Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

It's easier to compare cross era than it is to project how a player's physical attributes would change with different training/nutrition.

You may very well be right, but we never saw the player that Gretzky could have been in this era. We have seen the player that Crosby is in this era.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

Im with Arp..Crosby is a great player..

But Gretzky was far far ahead of his peers..He was way more dominant...

People that are older than me say the same about ORR..I have never seen ORR play...Colton Orr but not Bobby..

Dubey i think you are way off base..Crosby is great..Gretzky was on a different level...I am not sure how many games you have seen Gretzky play..But it was just ridicolous the stuff he used to do..

I do agree that Gretzky is the most dominant hockey player of all time, just not the best :)

I don't think Gretzky's game would translate that well to the Modern NHL, but I believe Crosby would be a superstar in every era.

Just my opinion anyway, I do realize it's a pointless comparison that can't be quantified.

Could Messier possibly be any more overrated?

Lafontaine was awesome, however. Don't think he's better than Crosby, though.

For my money, Mario was the best hockey player. I've never seen Orr play, he's probably up there. So far ahead of his time among defense.

Bobby Orr was the greatest hockey player ever.

Signed,

Even Older, probably just as Grumpy, Old Man

FYP

will be awesome to see someone come out and say Gordie Howe. We really need an over 60 member here.

Could Messier possibly be any more overrated?

I dont need to see NYR Messier and his declaration/promise of winning game 7. Thats the crap that builds his hype for people today, and they forget how great he was as an Oiler.

1987-1991 (rough estim) Messier was unreal, maybe better then Wayne even.

That's probably fair, Arp.

man, such a quick give up! lol.

but you guys are right, tough to compare era's.

And I can see the argyment for Crosby being the best ever.....I just find it too hard to ignore Wayne+Mario. Messier could have been in that discussion, but he just had too many years of average and that seems to bring down a players aura years after when they talk about him.

And I never really watched Orr, so who knows.

Hell, maybe Ted Lindsay was way better then all of them, how the hell would I know.

Orr changed how hockey was played. If they had today's ways of dealing with knee injuries when he played I don't think there would be any argument.

It comes down to how you define best.

Crosby is a complete hockey player whereas Gretzky & Lemieux were two of the best offensive players to ever play.

Orr was an amazing player to watch. He could take control of a game and looked like a man playing shinny against kids sometimes. He changed the NHL.

Back even further and you have to talk about Rocket Richard. People say from the blueline in he was the best. A combination of talent, determination and a mean streak like nobody else.

With all the knowledge regarding training, nutrition, equipment, etc, it's hard in today's NHL to be significantly better than everyone else in the league. I think this is what gives Dubey's claim some credibility. Crosby this season has distanced himself from his peers in a way that hasn't been seen since Gretzky/Lemieux, but he's doing it in an era where it should be harder to do such a thing. However, it is a small sample size :)

His points per game has been about what it is this season, since the 2010/11 season, prior to his first concussion, when he had 32+34 in the first 41 games before going down.

Points are obviously just one metric, but he's been on another planet, points-wise, since November 2010. It's 150 points in 91 games.

It really is too bad about his injuries. We should have been having this conversation 2 years ago, as he would have likely approached 130+ points in 10/11, and probably repeated or topped it the following year. Such a shame to waste 2 prime years, basically. His numbers and overall game are great, but they'll just look so much better when he puts one 82-game season together.

Skated alone today. Was ruled out for the weekend. Guessing it won't be 3 weeks. Probably back next week, would be my guess. They haven't been too detailed on it, or I've just missed the news, maybe.

Who do you guys think is better? Malkin or Crosby? Crosby is mainly a playmaker, and Malkin is mainly a sniper.

Russians are good eaters