Can Dogs Love?

I purposely made this topic pretty broad.I've always wished they could, because I've surely loved every dog that I've had, but I've often doubted if it worked both ways.The reason i doubt it, is because I don't believe they are capable of hate, why should they be capable of love?

I purposely made this topic pretty broad.I've always wished they could, because I've surely loved every dog that I've had, but I've often doubted if it worked both ways.The reason i doubt it, is because I don't believe they are capable of hate, why should they be capable of love?
Stoned?

I know my dog is jealous when my husband gives me attention. She insists upon worming her way in (we put her out of the room if we're doing it. I don't even want to know what she would do then-blech). The other day, Dave was rubbing my neck and she came up and tried to get his attention. I actually said, "Go away Snowy, David is petting ME!

Dogs do not love. They understand things in terms of conditioning.
I'm sure it makes you feel good to think that humans have a soul and animals are driven only by instinct, but in the scheme of things we're not all that different.
Dogs do not love. They understand things in terms of conditioning.
Humans on the other hand are conditioned to label the instinctive desire to procreate as love.
I'm sure it makes you feel good to think that humans have a soul and animals are driven only by instinct, but in the scheme of things we're not all that different.
You came off very condescending. :club: I actually feel very similar. Humans may feel they are better, but deep down, we're all animals.

i saw video of chimps living in the wild and they looked like they were in love. I believe. Like in Where the Red Fern Grows, the dogs die together because they can't be apart, a true tear jerker.

the answer...no they cannot
Finally. I was waiting for someone to get that.
Tom Tucker: Coming up at 11, can bees think?? A recent study determines no....they can not.
Finally. I was waiting for someone to say the same thing I just said. It's ok, you've got a lot on your mind, what with the new arrival and all.