Grilled Cheese!

all about the ingredients. wonderbread and kraft singles does not a delicious grilled cheese make. you want to start with a nice fresh sourdough or rye. then you want to use a nice, firm cheese. gruyere is the absolute best for grilled cheese IMO, but a good cheddar will do. if you're feeling saucy, you can add a little smoked salmon or tomato. and finally, you don't want to ruin the bread by douching it with butter. use as little as possible in the pan and on the bread. final product should be a little crispy, not soggy.smuggers!!
I love how the whole comment is so smug, and then you use the term douching...

At the lunch counter today, I order my grilled swiss with tomato and pickles on whole wheat. I get a bowl of soup and I pour my ice tea. The counter girl calls out my sandwich "grilled swiss, tomato, pickle on wheat" as 2 women walk in. One says to the other that sounds good and I hear them both order my sandwich as I leave.Proof that I know what makes the best grilled cheese sandwich! :club:

2 slices of white bread both buttered on both sides1 processed cheese slice
The old Canadian fave...what I grew up on...the secret is buttering and grilling the INSIDE of the sammich first...then putting on the cheese...then grilling both outsides...yummy.
The old Canadian fave...what I grew up on...the secret is buttering and grilling the INSIDE of the sammich first...then putting on the cheese...then grilling both outsides...yummy.
I searched for this thread because I'm getting a buzz, and grilled cheese sounds really good...and I never thought about grilling the inside of the sandwich first. I'm so doing that tonight.
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread is worth a bump so I can give you all a wonderful gift. The next grilled cheese you make, instead of buttering the inside, spread olive oil on each slice. Then butter the outside for appropriate grilling. Use whatever cheeses and toppings you feel like (adding a little garlic or sea salt goes well with the oil), and be prepared for a little slippage if the cheese gets really melty. But it's really worth it. Also, if you're going to eat these, keep your cardiologist on speed dial.

I'm trying to make a grilled cheese sandwich that looks like Britney Spears' vagina so I can sell it on ebay for thousands. I have the (imagined) odour (I'm using limburger) down pat, but it still looks too nice to pass as the original.

I'm trying to make a grilled cheese sandwich that looks like Britney Spears' vagina so I can sell it on ebay for thousands. I have the (imagined) odour (I'm using limburger) down pat, but it still looks too nice to pass as the original.
LOL nh. Your nasty. I like it. On a side note I just opened up a can of spam.
A few GC comments...1) What's with the processed cheese? Am I the only one that hates it? I mean, I'll eat it here and there when it's all I have, but it suuuucks.2) I usually make mine on the foreman, good stuff.3) I also have a sammich maker that does a decent job.4) I'm not a fan of tomato soup.5) Pickles = worst food ever6) Try it with PB next time.
I'm all about the foreman too.Rye with chedda in a foreman. I dip mine in ketchup though.Good stuff.20051117_IMG_2810_s.jpg