Could I Have Gotten Away From This?

$30+$3 SNG Bubble.My stack: 5800Villain's stack: 4300Other two stacks are ~2k.Blinds are 150/300.I'm dealt As6s in the SB. I'd been playing fairly aggressively as of the last 3 hands when it got down to the bubble but before that had been playing pretty tight. No hands showndown during my aggressive streak.I decide to slowdown here and limp. The BB minraises to 600. I call with the intention of betting any flop. If he doesn't hit a piece, he's folding with the other stacks being short.Flop comes: Ac, 8s, Td.I don't really like this flop at all for obvious reasons. But I bet 800 into the 1200 pot. He flat calls. Alarm bells immediately go off in my head because anytime he hits a piece he's repopping. I immediately put him on 88 or TT or even AA possibly. JQ is possible as well.Turn comes a 6c.I check. He checks. If he had JQ here he probly pushes because he made two big semi-bluffs during the SNG, both of which worked. One was with an open ender and one with a flush draw.River comes a 6d.I laugh as I check. Then he pushes in for 2800ish and I replay the hand in my mind. I end up calling hoping he has AT or A8 and I hit some sick runners. He has 88 obv and now I'm one of the shortstacks.I honestly feel if the turn/river comes anything besides runner 6's I can get away from the hand. If I just hit two pair I think I can get away from it pretty easily given the situation.But honestly, could I have gotten away from this once I hit runners? I know, I know, I coulda mucked it preflop but around the bubble I usually take advantage of my opponents playing tight, especially against the guy where I'm the only one who can bust him and there's two shortstacks. Where he can just coast into the money. But could I have gotten away from it?

I don't know why you slow down on the turn. He could have easily been "trapping" you here with AK, AQ, etc. He also could have something like KK and just not believe that you hit the A.Checking the turn is a big mistake. The river doesn't change anything and I think it's a bad check on your part. Ignoring the results (as you're supposed to do) you played the hand well preflop and on the flop. I'd bet the turn and then push the river.If he's got me beat, I just type "hooray for coolers" into the chat box and move onto the next hand.

I don't know why you slow down on the turn. He could have easily been "trapping" you here with AK, AQ, etc. He also could have something like KK and just not believe that you hit the A.Checking the turn is a big mistake. The river doesn't change anything and I think it's a bad check on your part. Ignoring the results (as you're supposed to do) you played the hand well preflop and on the flop. I'd bet the turn and then push the river.If he's got me beat, I just type "hooray for coolers" into the chat box and move onto the next hand.
Like I said with this player he's re-popping with AK or AQ. He did not slowplay top pair at all all SNG.

I like preflop, although raising would be standard.

Flop comes: Ac, 8s, Td.I don't really like this flop at all for obvious reasons.
Que? If you don't like this flop, fold preflop.I prefer check/calling the flop to leading out.I prefer leading the turn weak,I think you should value bet the river rather than check.Calling his shove is obvious.Don't post results.
Like I said with this player he's re-popping with AK or AQ. He did not slowplay top pair at all all SNG.
Unless you have logged many hours with him before, one sng is not a definitive example of his play.Maybe he's "trapping" this time becuase it's blind vs blind and he thinks he's very far ahead. Players can always do something abnormal. Just becuase he didn't raise, doesn't mean that he can't have the hand, it might make it less likely.I agree with 8Ball that check calling the flop is the best option. Leading the turn is the best option (or check-raising if you CC'd the flop) and leading the river is almost mandatory.
Unless you have logged many hours with him before, one sng is not a definitive example of his play.Maybe he's "trapping" this time becuase it's blind vs blind and he thinks he's very far ahead. Players can always do something abnormal. Just becuase he didn't raise, doesn't mean that he can't have the hand, it might make it less likely.I agree with 8Ball that check calling the flop is the best option. Leading the turn is the best option (or check-raising if you CC'd the flop) and leading the river is almost mandatory.
Sorry (I thought I had but I obviously haven't) I should've mentioned that this was a regular SNG player I've played against and I know just about exactly how he plays. I've probly played 10-20 SNG's with him. He's a semi winning player and I've gone HU with him about 3-4 times. I limped preflop to disguise that I have an Ace. If he checks and the flop comes an Ace and I lead out, he's calling me if not raising me with 2nd pair around 75-85% of the time. He's the type of player who likes to figure out where he's at by raising. He RARELY flat calls unless on a draw, or he has a BIG hand. He's raising me there with a bigger Ace 100% of the time. Looking back through previous HH's with him, he's never flat called with TPTK, always raising. He would flat call there with AT or A8 but he was not checking the turn with two pair. He likes to defend his hands with big raises.
I like preflop, although raising would be standard.Que? If you don't like this flop, fold preflop.I prefer check/calling the flop to leading out.I prefer leading the turn weak,I think you should value bet the river rather than check.Calling his shove is obvious.Don't post results.
I was asking if anyone thinks I could get away from this hand. I think I honestly could have because after the flop I put him on a set. Like I said the post before this and failed to mention earlier, I have played upwards of 500+ hands with this player. And know how he plays. Unlike most people, I usually play only 2-4 SNG's at a time. I like knowing how my opponents play and I found, and Poker Tracker backs up this statement, that my $/hour actually goes down if I play more than 4 SNG's at a time. I am just not a very good multi-tabler I guess and my strength lies in knowing how my opponents play, and knowing how to counteract their play. I find that playing more than 4 severely hinders my ability to do this.Note that against any other player I probly do exactly that. But because I had played with this player before, I just felt like I could find out exactly where he was at in the hand if I bet the flop and I would say there's a good chance I take it down as long as he didn't hit his Ace. I much would've prefered a JT4 flop or something like that where it looks more like he missed the flop than hit it and looks more of what could be in my range of hands in the SB. My original question was could I have gotten away from this, because I feel like I could have. If I don't call the river bet, my stack is at 4400 and I feel like I still have an edge against this player and once the other two players bow out, barring a card rush, I feel like I could still beat him heads up. I just felt like I was beat and felt like folding was my best option. Although if I did win that pot I was almost a lock to go heads up, if not win the whole thing. It was just one of those interesting hands where your read tells you one thing, but poker "common sense" tells you another.If this matters, I ended up coming back and winning it. The next hand I moved aipf with A9 and it held against KT (shortstack called it, he had like one bb after that hand and got out the following hand). I basically didn't show down a hand up until I had around 5.5k and the villain in this hand knocked out the other player.

