tough call in a 5/10 nl game

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would actually push it all right there. The rock has 1500 and if he calls you have a monster draw. The other guy is pretty wild, but you just won a big pot, have a reputation for solid play and your check raise will command respect. Plus you limped in from a blind so you could easily have anything. Most likely you will take the pot down there and if not, you are drawing to a big hand with a big pot. The most you can lose is 4 grand and you are playing with their money. Easy time to take this risk to hope to take the pot there while still gambling for the rest of it. You may knock out a simple flush draw that is higher.my first post . . so feel free to call me an idiot.

the player who raised probably has a bigger oneBigger than AKs?He must have the slusive AAs, that lucky censored.IF you can't call here, stop playing NL immediately.
This is a different hand we're talking about now. Please look two or three posts above this one and stop jumping to conclusions.

You make it sound soooo obvious.Anyways, I considered that the super aggressive raiser could have a wide range of hands and I also kept in mind that I am the big stack by a wide margin at the table so I just called the 400. The Rock in the BB thought about it for a really really long time and then just called. Him just calling actually had me super worried....I immediately put him on a set....just that was my feeling from the way he played.Anyways, now there is just over 1300 hundred in the pot. I have 10-8 clubs. Flop was 9 7 2 with two clubs.Turn peels off.6d.Obviously I love this card. (I like to think I am a pretty solid poker player and I have booked some good wins before but I was definitely running good last night.)I check. ( In retrospect, I think maybe this was a bad check but thats what I did anyways. Was this a bad check?? let me know.)BB pushes all-in for his last 1100 or so. UTG guy folds quickly. I of course instantly call.He flips over a set of ducks.He mutters a profanity as I flip over my straight. He mutters a louder profanity when the Ace of spades peels off on the river. Sometimes poker is great 8)

I like the $400 call. Either the rock just calls (which he did), or goes all in. If the rock goes all, and the aggressive guys calls or reraises the all in, then guess you fold.I'd probably push after I made my straight, if aggressive guy was on a flush draw, and the rock checked, he'd get a free card.But then again, I am not all that knowledgable about this stuff.

Yes, a pretty easy call I think on the flop. Not because of your flush draw (which I would in no way rely on), but because of your straight draw and the deceptiveness of it. If a 6 or a J hits on the turn, there's no way your opponent would be able to put you on T8 unless you stand up and chant, "2-4-10-8, who do we appreciate?.. the nuts...the nuts...the nuts." :-) This is one of those situations where pot odds are out the window and implied odds are all that matter. With a draw like that, I only fold if I see the raiser has a small stack and it's not worth it to chase. Because I plan on taking every single nickel in front of him with this hand.

I think you replied to wuick this time, but here is my opinion.1) I think you have to call here, since the rock led out betting, most likely he is going to call a fairly small raise especially since you are calling too. Your best scenario, I think, is that the rock reraises all in and the aggressive guy folds. Now you know for sure that you have the 15 outs and maybe even your T is good (but probably not). 2) you called and hit your wonderful card. You have to check, if your read on the rock is that he has a set, which I would have put him on top pair or two pair rather, he was BB and didn't have to put any more money in the pot, this card should not worry him too much and he will lead out betting. If the agg guy also has a flush draw, he might call in which case you could reraise him all in and he would fold. So a check is good here. Remember, that you have 2 of the clubs, so even if he has a higher flush draw, he is drawing to 7 outs which he will not call his whole stack with one card to come. 3) You didn't get outdrawn and won another awesome pot. Want to give me a loan :-) Just kidding, nice playing.

No loans :-) LOLYeah, it was that kind of good hot cards night. After buying in for 2000 bucks I was upto about 9500 and looking to go home and get some sleep so I would not be a zombie at work today. I get to the point where I say I will play until it is my BB and then leave. So what happens? I pick up aces one hand before being UTG and some other poor schmuck had kings. I picked up another 3000 bucks or so on that hand (I raised to 50, he re-raised to 200, I re-raised to 800 and he went all-in pre flop....) and cashed out for a nice 10k profit. Isn't it nice to hear a poker story with a happy ending!?!?!?!

Do yourself a favour and buy a book. It'll save you a lot of money in the long run. That's about 3 BBs to save way more than that overall in your 5/10 NL game.I don't mean to be rude, but if you're having trouble calling all-in with TPTK and the nut flush draw on an unpaired board, I'd love to have you in my game. This is considering the amount in the pot, and how much it is to you.

if you're having trouble calling all-in with TPTK and the nut flush draw on an unpaired board, I'd love to have you in my game. This was an unnecessary comment. He did make the call, he just had to think about it first. He didn't like his hand too much, but in the end did put the chips in. Making rash and automatic calls without thinking is how you get your butt handed to you.

