This Has To Be Incorrect

Ok, so im teaching a friend how to play holdem. We are playing 2c 4c limit holdem on Absolute Poker when this hand comes up:Stage #554516609: Holdem Normal $0.02/$0.04 - 2007-01-24 13:51:42 (ET)Table: CALDERON RD. (Real Money) Seat #1 is the dealerSeat 1 - DEVITO ($0.27 in chips)Seat 2 - GUYFLEEGMAN ($1.13 in chips)Seat 3 - PAPARIPCORD ($0.22 in chips)Seat 4 - FLASH_E ($0.89 in chips)Seat 5 - GOLDWIZE1 ($0.29 in chips)Seat 6 - SMITTY1420 ($0.14 in chips)GUYFLEEGMAN - Posts small blind $0.01PAPARIPCORD - Posts big blind $0.02*** POCKET CARDS ***Dealt to GUYFLEEGMAN [5s Ac] FLASH_E - Calls $0.02GOLDWIZE1 - Calls $0.02SMITTY1420 - FoldsDEVITO - Calls $0.02GUYFLEEGMAN - Calls $0.01PAPARIPCORD - Checks*** FLOP *** [As 10h 6s]GUYFLEEGMAN - Bets $0.02PAPARIPCORD - Calls $0.02FLASH_E - FoldsGOLDWIZE1 - Calls $0.02DEVITO - Folds*** TURN *** [As 10h 6s] [8h]GUYFLEEGMAN - Bets $0.04PAPARIPCORD - FoldsGOLDWIZE1 - Raises $0.08 to $0.08GUYFLEEGMAN - Calls $0.04*** RIVER *** [As 10h 6s 8h] [3s]GUYFLEEGMAN - ChecksGOLDWIZE1 - Checks*** SHOW DOWN ***GUYFLEEGMAN - Shows [5s Ac] (One pair, aces) GOLDWIZE1 - Shows [Ah 4h] (One pair, aces) GUYFLEEGMAN Collects $0.15 from main potGOLDWIZE1 Collects $0.16 from main pot*** SUMMARY ***Total Pot($0.32) | Rake ($0.01)Board [As 10h 6s 8h 3s]Seat 1: DEVITO (dealer) Folded on the FLOPSeat 2: GUYFLEEGMAN (small blind) won Total ($0.15) HI:($0.15) with One pair, aces [5s Ac - B:As,P:Ac,B:10h,B:8h,B:6s] Seat 3: PAPARIPCORD (big blind) Folded on the TURNSeat 4: FLASH_E Folded on the FLOPSeat 5: GOLDWIZE1 won Total ($0.16) HI:($0.16) with One pair, aces [Ah 4h - B:As,P:Ah,B:10h,B:8h,B:6s] Seat 6: SMITTY1420 Folded on the POCKET CARDSSo no biggie, both had Ace rag, and its a split pot.The thing that struck me as odd was that they awarded the extra 1c to the other player who had better position. It was my understanding that the more vulnerable position- the blind- would get the extra whatever in case of a split pot. So i email them:In this hand, a split pot occurred. Shouldnt the blind get more than the player in later or better position?Its not about the 1c of course, but everywhere in the world the blind is the more vulnerable position and gets the extra coin or $ in a split situation.To which they replied:Dear ,Thank you for contacting us.We reviewed the hand and the player GOLDWIZE1 received the $0.01 extra because he had the higher suited Ace. In this hand he had a Ah and you had a Ac, meaning that the Ah is suited higher than the Ac.Thanks for playing at Absolute Poker! If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. We are here for you!Thoughts?

i would email them back and ask them for the ranking of the different suits so that you can know which one is ranked higher...just to see their response. G (-:club: a matter or fact i would even ask them for the link where it is posted/published...

I assume they using the same suit ranking for poker as bridge: Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs. Poker has suit-ranking for cases where two players get the same straight flush by rank, or, as in this case, in a split pot. There are, at this time, no hard and fast hold'em rules. Something that needs fixing. Making awarding the extra $ positional, is an anomaly of poker games with blinds. Obviously, in forms of poker, where there are antes only, this wouldn't work.