Folding this river is ridiculous. You could make a case, I guess, in a VERY deepstacked cash game, but not in an online tournament. Replies above are accurate. Bet the turn as played. I prefer simo's flop line since you weren't the pf aggressor.

If he checks and the flop comes an Ace and I lead out, he's calling me if not raising me with 2nd pair around 75-85% of the time.
So, it's very likely he called you with 2nd pair is what you're saying with this line.

Did you read? That situation was if I limp and he checks preflop. His raise changes everything. It isolates his range from ATC to a much smaller range.

Did you read? That situation was if I limp and he checks preflop. His raise changes everything. It isolates his range from ATC to a much smaller range.
I don't get why you posted this. You are saying that there is no chance he has AK/AQ here and that there is no chance he is bluffing. Your read is that he has a set. You don't seem willing to move on that point. If he has a set you should obviously give up on the hand as soon as he calls your flop bet.What do you want us to say that we haven't already?
Board: As Th 8c 6d 6hDead:  	equity 	win 	tie 		  pots won 	pots tied	Hand 0: 	53.846%	  53.85% 	00.00% 				42 			0.00   { AA, TT, 88, ATs, ATo }Hand 1: 	46.154%	  46.15% 	00.00% 				36 			0.00   { A6s }

Does this help at all?

I was asking if I could've gotten away from it after I hit runners for a boat. If your read is the other player has a set after the flop and you hit runners for a boat, would you be able to lay it down? That was the one and only question. Should I just accept that I should go bust with that hand or should I have been able to get away with it if I trust my read?

1. Don't you think its odd to play 88/TT so soft preflop (only minraising?) Especially if he's a good player as you say.2. If he's got AA well **** happens, suck it up, you are still in the tourney.3. There are so many hands you're ahead of here, and you've played it so soft you HAVE to call his river push. When you've shown false weakness in a hand, and a player acts at that weakness, you shouldn't back down. (One of Sklansky's main points, though I didn't word it exactly)

If you had him on set on the flop, you obviously fold flop. That wasn't the case so you need to call river the way you played it.I can't put villain on AA, TT JQ or 88 alone on pre flop play.Guess the main thing is you put him on a range of hands(AA TT 88 JQ) but when the all-in came you hoped he had two other possible holdings(A8 AT).If you put the pieces together on your read and have played him so many games you should only have one question, is he the type to push with a busted straight draw, if no then fold, if yes then you have a tougher choice.Problem on this hand is you didn't go with read.Again I think the range you narrowed him down to was too tight, so I wouldn't have gotten away from it but if you need to go with you reads since you seem to have alot of info on villain.

