Records That Will Never Be Broken

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was talk that it was on the board of governor's agenda at the all-star break. Apparently there is talk about expanding to 32 teams with cities such as Kansas City, Houston, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, and Kitchener/Waterloo being considered.
I really don't think I'd be too opposed to this if it helps grow the game in the U.S. and makes huge strides to where it should be. Everywhere I look now it's NASCAR on ESPN and it's getting kind of sick, I just wish it was hockey.
5 goals 5 ways isn't really a record but I can't see anyone repeating Mario's Magic.Even StrengthPower PlayShort HandedPenalty ShotEmpty Net
QFTYou rarely see an entire team do that in a game, nevertheless one player

I'll tell you one that I never thought would be broken, but I've changed my mind: Most goals by brothers. The current record (and it's a great trivia question) is held by the Gretzky's ( Waynes 894 and Brent's 1 ) But the Staal brothers could wipe that out easily....

I'll tell you one that I never thought would be broken, but I've changed my mind: Most goals by brothers. The current record (and it's a great trivia question) is held by the Gretzky's ( Waynes 894 and Brent's 1 ) But the Staal brothers could wipe that out easily....
Good point, considering there's 4 of them.
Good point, considering there's 4 of them.
I think the record that applies there is goals by a pair of brothers. If you're allowed to use an entire family of brothers then the Sutters have that number beat:Ron - 205 GoalsRich - 149 GoalsDuane - 139 GoalsDarryl - 161 GoalsBrian - 303 GoalsBrent - 363 GoalsFor a total of 1320 goals by the brothers. So that would be the number the Staal's would have to live up to.
I don't think so...not "easily" anyhow.What's a great year now? Let's say 40 goals.If the Staal bros. each had ten 40-goal years that's still only 800 goals and it's hard to have a long productive career like that.
I don't think so...not "easily" anyhow.What's a great year now? Let's say 40 goals.If the Staal bros. each had ten 40-goal years that's still only 800 goals and it's hard to have a long productive career like that.
There are 4 Staals1600 goals
I think the record that applies there is goals by a pair of brothers. If you're allowed to use an entire family of brothers then the Sutters have that number beat:Ron - 205 GoalsRich - 149 GoalsDuane - 139 GoalsDarryl - 161 GoalsBrian - 303 GoalsBrent - 363 GoalsFor a total of 1320 goals by the brothers. So that would be the number the Staal's would have to live up to.
I love the story of the Sutters. Seven brothers, 6 make it to the NHL. The lone brother who doesn't wins the lottery. Amazing!Sorry, back on track - Gordie Howe's games played. Not just NHL, but professionally with the WHA as well (2186 GP). Even his NHL record of 1767 is pretty tough to beat. Messier came close, but the way the game is now, I don't think anybody could do that anymore. There's not enough respect anymore.

Lets be more realistic: two Staals, averaging 30 goals per season playing til their 35. Call it 15 seasons each. 30 Seasons X 30 goals = 900 goals. I didn't say they were shoe ins, but they definately have a very realistic shot.

How about wins in a season? Detroit has the record with 62 wins (82 game season I think?)It seems plausible that it could be beaten especially now that there are no ties... but on the other hand, with the salary cap, teams just can't be as dominate over the rest of the league as they used to be able to.

I see your brothers and raise you a father/son tandem. The Hulls, 1351. ( regular season only)
There are 4 Staals1600 goals
Lets be more realistic: two Staals, averaging 30 goals per season playing til their 35. Call it 15 seasons each. 30 Seasons X 30 goals = 900 goals. I didn't say they were shoe ins, but they definately have a very realistic shot.
I'd like to point out that there's only a very small handful of current NHL'ers (I'd say less than 15) who can stake a claim to averaging 30 or more goals per season over the past 10 years, let alone 15 of them. I think the Staal brothers (and I'm talking about Jordan and Eric, since Marc is a defensive defenseman and Jared isn't even drafted yet) are excellent scorers, but it's a bit premature to project them in the league of guys like Brendan Shanahan, Teemu Selanne, and Joe Sakic. Even a guy like Naslund, who has to be considered an elite scorer in the NHL, doesn't have a 30+ GPS average. It's tough to be that consistant over the course of a 15+ year career. Might be easier in the current age of higher emphasis on goal scoring, but time will have to tell on that.
I'd like to point out that there's only a very small handful of current NHL'ers (I'd say less than 15) who can stake a claim to averaging 30 or more goals per season over the past 10 years, let alone 15 of them. I think the Staal brothers (and I'm talking about Jordan and Eric, since Marc is a defensive defenseman and Jared isn't even drafted yet) are excellent scorers, but it's a bit premature to project them in the league of guys like Brendan Shanahan, Teemu Selanne, and Joe Sakic. Even a guy like Naslund, who has to be considered an elite scorer in the NHL, doesn't have a 30+ GPS average. It's tough to be that consistant over the course of a 15+ year career. Might be easier in the current age of higher emphasis on goal scoring, but time will have to tell on that.
I agree with everything except Marc Staal being a defensive defenseman. He's more of a Chris Pronger type d-man.
I agree with everything except Marc Staal being a defensive defenseman. He's more of a Chris Pronger type d-man.
Hmm, I didn't know that. I seemed to remember an article I read about him that said he was more of a stay at home guy than an offensive weapon.
Hmm, I didn't know that. I seemed to remember an article I read about him that said he was more of a stay at home guy than an offensive weapon.
Yeah I heard the same thing, that he's got great projection to be a great defensive defenseman and needs to know when to step into the play a little more. Either way, that Staal family definitely knows how to breed 'em :club:
Yeah I heard the same thing, that he's got great projection to be a great defensive defenseman and needs to know when to step into the play a little more. Either way, that Staal family definitely knows how to breed 'em :club:
I think there's something in the water up here.You guys should have seen me playing in my prime. :D