Ok I havent posted a hand on here yet but I finally found one to post so here goes:Live game....25/.50 NL (25.00 max buy in)I have about 142.50 in front of me....7 players total at the table. I am on the button. I get dealt AK of spades. Guy in 5th position bumps it to 2.50. I re-raise to 12.50. He flat calls VERY QUICKLY. I am concerned. Flop comes:Ah 10s 6sI like this flop obviously. He checks. I make a pot sized bet of 15.00. He instantly re-raises me and goes all in (He started the hand with about 50.00 so it was 45.00 more to call roughly.)So what do you guys do here?? I will post what happened and my thinking behind it in a little bit....Andrew
Okay, looking at it with numbers I'm comfortable with...go ahead and call. It's a pretty easy call to me. :)As for the second hand, I would've called the 400 dollar bet if I was certain the rock wasn't going to re-raise all in behind me.Peace,Jay
Hes got A10i fold the AK and flush draw. wait for a better hand
you should consider quitting poker. even if he has A10, you are slightly worse than a coin flip to win the hand.--roughly 53% to 47% my math could be a little off, but if you think he has A10 you HAVE to call based on the math.
Unless this guy is a very bad player, the only two hands he can have are AK and 10 10. Smooth-calling with AA out of position is a tremendous mistake. It' s also unlikely he called that raise with 66, unless you have been super-aggressive. He simply cannot have AQ if he has a clue how to play. Despite what some have said, you aren't getting the right price if you are up against a set. However, since it is slightly more likely that he has AK, a call is correct here.
why is smooth calling with AA out of position a tremedous mistake? that makes no sense to me. I think its a good and deceptive play to use sometimes.

why is smooth calling with AA out of position a tremedous mistake? that makes no sense to me. I think its a good and deceptive play to use sometimes.It deceptively ofers you the chance to get most of the money in when you're beat instead of when you're guranteed to have the best hand.Creative!

Easy fold for me. But I don't think you would.Just look at the way you played.Preflop: raised to 25 times of BB with AKs at the button?Flop, he checked and you made pot-sized bet. He would either fold to you but when he went all-in, he had better cards than you did.Knowing you are the very aggressive type, I wouldn't mind going allin to have you called.And no, you don't have the pot odd to call.
your way to tight :roll: and getting 2-1 on a coinflip is good enough for me :!:
why is smooth calling with AA out of position a tremedous mistake? that makes no sense to me. I think its a good and deceptive play to use sometimes.It deceptively ofers you the chance to get most of the money in when you're beat instead of when you're guranteed to have the best hand.Creative!
If I make it 50 with AA and someone makes it 250 behind me, sometimes I will smooth call.hmmmmAA against either KK,QQ JJ or AK. what other hands can he have. if I smoothcall and the flop comes 2 7 9 I get all the $$$ no one is putting me on AA. I'll take my chances SOMETIMES smoothcalling. so hurry back to your 2cent game smash
Hes got A10i fold the AK and flush draw.  wait for a better hand
you should consider quitting poker. even if he has A10, you are slightly worse than a coin flip to win the hand.--roughly 53% to 47% my math could be a little off, but if you think he has A10 you HAVE to call based on the math.
Why is it that every time someone doesn't think like another person, the phrase "You should consider quitting poker" comes out? Man, lighten up.

Unless this guy is the rock to end all rocks or you're playing with the deed to your house on the table, you're calling that shit.

It deceptively ofers you the chance to get most of the money in when you're beat instead of when you're guranteed to have the best hand.
Depends on position and the table you're playing at. If a predictable player makes a reasonable (but small) sized raise in early position and im one of the first to act on his bet at a particularly aggressive table, I will smooth call. Especially if the initial raise is by a weak player who the others target to push around. After they do the raising with near rags and the initial raiser calls reluctantly, I clearly reraise - which unfortunately reveals my hand to all but the incompetent players at the table. Nonetheless, if the initial raiser has called the first reraise, he'll feel "pot commited" (sign of a 'tard) to call me down with his A/Q, or something ridiculous like that. Kings, however, I never slow play. ;)If you're last to act preflop though, i agree - never just call. It's not worth the deception. It really depends on the table though, when you arent last to act. With no knowledge of the competition, I'll bet it hard every time.
Why is it that every time someone doesn't think like another person, the phrase "You should consider quitting poker" comes out? Man, lighten up.
I whole heartedly encourage anyone who would fold in that situation to play as much poker as they possibly can, preferably against me.
If I make it 50 with AA and someone makes it 250 behind me, sometimes I will smooth call.hmmmmAA against either KK,QQ JJ or AK. what other hands can he have. if I smoothcall and the flop comes 2 7 9 I get all the $$$ no one is putting me on AA. I'll take my chances SOMETIMES smoothcalling. so hurry back to your 2cent game smash
I think it depends alot on what type of player re-raiser is. If you have a read on that player, LAP, I would definatly go with smash here. If player is a rock I think smooth calling might be a better option, because a re-raise might just make him lay down KK or QQ....
I whole heartedly encourage anyone who would fold in that situation to play as much poker as they possibly can, preferably against me.
My argument isn't that folding is correct, my argument is that it is pointless to say "you should consider quitting poker" just because someone wanted advice on how to play a hand. Try putting that phrase at the front of your post every time you give advice on a hand. See what type of response you get.
Hes got A10i fold the AK and flush draw.  wait for a better hand
you are right swift. I didnt mean to be rude. but its such a clear call, a half decent player would know that even against 2 pair or a set you MUST call
you are right swift. I didnt mean to be rude. but its such a clear call, a half decent player would know that even against 2 pair or a set you MUST call
Fair enough, I don't believe most people online actually mean to sound as rude as they have typed. Regardless, now he knows to make this call from now on.
OK.............that was my initial instinct to fold, i was just saying i knew what he had and that AK was beat. i was also thinking in the terms of tourney play where calling would be a large portion of your stack. i mostly play tourneys so i was in the wrong mind set.reevaluating i make the call too. I'll play you anytime!!!!!