Is There Any Better Show Than 24?

I must admit I never did watch it when it first came out. I heard all of the hype about it but I really don'twatch much tv at all outside of sports or poker. I was bored one day and decided to dl season 1 of 24.Wow! is all I can say. I have never seen a show that keeps you that captivated and makes you have to watch the next episoderight away. I don't know how people ever watched it on tv? Waiting a week between episodes would drive me nuts.I am so hooked that I am thinking of going out and buying seasons 2,3,4,5 and watching them all.Are they all as good or better than the 1st? What is your favourite season?Are there any shows that are even close to being as good, with edge of your seat action episode after episode?Can wait to get season 2!

Thanks for the informative answers, why do I bother?
Season 1 of 24 is very good. But its all downhill from there. There are numerous better shows. A short list would look like:The SopranosThe Shield Rescue Me

Any show better?--HELL NOI also didn't watch when it first came out. I never even heard about it until December before the fourth season came out. I watched season three in that December then watched seasons 1 and 2 and then 4 as it came out.Each season is different though, and I don't have a favorite. Sometimes Jack is trying to save his family, like season 1 but others he is doing more, like saving the world (season 2). i love them all.I would buy the seasons. They are great to watch over and over again. But if you don't want to spend $, my friend has rented them at the library

I must admit I never did watch it when it first came out. I heard all of the hype about it but I really don'twatch much tv at all outside of sports or poker. I was bored one day and decided to dl season 1 of 24.Wow! is all I can say. I have never seen a show that keeps you that captivated and makes you have to watch the next episoderight away. I don't know how people ever watched it on tv? Waiting a week between episodes would drive me nuts.I am so hooked that I am thinking of going out and buying seasons 2,3,4,5 and watching them all.Are they all as good or better than the 1st? What is your favourite season?Are there any shows that are even close to being as good, with edge of your seat action episode after episode?Can wait to get season 2!
If you can think for yourself, there are lots of shows that are better. For people who are generally unimaginative, and easy to please, this show probably takes the cake. But to most people with half a brain, this show completely lacks any real credibility. Let's take the setting. Why do all of the bad things, terrorist attacks, etc, only happen in LA? How about traffic? Why doesn't it take anyone any amount of time to get around the different parts of LA? What about shit breaks? My morning dump takes at least a twenty spot, to read the paper and such. How come Jack Bauer doesn't shit? Did he get some sort of invisible colostomy bag or something? When do the characters eat? Are they given super secret government energy pills that we never notice?Finally, the timeline. Are we really supposed to believe that all 24 episodes happen in a single day? The idea for the show is a good premise, but in my opinion, it doesn't deliver. It just doesn't seem real. It seems to me like a tv show not based on reality.I'm going out on a limb and guessing that you are fairly young, and you lack the comprehension or skill set to question what a good tv show should entail. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be mean, but if you would look around, there are tons of better written, directed, and more entertaining shows around.Like stated before, The Sopranos, The Shield, Rescue Me, Lost, Heroes, House, just to name a few. Just my $0.02
If you can think for yourself, there are lots of shows that are better. For people who are generally unimaginative, and easy to please, this show probably takes the cake. But to most people with half a brain, this show completely lacks any real credibility. Let's take the setting. Why do all of the bad things, terrorist attacks, etc, only happen in LA? How about traffic? Why doesn't it take anyone any amount of time to get around the different parts of LA? What about shit breaks? My morning dump takes at least a twenty spot, to read the paper and such. How come Jack Bauer doesn't shit? Did he get some sort of invisible colostomy bag or something? When do the characters eat? Are they given super secret government energy pills that we never notice?Finally, the timeline. Are we really supposed to believe that all 24 episodes happen in a single day? The idea for the show is a good premise, but in my opinion, it doesn't deliver. It just doesn't seem real. It seems to me like a tv show not based on reality.I'm going out on a limb and guessing that you are fairly young, and you lack the comprehension or skill set to question what a good tv show should entail. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be mean, but if you would look around, there are tons of better written, directed, and more entertaining shows around.Like stated before, The Sopranos, The Shield, Rescue Me, Lost, Heroes, House, just to name a few. Just my $0.02
nicely said. :club:
nicely said. :club:
While I don't completely disagree with what Jeep said, I think 24 is a great show in spite of those things. For the most part everything we watch expects us to suspend reality to some extent. For 24 I think as far as eating/bathroom/etc you are supposed to assume that isn't a part of what they are showing you. There is a reason they have multiple characters and storylines going on at once so that your not following Jack the entire 24 hours and having to see him rub one out to the latest Gun & Ammo before going to catch the terrorist.
If you can think for yourself, there are lots of shows that are better. For people who are generally unimaginative, and easy to please, this show probably takes the cake. But to most people with half a brain, this show completely lacks any real credibility. Let's take the setting. Why do all of the bad things, terrorist attacks, etc, only happen in LA? How about traffic? Why doesn't it take anyone any amount of time to get around the different parts of LA? What about shit breaks? My morning dump takes at least a twenty spot, to read the paper and such. How come Jack Bauer doesn't shit? Did he get some sort of invisible colostomy bag or something? When do the characters eat? Are they given super secret government energy pills that we never notice?Finally, the timeline. Are we really supposed to believe that all 24 episodes happen in a single day? The idea for the show is a good premise, but in my opinion, it doesn't deliver. It just doesn't seem real. It seems to me like a tv show not based on reality.I'm going out on a limb and guessing that you are fairly young, and you lack the comprehension or skill set to question what a good tv show should entail. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be mean, but if you would look around, there are tons of better written, directed, and more entertaining shows around.
Its a tv show, not everything has to be real (who cares if they don't eat-although they did eat in season 1).Also, if you watch the show, you know that for all the characters, even Jack is not on for most of the time. Jack is on for maybe 30 minutes, what is he doing for the other 30? doing some of the things you mentioned
Like stated before, The Sopranos, The Shield, Rescue Me, Lost, Heroes, House, just to name a few. Just my $0.02
What do House, Prison Break, The Office, Family Guy, South Park, Psych, and Monk all have in common?They are all better then 24.
i like most of those shows, but for some reason i can't get into house. I try to watching it but every episode goes like this: House thinks of something, everybody disagrees and thinks he is crazy and then he saves the person...every episode
heroes, lost and 24 are all crap. (and i really like lost) they are simply designed to hook people (like any good serial) but they lack on character developent/good acting/ good writing. etc.
LMFAO!! What are you smoking??I don't watch lost, but to say the other 2 lack character development is like saying that Richard simmons gets a lot of pussy.Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Heroes??? The ENTIRE show is about character developement!!!
LMFAO!! What are you smoking??I don't watch lost, but to say the other 2 lack character development is like saying that Richard simmons gets a lot of pussy.Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Heroes??? The ENTIRE show is about character developement!!!
Richard Simmons does get a lot of pussy. Of course, with the size of the pussy he gets one is a lot.
heroes, lost and 24 are all crap. (and i really like lost) they are simply designed to hook people (like any good serial) but they lack on character developent/good acting/ good writing. etc.
its obvious you have never watched 24

