• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always here about how good of a guy Domi is. Good guys don't elbow people in the face or sell autographed pictures of them sucker punching someone.
The elbow was an exception in his career..Domi is not a cheap shot artist...
Same intent though.
Not the issue.I've never downplayed Simon's actions, but when something like this happens you inevitably get the Exaggerators who try to skew everything...baseball swingto the throatcould have killed himblah blah blahYeah, hockey is a rough sport. Yeah, Simon's actions are inexcusable. Yeah, he should be suspended based on his actions and not the consequence.
I always here about how good of a guy Domi is. Good guys don't elbow people in the face or sell autographed pictures of them sucker punching someone.
Yes they do.
Not the issue.I've never downplayed Simon's actions, but when something like this happens you inevitably get the Exaggerators who try to skew everything...baseball swingto the throatcould have killed himblah blah blahYeah, hockey is a rough sport. Yeah, Simon's actions are inexcusable. Yeah, he should be suspended based on his actions and not the consequence.
How about this...It wasnt HOLLWEG and it was CROSBY..and how about CROSBY was hurt so bad he would never play hockey again...??Same penalty.....????
How about this...It wasnt HOLLWEG and it was CROSBY..and how about CROSBY was hurt so bad he would never play hockey again...??Same penalty.....????
Absolutely! As I've said numerous times, if the NHL really wants to get rid of this stuff they will hand out punishments based on the action and not the result or the target.
Absolutely! As I've said numerous times, if the NHL really wants to get rid of this stuff they will hand out punishments based on the action and not the result or the target.
In theory thats great and all..but I dont think it will happen...Lets face it ...If Moore got up and skated off Bertuzzi might have gotten a slap on the wrist..maybe 5 games
Bingo.Stickwork especially has got to be come down on hard.A lot has been focused on hits to the head lately and that is good too, but stickwork could easily be lethal - there is no part for it in hockey.Hitting has always been a part of the game, and it's a harder nut to crack.What if the guy ducks down? Now a hit destined for his shoulder becomes his head.....It's not as cut and dried.Simon's incident IS cut and dried.A clear swing of the stick with intent to injure.The fact he is a multiple offender makes it much easier to be a lengthy suspension too.I think a minimum of the balance of the season AND playoffs should be given.Give him til next season to think about it.
No penalty, no outcry (except from Devils fans), no suspension. Lukowich is out indefinitely with a concussion.Karma? Maybe.Does it prove your point? Yep.
you never made a mistake?banning him for life is ludicrous. Yes it was premeditated and horribly violent, and deserves a lengthy suspension. but it was a reaction to an illegal hit, and there is not enough of a distinction between this, and lots of other incidents that suggests he should be banned for life, as opposed to a long suspension.banning for life suggests the incident is so horrific that there is no way the player can ever be trusted on the ice again. i don't think this incident does that.
Yes, I have made mistakes. Oops tripped a guy from behind, oops rolled through a stop sign, oops didn't pull out in time. Mistakes happen. Intentionally swinging a stick at someone's head, chin, throat, mouth, whatever is malicious and has no place in a civilized society. Rules govern actions for a reason. Rules that state "if you feel the need to cross check someone in the face, you don't get to participate in our society anymore" would put halt to this crap really quick.
Yes, I have made mistakes. Oops tripped a guy from behind, oops rolled through a stop sign, oops didn't pull out in time. Mistakes happen. Intentionally swinging a stick at someone's head, chin, throat, mouth, whatever is malicious and has no place in a civilized society. Rules govern actions for a reason. Rules that state "if you feel the need to cross check someone in the face, you don't get to participate in our society anymore" would put halt to this crap really quick.
Is shooting a hard rubber projectile at someone have a place in civilized society? How about a nice shoulder planted under their chin while they're looking down at the ice? Oh wait, you'll say those things are okay because they are within the rules of the game, right? If we made crosschecks to the face legal would that change your view? The fact is a lot of things that are acceptable in sport are not necessarily acceptable in society.
I disagree. When someone snaps to the point that they will swing a stick at someone, they have lost the ability to think rationally about the consequences of their actions. The long term results on the careers of Mcsorley and Bertuzzi would indicate to Simon that he probably shouldn't do that, but those thoughts didn't enter his mind. If hockey is going to continue to be a physical sport, every once and a while someone is going to get pissed off and do something really stupid, regardless of the rules in place.
I honestly have no idea wtf any of you guys are trying to argue.
Me neither. Strangely, I'm wondering if I'm the one who started it in the first place.
All I was trying to say is everytime there is an obsecenly violent act in the NHL, there is a call for player X to kicked out of the league to try to stop it from happening again. I don't think anything will stop the occasional brutal act from happening because of the nature of hockey and the players who play it.My only other point in this thread is Tie Domi is a clown.
It's the same old story...Ciccarelli, McSorley, Bertuzzi...hockey players being charged for infractions committed on the ice.
Is shooting a hard rubber projectile at someone have a place in civilized society? How about a nice shoulder planted under their chin while they're looking down at the ice? Oh wait, you'll say those things are okay because they are within the rules of the game, right? If we made crosschecks to the face legal would that change your view? The fact is a lot of things that are acceptable in sport are not necessarily acceptable in society.
What happened in this incident is acceptable in neither sport nor society.
All I was trying to say is everytime there is an obsecenly violent act in the NHL, there is a call for player X to kicked out of the league to try to stop it from happening again. I don't think anything will stop the occasional brutal act from happening because of the nature of hockey and the players who play it.My only other point in this thread is Tie Domi is a clown.
If Tie Domi is a clown the city of Vancouver is the circus...Bertuzzi as a member of that team showed what a clown he was...a jackass, and a clown..nice combo
I disagree. When someone snaps to the point that they will swing a stick at someone, they have lost the ability to think rationally about the consequences of their actions. The long term results on the careers of Mcsorley and Bertuzzi would indicate to Simon that he probably shouldn't do that, but those thoughts didn't enter his mind. If hockey is going to continue to be a physical sport, every once and a while someone is going to get pissed off and do something really stupid, regardless of the rules in place.
That is fine if you disagree, I may have exaggerated a bit with the statement. However, Mcsorely and Bertuzzi were allowed to play again so that argument doesn't really fit here. And to say someone has lost the ability to think rationally about the consequences of their actions only strengthens a lifetime ban argement.