If you're posting in here, you gotta be open minded and willing to listen to other posters. The posters to your OP have their own ideas and opinions on the hand with reasoning to back it up. If you aren't willing to listen to that, then don't post. If you just want everyone to say "no, you played fine and had to lose your chips" when you already knew that, then don't post.If you KNOW 100% (which is NEVER THE CASE, unless they turn their cards over) that he has such and such a hand, or can't be bluffing, etc, then why are you posting here?He has a range of hands. You're doing fine against his range of hands. Just because you've never seen him flat call with AK in this spot, doesn't mean he won't do it. You need to accept that as a reality.You have the 4th nuts (which is a full house) in a sit n go. There are 4 players left. I don't think I'd ever fold a boat in a sng, let alone with 4 players left. If he's got you beaten, good for him. You call the bet because your hand is strong and becuase you DO beat hands that he might hold. If you didn't beleive this, then you would have folded, but the fact is, you don't know what he has. You have a good idea that you're in trouble, but your hand is now so strong it doesn't matter much.
A little bit too much. Drop villain's stack to 3k and I'm listening.
his stack size is perfect to abuse on the bubble. he has enough chips that he can safely fold all but the strongest hands. i'd rather be moving in against him than one of the smaller stacks.Do U C Y?david-sklansky.jpg

I really think all posts titled "could I have gotten away from this" or the like should be banished from strategy, as they are inevitably bad beat posts.So from now on, everyone, do NOT title your posts like this one!

his stack size is perfect to abuse on the bubble. he has enough chips that he can safely fold all but the strongest hands. i'd rather be moving in against him than one of the smaller stacks.Do U C Y?
This is a sng, not a million dollar WPT final table. If the hero pushes here, I'm instacalling him with 88. He doesn't need a super strong hand, just a good one and the willingness to risk being outdrawn if the Hero gets lucky. I think his calling range DEFINITELY includes 77+ and AT+ and probably even some lesser hands if the hero has already made a push like this before.
I really think all posts titled "could I have gotten away from this" or the like should be banished from strategy, as they are inevitably bad beat posts.So from now on, everyone, do NOT title your posts like this one!
Just out of spite, I'm gonna title ALL of my posts "Could I Have Gotten Away From This?"I wanna see what you'll do when you're inundated with that many quality posts with garbage titles :icon_biggrin:By the way Zach, I totally agree with your assessment.

No tto be a pain the rear but this isn't even a bad beat. OP was behind pre-flop, flop, turn and river. I thought bad beats were huge suck out stories, I don't go to the topic but how can you be beat bad when you were never in the hand.

Just out of spite, I'm gonna title ALL of my posts "Could I Have Gotten Away From This?"I wanna see what you'll do when you're inundated with that many quality posts with garbage titles :icon_biggrin:By the way Zach, I totally agree with your assessment.
You know, I can edit post titles... :club:
$30+$3 SNG Bubble.My stack: 5800Villain's stack: 4300Other two stacks are ~2k.Blinds are 150/300.I'm dealt As6s in the SB. I'd been playing fairly aggressively as of the last 3 hands when it got down to the bubble but before that had been playing pretty tight. No hands showndown during my aggressive streak.I decide to slowdown here and limp. The BB minraises to 600. I call with the intention of betting any flop. If he doesn't hit a piece, he's folding with the other stacks being short.Flop comes: Ac, 8s, Td.I don't really like this flop at all for obvious reasons. But I bet 800 into the 1200 pot. He flat calls. Alarm bells immediately go off in my head because anytime he hits a piece he's repopping. I immediately put him on 88 or TT or even AA possibly. JQ is possible as well.Turn comes a 6c.I check. He checks. If he had JQ here he probly pushes because he made two big semi-bluffs during the SNG, both of which worked. One was with an open ender and one with a flush draw.River comes a 6d.I laugh as I check. Then he pushes in for 2800ish and I replay the hand in my mind. I end up calling hoping he has AT or A8 and I hit some sick runners. He has 88 obv and now I'm one of the shortstacks.I honestly feel if the turn/river comes anything besides runner 6's I can get away from the hand. If I just hit two pair I think I can get away from it pretty easily given the situation.But honestly, could I have gotten away from this once I hit runners? I know, I know, I coulda mucked it preflop but around the bubble I usually take advantage of my opponents playing tight, especially against the guy where I'm the only one who can bust him and there's two shortstacks. Where he can just coast into the money. But could I have gotten away from it?
You played the hand fine IMO. This is a hand where on the river you have a feeling you may be beat but its very difficult to fold, like you said A8 or AT or maybe even AK makes the same play especailly they way you played it.I like how you checked the turn, if you are beaot you are going to give yourself a chance to possibly not get stacked, and if not you may get value from a hand you beat. The river if you think your strongly beat a check is a good play, as you may get away from it cheaper. Turns out he bets big you are runner runner to a hand that fked u, but it would be really tough to fold that hand, in the long run though I think it would be -ev to fold 2 card full houses.