Actually, sounds about right. Now, if their rule on split pots is as you stated, OP, then there's a problem and they need to either rectify it or officially change the rule. But otherwise, point.

Shouldn't you be pwning a tourny about now? GLGLGL!
Ship it! I used up all my pwning last night I think, which is fine by me :club: Phone went off at 8am this morning, I can't fall back asleep, and now I have to go pick Henry up at the airport in an hour. Bleh.Mark---- End thread hijack

i was under the impression that hands were never ranked by suit in holdem. there should be no point in which the suit is needed to determine the best hand. It is not like 7 card stud where two people can have the exact same flush. The only time the suit determines anything is when setting the seating for a table or for racing off chips as far as i know.

I assume they using the same suit ranking for poker as bridge: Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs. Poker has suit-ranking for cases where two players get the same straight flush by rank, or, as in this case, in a split pot.
In what game?!

According to Wikipedia's rules for Texas Hold'em, there are hard and fast rules.

If the best hand is shared by more than one player, then the pot is split equally among them, with any extra chips going to the first players after the button in clockwise order. It is common for players to have closely-valued, but not identically ranked hands. Nevertheless, one must be careful in determining the best hand; if the hand involves fewer than five cards, (such as two pair or three of a kind), then kickers are used to settle ties (see the second example below). Note that the card's numerical rank is of sole importance; suit values are irrelevant in Hold'em.

you are correct - i've never heard of suits ranking in hold 'em, where they are irrelevant since people cannot have two different flushes.i would email them back and ask for the mistake to be corrected. cite hoyle's rules if necessary, because that is a pretty stupid and unnecessary mistake.if they insist that these are the rules, ask how they rank the suits!

It's a frieken penny! It will always be a frieken penny! You can split a $2434.51 pot, and you're still only going to get screwed out of a PENNY!!</Rant>

You're such a pimp!And yea, theyre retarded. Suit ranking is for Stud games to determine bring-ins.According to Robert:5. If two or more hands tie, an odd chip will be awarded as follows: (a) In a button game, the first hand clockwise from the button gets the odd chip.

Thanks to the previous poster who clarified everything by reminding us that it is just a penny. It is refreshing to see such intelligence from a poster on a poker forum. One would normally have to go to a bowling alley to encounter a person of such intelligence.Absolute Poker are so retarded. This is their reply to my asking them to show me where it says that in their rules:Dear ,Thank you for contacting us.Our system has been created in order to be as fair as possible when it comes to this kind of situations, as it has been explained previously. You had a lower suited card and this determined who received the extra cent.If you have any more doubts or questions regarding our system rules please visit the following link:http://www.absolutepoker.com/gettingStarted/infoRules.aspThanks for playing at Absolute Poker! If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. We are here for you!I could not find anything about suit ranking there.

Thanks to the previous poster who clarified everything by reminding us that it is just a penny. It is refreshing to see such intelligence from a poster on a poker forum. One would normally have to go to a bowling alley to encounter a person of such intelligence.Absolute Poker are so retarded. This is their reply to my asking them to show me where it says that in their rules:Dear ,Thank you for contacting us.Our system has been created in order to be as fair as possible when it comes to this kind of situations, as it has been explained previously. You had a lower suited card and this determined who received the extra cent.If you have any more doubts or questions regarding our system rules please visit the following link:http://www.absolutepoker.com/gettingStarted/infoRules.aspThanks for playing at Absolute Poker! If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. We are here for you!I could not find anything about suit ranking there.
Well somebody had to slap some sense into your empty head..may as well be me. See you at the bowling alley!
Well somebody had to rationalize wasting hours a day on a poker forum where they contribute nothing! See you at the bowling alley, if I have left my house!
wheee.to the OP - this is pretty weird, and obviously they're wrong. all i can suggest is to ask them what the suit rankings are, though of course it means nothing because they are just pennies.still pretty weird that they'd screw up such an easy rule.
wheee.to the OP - this is pretty weird, and obviously they're wrong. all i can suggest is to ask them what the suit rankings are, though of course it means nothing because they are just pennies.still pretty weird that they'd screw up such an easy rule.
That's just grossly false mr. whoever you are.