Im a solid tourney player whos tourney game is usually better then my cash game even tho my cg is still pretty good. Im an above average 1 2 nl player and have gotten beat at 2/4 nl the two times i tried it. However, I got it into my head that itd be a cool idea to try and min-buy at a 5/10 nl game. (200 bucks, which is what I would pump into a 1 2 nl game) Its been working and Im up 6,200 in the last 2 days. (playing 23 hrs) I feel it works because I can push with good hands and they call with ace hi because 200 bucks doesn't matter to them. Do you think its because Im running well? If I lose how many min buyins should I quit this idea? Do I ever buy in more then a min buy? Lastly, do I ever move up to min buyins at 10/20 nl??How crazy am I??

Mini buys and pushing sounds like a natural thing for a tourney style player to try. The real profit in NL is stacking the other players, can't do that if you aint got the chips.What do you do when you are up after your mimi buy, cash out?

Mini buys and pushing sounds like a natural thing for a tourney style player to try. The real profit in NL is stacking the other players, can't do that if you aint got the chips.What do you do when you are up after your mimi buy, cash out?
I usually start with 215-225 and quit when im up to 700-800. I can usually lose 2 buyins and have one triple up atleast.. Youd be suprised but getting to 700 from 215 isnt that many hands at all.

Buying in short is a good strategy.I have a question for you: if you buy in at $200, then why not get up once you hit $400? Or buy in for $400?It doesn't seem logical to buy in at $200 and stay until $700.

Buying in short is a good strategy.I have a question for you: if you buy in at $200, then why not get up once you hit $400? Or buy in for $400?It doesn't seem logical to buy in at $200 and stay until $700.
Good point. Also a lot of people seem to think min buying into NL cash games is unprofitable and stupid, but it seems like it is possible to make it work especially for people who have more experience in tournys. (shortstacks)However I do realize that it pisses a lot of people off.

I think this method could work if you execute it correctly. I think once you double or triple your buyin then you should think about leaving. This seems fine to me.

Good point. Also a lot of people seem to think min buying into NL cash games is unprofitable and stupid, but it seems like it is possible to make it work especially for people who have more experience in tournys. (shortstacks)However I do realize that it pisses a lot of people off.
No I love seeing guys sit down with a small stack, more often then not they get blown out of the water fast. But if you stop thinking hit and run and look at it as one long game a full stack is the only way to go.Tourney players taking a shot at the cash games, hmmmm yum yum
No I love seeing guys sit down with a small stack, more often then not they get blown out of the water fast. But if you stop thinking hit and run and look at it as one long game a full stack is the only way to go.Tourney players taking a shot at the cash games, hmmmm yum yum
Just because bad players play short stacks doesn't mean that playing a short stack makes you a bad player. Playing a full stack is not the only way to go.

Min buy-in is a great strategy if done right. Some pros even recommend it for building stacks.Let me illustate.... Buy-in 2/5 game for $200 wait for AA, KK, QQ, or AK these hands come about every 42/43 hands on average. Actuary? You get one of these hands, you push all-in pre-flop no matter the action. You will many times get called out of curiosity's sake. You're a strong favorite nearly every time. You don't get called you collect the blinds and wait for the next opp.DRAWBACKS. If your a poker player, esp. a LAG, it is nerve raking to fold JJ and AQs in late position and you can get bored. You can never stray from the strategy or you screw up the whole thing.When done correctly it is profitable. I have done it playing live 1/2 in AC and averaged over $50p/h when the cards were running good.Remember never stray from the strategy and you MUST leave the table anytime to get called whether you win or lose. The cat is out the bag and smart players will realize what your doing.Comments Actuary? Haters? Debaters?

