own life, and sometimes the only way to make a new choice is to go right to the bottom. Take his money, treat him respectfully, pray for him, a little. If you aren't a praying type, send him a good thought. BTW, some people have such a problem with this when they get good, they leave the game. Everyone finds their own answer.
Yes. Sometimes I just don't bet the river and check it down so they don't lose more money.
Unfortunately, this only makes sense if the guy gets up and leaves. What's really sad is you know ninety-nine times out of a hundred people like this are going to sit there until it's all gone.
  • 7 years later...