Dn, When You Went Broke, How Did You Get Unbroke?

I'm just curious as to how a pro handles having no bankroll. God knows I've gone from zero to several grand many times but I just replenish my roll with money I make from work. I'm obviously also not a pro so going poker broke is no big deal and technically is 5k or even 10k really a bankroll? So, I know you went broke the first few times going to vegas and playing with the sharks like Harman back in the day until eventually you could beat the game but how did you go broke after winning your first bracelet? Thx for your time.

When I was playing $10-$20 and $20-$40 all I really needed was like $500 or $1000. By the time I was playing $80-$160, a $5000 loan would go a long way. Especially if I played $30-$60 for a while. One day, I'll tell you a great story about two weeks of $30-$60, 140 hours in two weeks....

When I was playing $10-$20 and $20-$40 all I really needed was like $500 or $1000. By the time I was playing $80-$160, a $5000 loan would go a long way. Especially if I played $30-$60 for a while. One day, I'll tell you a great story about two weeks of $30-$60, 140 hours in two weeks....
can't wait to hear it
:club: awesome.....
So, you obviously shunned bankroll management. You basically sat in with one buy in and hoped you made a good run, if you went broke you just borrowed more?Honestly, what do you think about all this bankroll management stuff that we amateurs always talk about? I'm beginning to get this impression that to get to the top you have to put it all on the line.
So, you obviously shunned bankroll management. You basically sat in with one buy in and hoped you made a good run, if you went broke you just borrowed more?Honestly, what do you think about all this bankroll management stuff that we amateurs always talk about? I'm beginning to get this impression that to get to the top you have to put it all on the line.
Sure. If you are any good and can beat that high a game. Just dont cry when you go busto, unless you are a proven commodity and have credible borrowing power.If not, always follow proper BR management. :club:
I always felt comfortable playing with a 50 bet bankroll. Of course online that doesn't seem like very much, but it was tough for me to lose $1000 playing $10-$20. The only reason I approached poker that way was because my liquid bankroll may have only been 50 bets, but I knew that people trusted me enough to loan me money if I needed it. It was a different poker world back then...
I always felt comfortable playing with a 50 bet bankroll. Of course online that doesn't seem like very much, but it was tough for me to lose $1000 playing $10-$20. The only reason I approached poker that way was because my liquid bankroll may have only been 50 bets, but I knew that people trusted me enough to loan me money if I needed it. It was a different poker world back then...
so, if you went broke, noone would lend you money? I'm sure they would.
so, if you went broke, noone would lend you money? I'm sure they would.
I think (sorry to intrude) that he meant that he would have NO trouble at all getting a re-load, and knowing that definitely allows you to open up your game and play uninhibited. Can't wait to hear about that marathon $30 $60 session... :club:
Two words: John Juanda.Negreanu took a lot of shots, and wasn't afraid of going broke: that's one of the key characteristics to a top professional in the making.
I've borrowed money from lots of people, John included. I've also loaned a lot of people money on the way up to, some of whom would surprise you big time. And no, I'm not telling you who!
Two words: John Juanda.Negreanu took a lot of shots, and wasn't afraid of going broke: that's one of the key characteristics to a top professional in the making.
SO true. Scared money is dead money. :club:
I've borrowed money from lots of people, John included. I've also loaned a lot of people money on the way up to, some of whom would surprise you big time. And no, I'm not telling you who!
Hey, I said I'd pay you back some day... :club: If Mike Matusow NEVER borrowed from you, I'd be surprised. :D
You've talked somewhat candidly about your past (ups/downs). I don't know what's happening with the books you're working on.It seems to me that if you are willing, it would be great to hear the good, bad, and the ugly (cue whistle) of the 'real gambling' lifestyle.Starting out as a pool player and then evolving, I think it would be great to hear stories.Rags to Riches to Rages to Riches...etc.Because of where you are in the public's eye right now, it seems like you would be a good fit to tell as much as you're willing to tell about what many 'famous' gamblers lives were all really about. The somewhat degenerate lifestyle. And...since you'd tell it in first person (not talking about others) it would probably be more accepted.We immortalize many people, and I think the backstory would be great.And...how did you make your first brazillion dollars?
Hey, I said I'd pay you back some day... :club: If Mike Matusow NEVER borrowed from you, I'd be surprised. :D
I Think Daniel might know better than to LEND Mike Mausow money. Mike doesn't really have the best money management skills.
I Think Daniel might know better than to LEND Mike Mausow money. Mike doesn't really have the best money management skills.
I know for a fact that DN has lent Mikey money. So has Phil Hellmuth.
My guesses;People DN has NOT loaned money too:ShiekyFarhahMeAnnie DukeMoneymakerRaymerHis BrotherFidlerFergusenBill FristPeople DN HAS loaned money too:DoyleFlackMatusowIveyCunninghamDeebGreensteinEngE-Dog
LOL, yesterday was football day man, give me a break! When I went broke I'd just borrow money. When I went broke it was mainly just because I was playing too high and/or wasn't good enough yet to beat the games I was in.
I'm busto and am looking for someone to back me with 5 buyins to the 25/50 SHNL game. PM me. :club: ok, not really busto but not rolled to play the 25/50 game. so........ A HUGE second on the backstory of a pro poker player making it. I love to read about gamblers and the road.
I knew John (we knew him as Johnson) when he was living in Stillwater, OK. I would hang out with him and some of his friends at a local pool hall. After seeing him around his friends. It is no suprise to me that he would lend a hand out to a good friend, especially one that he believed in.