Min buy-in is a great strategy if done right. Some pros even recommend it for building stacks.Let me illustate.... Buy-in 2/5 game for $200 wait for AA, KK, QQ, or AK these hands come about every 42/43 hands on average. Actuary? You get one of these hands, you push all-in pre-flop no matter the action. You will many times get called out of curiosity's sake. You're a strong favorite nearly every time. You don't get called you collect the blinds and wait for the next opp.DRAWBACKS. If your a poker player, esp. a LAG, it is nerve raking to fold JJ and AQs in late position and you can get bored. You can never stray from the strategy or you screw up the whole thing.When done correctly it is profitable. I have done it playing live 1/2 in AC and averaged over $50p/h when the cards were running good.Remember never stray from the strategy and you MUST leave the table anytime to get called whether you win or lose. The cat is out the bag and smart players will realize what your doing.Comments Actuary? Haters? Debaters?
Guy did an article in cardplayer on this exact strategy, i think it was called something like how to make 34.80 an hour playing poker.It actually is quite a good strategy for making money, but it's not playing poker, or not the same as playing poker.Basicly your just taking advantage of the fact that people will play badly against your short stack.It is a good tool for bankroll building, and suprising how easy it is to get it as a preflop favorite.It's also very good for people who can't play big stack micro buy in poker bc of discipline issues. (ME!)Much more fun(easier to pay attention to, play right) to buy short into a 1/2 game than buy deep in a .05/.10I my do an experiment for the new year playing say .50/1 buying in short and track with pokertracker to see how profitable it can be.
Guy did an article in cardplayer on this exact strategy, i think it was called something like how to make 34.80 an hour playing poker.It actually is quite a good strategy for making money, but it's not playing poker, or not the same as playing poker.Basicly your just taking advantage of the fact that people will play badly against your short stack.It is a good tool for bankroll building, and suprising how easy it is to get it as a preflop favorite.It's also very good for people who can't play big stack micro buy in poker bc of discipline issues. (ME!)Much more fun(easier to pay attention to, play right) to buy short into a 1/2 game than buy deep in a .05/.10I my do an experiment for the new year playing say .50/1 buying in short and track with pokertracker to see how profitable it can be.
Exactly where I first discovered it. Believe me it works, at least live in Atlantic City. It is very hard to do when you love to see flops. I would actually rather pay someone who does not know anything about poker to do this rather than do it myself.A story to illustrate. AC, seven people limp in to a pot where I'm big blind. I have poket aces, I go all-in for $45 more, three people call me, best hand was K10s I think. He flopped a flush draw but I won the hand.Other side I do it with AKo UTG pocket 6s and 8s fold I take down the blinds.Sometimes you lose, but if you have enough to min buy-in 5 times your almost a lock to make money.

You'd have to be retarded to fold JJ or AQ in late position. You know you don't have to just shove preflop, you can still play poker.-also to the how to make $34.8/hr, that's also retarded. It completely depends on where you play. Your opponents would have to be horrendous for this strategy to be profitable.

You'd have to be retarded to fold JJ or AQ in late position. You know you don't have to just shove preflop, you can still play poker.-also to the how to make $34.8/hr, that's also retarded. It completely depends on where you play. Your opponents would have to be horrendous for this strategy to be profitable.
For the article the guy did it in Las Vegas. If you play 1/2 or 2/5 nl I could see this working very well as the players are simply awful.
Guess what buddy? Your retarded! Someone is telling you that they have done it in real life and another person is telling you that an article was written about it working yet you dismiss it as a possibility? Your retarded! And if there where no horrendous players than we would all be relegated to freerolls. Just think YOU raise it to $15 and some new guy puts his whole $50 in the middle. What hands do you call with? If they are only AA, KK, QQ and AK then your retarded!Oh and other guy, it only usually works once on a table. Gotta hit and run.
Guess what buddy? Your retarded! Someone is telling you that they have done it in real life and another person is telling you that an article was written about it working yet you dismiss it as a possibility? Your retarded! And if there where no horrendous players than we would all be relegated to freerolls. Just think YOU raise it to $15 and some new guy puts his whole $50 in the middle. What hands do you call with? If they are only AA, KK, QQ and AK then your retarded!Oh and other guy, it only usually works once on a table. Gotta hit and run.
WTF are you talking about, you retarded piece of ****. Find me a game where you can just go allin preflop with the top 4 hands and make that much money per hour. Folding JJ is ---------------------------EV.
Guess what buddy? Your retarded! Someone is telling you that they have done it in real life and another person is telling you that an article was written about it working yet you dismiss it as a possibility? Your retarded! And if there where no horrendous players than we would all be relegated to freerolls. Just think YOU raise it to $15 and some new guy puts his whole $50 in the middle. What hands do you call with? If they are only AA, KK, QQ and AK then your retarded! Oh and other guy, it only usually works once on a table. Gotta hit and run.
You're post is excellent.

I hate f-cking shortstacks. Especially when I'm playing HU with like 5 buy ins on the table and they come and sit for the min. The strategy defiantely works because i'm always paying them off.