I'm gonna have to disagree with Jeepster on this one because I've heard the arguments before. First and foremost you have to see Jack Bauer as a human superhero. He does things normal people don't do...if you can't accept this then this show will dissapoint. It's real life dangers in a fantasy world.I love fantasy and sci fi. Mixing fantasy situations with real life American threats is intriguing and exciting to me.

Let's take the setting. Why do all of the bad things, terrorist attacks, etc, only happen in LA?
This is an assumption. I was once asked the same thing about Star Trek. "Why does something crazy happen every episode and only on the Enterprise?" We're watching from the POV of the crew and I don't mind that they skip the days where guys are just punching in and punching out with nothing occuring. Something's happening on the other starships too but it would be impossible to mesh all those happenings at the same time.Same thing with 24. We're watching from the POV of Jack Bauer. There might've been 100 terrorist attacks in between each superday. 9/11 could've occured somewhere there but that wouldn't affect CTU Los Angeles other than intel. We're just watching isolated and extreme days.
How about traffic? Why doesn't it take anyone any amount of time to get around the different parts of LA?
Can't remember which season but they touched on this before. Jack had mentioned they needed to move fast before rush hour started. Also, you'll notice that they do travel by helicopter a fair bit.
What about shit breaks? My morning dump takes at least a twenty spot, to read the paper and such. How come Jack Bauer doesn't shit? Did he get some sort of invisible colostomy bag or something? When do the characters eat? Are they given super secret government energy pills that we never notice?
When the sympathetic nervous system is in a state of excitement it sends adrenaline throughout the body. The opposing function of the parasympathetic nervous system is to shut down non-essential systems such as the need to take a poop. Besides, there isn't much eating so there's not much to digest.Jack DID eat at the beginning of this season after being released by the Chinese. Anyways, have you never gone nearly a day without eating? I've done it more than once and usually during a stressful period. Besides Jack the others may actually eat but I'd rather watch the other happenings during mealtime (e.g. when the President is eating I'd rather see what Chloe is doing at that same timeline).
Finally, the timeline. Are we really supposed to believe that all 24 episodes happen in a single day? The idea for the show is a good premise, but in my opinion, it doesn't deliver. It just doesn't seem real. It seems to me like a tv show not based on reality.
You're right. It's a TV show.
Like stated before, The Sopranos, The Shield, Rescue Me, Lost, Heroes, House, just to name a few.
I've watched Sopranos and Lost and I wouldn't trade either for 24. I'm not qualified to speak on the others as I've heard some really good things about them.At the end of the day Jack is my favourite superhero who doens't fly or shoot fireballs from his butt. Is it simpleminded? Yeah, I can't deny it's the typical American hero storyline but the moral dilemmas he's put in are set-up well and his personal demons really make you feel for him. Okay, maybe I mean makes ME feel for him.If it looks like chicken, smells like chicken and tastes like chicken but Jack Bauer says it's beef...IT'S FUKKIN BEEF!!! :club:

24 is just crack for the eyes. It has no redeeming value other than being able to keep you entertained for an hour a week. To say it has good writing is laughable. It is not tight, it has tons of plot holes, the acting is suspect. But it tells a good story and they add twists to keep you interested and entertained. I watch it. Seen every single episode. But that doesn't mean it is great. There are much better shows that have been on or are on that have superior writing. BSG, House, West Wing, The Wire, etc. 24 is candy, not a fine wine. If you think it is greater than what it actually is then you are a fool. It's mindless entertainment, no need to sit down and "think" to enjoy this show.